Just drove the F8 spider | FerrariChat

Just drove the F8 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jul 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I drove the F8 spider earlier today. Below is what I could glean in my short drive. "Ngcanada" posted his review of the coupe version recently. This will piggy-back onto his in all likelihood.

First, some reference points. I was the original owner of 360, 430, and 458 coupes. Currently I have a 2013 spider that I specced as well. 7 years ago I posted about what I thought were steering rack issues. Several years later people started jumping on this anti-spider bandwagon. How much was first hand experience and how much was their attempts to sound knowledgeable I have no idea. Still even more years after that post I tried to explain how I am able to enjoy the car despite some compromises. The point being, I try to be very objective.

FWIW, this was the Euro spec car pictured in EVO. It was yellow with a navy interior. Car had the particulate filter in the exhaust.

Let's start with the interior. The race seats are just like mine although with different pattern. The lifter was a nice touch. $2500 nice, I don't know!
    The steering wheel shape is different and the wheel diameter is slightly smaller. What you notice upon turning is that the rim thickness is less than the 458. I am SURE you would never notice this except by comparison. But, on the other hand, with the car's demeanor while driving I wouldn't have minded a thicker wheel.

Speaking of the steering wheel, The car has a higher effort and slightly slower rack. Or at least that is how it feels. I like the heft of it. How much is related to the tires which are bigger than the standard 458 (same as Speciale) how much is design is unknown to me. It felt good though.

Going down the road I can tell you the following:
    1) the structure of the car is much better than the 458. Autocar.co.uk has a good review of the spider and they still think a little flexible. My hands and butt say it is vastly better than the 458.
    2) the torque produced by the motor gives it a more relaxed ability than the 458. Meaning, I was going fairly slow in 3rd gear tootling along and was able to dip into the throttle and scoot. The pull albeit way stronger is not frantic. Think longer, stronger rather than shorter/climactic in nature. Versus my experience in the 488, the pull feels much more linear and stronger. The 488 seemed to have a second pull higher in the RPM range almost like some old school vario-ram set up before the best electronic days. Also, getting on the 488 never seemed to scare me the way the F8 can get a head of steam.
    3) the shifts were always accompanied by a smooth transition. Many times downshifting in the 458 -especially if you are not very high in the RPM range - can make the car almost stumble. Sort of like a bad heel and toe. Nothing bad, just not a perfect downshift. In higher ranges I have never had it. In the F8, everything is smooth as silk.
    4) the relaxed nature of the motor combined with the smooth shifts are as much a plus as they are a minus for me. On the one hand, it was a pleasure to drive. On the other hand, for a weekend toy to transport me into automotive heaven, not so much. I think you have to decide what strengths you prefer and how the car will be used to determine if my impression is a good or bad thing.
    5)The front end tracks fantastically! I made a turn faster and sharper than I had planned. The car was on rails.
    6) sound or should I say the lack of it, is an issue this forum goes nuts over. Road and Track just reviewed this car and panned the exhaust note. Autocar video of car sounded fine to me. This car was neither bad nor loud! I wonder if with the roof down the hot tube they designed is rendered non functional until the roof goes up. Point of honesty: I did not ask if it had the coupe's hot tube. Just assumed it did and I accept my possibly being wrong.

This sound area is a hotly contested point. I will not say anything but these few things about it. The dealer swears to me that US cars WILL get the filter but that the US cars are louder than Europe due to different standards. They have an F8 coupe with the filter which they swear in comparison is louder. The dealer's Uber-tech who I have mentioned before says that in the Roma, Ferrari took off the mufflers and just runs cats and filter to get back some of the sound. Said the mufflers aren't even needed. Just the messenger here.

Net: going down the road based on what I experienced with my hands, butt, ears, and eyes was that I was in a very fast and expensive GT. It had a very different character to the 458. Dramatic was not an adjective I would use. Quality and refinement are.

Best

2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Like a Bentley?

3. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I never drove a Bentley!
    But I want to. On my list of cars I really want to look at after someone takes the initial hit.

The best way to describe is that it didn't have any rough edges. Meaning, a GT3 or AMG might be stiff legged at slow speeds, but once under way (highway for the AMG, twisties for the Porsche) they come into their own. The Ferrari just seemed "easy" to drive slow. My 458 is out of the torque curve way down low. The suspension despite having the magnetic shocks and bumpy road, is just not as "unfazed" as the F8. While the F8 can change directions on a dime and do it flat, think "heavy" feeling. Not as in lumbering or a negative. Just nailed down. Sports cars are usually more compromised if that makes sense.

I forget to mention that the paddle pull is different. It doesn't have that creamy, fluid feel anymore. Not quite video game "clicky" like my Golf R, but lighter and less tactile.

Best

italiafan likes this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hmmmmm. I read reviews like this from experienced members, and it makes me wonder how much I’d regret selling my 458 Spider to trade up to a “more perfect” specimen. I’ve grown accustomed to most of its flaws (except the incoming phone call volume, LOL), and it’s still a great car to drive.

VAF84 and italiafan like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A very nice review.:)

One thing that comes to mind is my first track experience with the 488. As you say in the end, drama is not the adjective. I remember thinking how nice and comfy it was, but also thinking about whether or not it would track well. I was so surprised that it did so well, and all the drama was there. I realized that none of the drama had been lost, but rather another layer and ability had been added. The F8 and 488 does have some GT attributes, but boy do they fade fast once you start pushing. More alive and wild than the 458 as everything happens so fast.

You are right about the steering feel. It has little to do with the tyres, but everything to do with the fact that Ferrari added some weight to it. This was done as early as with the Speciale. Like with the overly sensitive throttle of the 458, Ferrari backed the sensitivity off on both steering, throttle and the jerky gear shifts. It's a bit of the same with the F12 vs. 812. Both have fast racks, but as with the 458, it seemed like Ferrari realized that the F12 steering was too light and thus added some weight back into the 812. Same with the throttle. The F12 throttle sensitivity is not as bad as the 458, but still too much, so this was backed off on the 812 too.

All these changes may make the F8 feel less dramatic initially, but it makes for a better driving car from a performance standpoint.

It is of course very personal, but the extreme sensitivity of the 458 was never something I considered dramatic. The adjectives I find fits, are artificial and disconnected.

Did you get a chance to push the car in CT-OFF?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Coincid and LVP488 like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Stop please LOL

7. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Didn’t push it in CT/off
    Not “my” car and I really like to know a car before pushing it.
    Drove it the way I would typically drive my car to see if I would like the switch.
    Best

VAF84 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Honest good review thank you.. I drove the coupe and really liked it I actually found the sound inside the cabin to be very nice, almost wow nice! I like the new wheel and tech, it makes for a more daily type of super car. I guess this brings me back to my point that the new turbo V8s are less Sunday drives only and more like nice day drives, even to the office (if I can hide) cars. They are great in the city and just cruising around then when you have room you can push it a bit or take a nice corner. Conversely the 458/Speciale are to me more weekend driving cars.. or going somewhere where you can drive a bit - not the best cars to be just cruising around in at low speeds, hope I made a bit of sense. The F8 spider is a great package and I know a few people that have ordered them and the spider has a solid wait here in Canada.

Drson, sampelligrino and Randyslovis like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nice review, refreshing from the drama of only speed matters peeps.

I had a 488 spider for a while and it was so much more rigid than the 458 spiders. Imagine the F8 is even a little better. good GT car for sure.

10. Thanks for the review.

Sounds very much like a RWD Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    where is he?

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    do you want me to ping him? :p

13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    it does look good though. Ferrari obviously is shifting its target audience and widening the net to capture more people. Most people don't like raw cars. Roma, F8 will be able to bring in new customers. Ferrari must have calculated the net gain of customer base. They think they will gain more by going this route. However, I think they overestimated the earning power of these new customer base. This younger generation of customer who is 35+ years old will have a lot of competing priorities, house, spouse, kids college. Those older folks like us whose kids already graduated from colleges, have multiple houses (wives!?) and numerous Ferraris were attracted to Ferrari for its allures, which obviously are being diluted further by the fact that the company is public and that everyone with the means can simply purchase one. And Ferrari's calculations allowed them to tolerate the loss of us, the older folks.

14. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This is such a good point you make. The newer cars present an expanded portfolio of offerings, the issue of course being that a lot of users don't get to experience the full range due to various limitations and judge the newer cars poorly vs the 458.

PhilNotHill and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ah dude! Isn't that something male dogs do to each other?:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep no argument from me on that one. I've laid it out and i'm not changing my story. If the rest think different then knock yourselves out.

17. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Not to start something, but on my test drive of the F8 which was a long one, the salesman was preaching this to me the whole time that the F8 can be driven every day all day as it is a much more comfortable car and much easier car than the 458/488. He said this car is so easy to live with as the 458 is more of an event to drive and can be driven only on weekends or short trips. So all that talk about Bentley, the salesman certainly did not say the word Bentley, but he certainly described the F8 to me with a lot of Bentley characteristics.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #18 Shadowfax, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Yup. It is what it is. Even a seasoned salesman will struggle selling it as a sports car. It hasn't got an ounce of mongrel dog in it unless you pin the throttle to the floor - which you can barely do for a second or more on a public rd. Aaanyway. Did I hear someone say Bentley? :D

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The F8 daily point is a great one. I wouldn’t want to drive the 458 every day. At low speeds the throttle is jerky. The DCT is jerky. It doesn’t make the most pleasant noises at cruising speed. The phone integration is laughable. Etc. I’m 10000% convinced the F8 would be a day superior daily and also faster. But when the road opens up, and the windows crack down nothing beats stepping on the 458 in second gear and hear the revs scream to 9k in 2/3/4. The acceleration isn’t mega, I own faster cars, but the sensation of that screaming engine, the vibration, the total package is special.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think that's about the score of it but the only problem with it as a daily is you can't park the bloody thing anywhere or leave it out of sight for any length of time in fear of coming back and finding some a - hole has bumped into it. So to trundle around town in 600k car which draws nothing but attention when you cant get clear of the daily grind kinda defeats the purpose of even taking it out of the garage. These are meant to be special fun cars and while it can be used as a shopping hack doesn't mean it is likely to ever get used for that purpose for obvious reasons. Fun isn't just being looked at surely....or maybe it is for some? These cars were made to be driven hard and fast!!

ntatfas likes this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To fully appreciate the true nature of the F8 is the necessity of exploiting its stellar driving capabilities. The harder you push it, the greater the appreciation of its compelling and engaging driving dynamics. Race mode, CT and ESC disabled, will elevate the senses and get the heart pounding. The immense objective achievement wrought by the F8 will translate to subjective excitement depending upon how it is driven.

Drson and ntatfas like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ya, this is a good point. It makes the M5 a great daily. It blends in. I never worry about the car. Especially in today’s environment with the younger generation so volatile you park your F8 somewhere and protest materializes out of nowhere and your car gets destroyed. Sounds hyperbolic. It’s not. I went to the gym two weeks ago, nothing as I walked in, and I came out there was a full blown protest marching around with BLM signs screaming for God knows what. I would have been very uncomfortable if my Ferrari were parked near that.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    eh, I mean, F8 is beautiful, but it’s no great achievement. It’s a 488 Evo. I can buy the SF90 as a great achievement.

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #24 IPO1, Jul 15, 2020
    Think those cancel culture thugs will be happy to throw a mailbox through your M5 window and jump all over it.

I'm more convinced everyday, during this time of civil unrest, that my Raptor is best DD. Let them try and get in front of it...

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, Jul 15, 2020
    The same could be said for any sports car though. Jump into a 600lt or Porsche GT car and the F8 becomes a snooze fest in the types of driving conditions you speak of.

So it's in this context I question F8 as becoming somewhat lost in a forest of luxury cars that are probably more usable and easier to fit into the street parking arrangements which exist these days. Sadly not everyone will appreciate the beauty of a parked F8 in a lonely street or communal street parking affair. So the whole talk of being a brilliant DD as being some kind of fall back position doesn't translate into reality. This is the dilemma one becomes faced with.

Randyslovis and VAF84 like this.