Antigravity battery on 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Antigravity battery on 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by csteve, Jun 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Out of stock

3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I have the Antigravity H6 40Ah on my 458 as the 60Ah wasn't launched at that time..The 40Ah is fine however as Ferraris have extremely high parasitic draws i would only fit the 60Ah battery in future..Porsches have much lower draw so a 40Ah is more than plenty.

4. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I had received two remotes with the Antigravity battery. I wouldn't leave a remote in the glovebox. Leave it in one of the door storage areas.
    If the battery goes dead you won't be able to get in the glovebox. My second remote sits in the garage. You won't have to deal with a shattered window that way. Anyway, I am not sure why you don't have two remotes

5. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I do have 2 remotes

I will put it in the door as you do, thanks for the advice I didn't think it through

Need4Spd likes this.
  6. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Is there a special installation procedure or is this a straight swap ?

7. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Pretty straight forward I did have an issue getting the neg side floor bolt hold down in also the original pos side had plastic pins that fit the original battery that you just move out of the way when you reinstall the new battery

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Regarding the glove box. In the event of a loss of power, there is an emergency mechanical pull string located beneath the glovebox, a thin red pull loop string.

9. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Thanks. Did the computer need resetting ?

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The CTEK 7002 has a “supply” mode that provides steady current acting like a battery. Plug it into a live cigar socket while you do the swap and the systems that have volatile memory (forgets when it’s not fed power), should retain it. I’m sure there is some risk of doing that, however, since then the car will have some live circuits.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/products/ctek-multi-us-7002

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    How much is the 60 antigravity battery?
    (I bought and self installed the Braille)

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ~$1k

MalibuGuy likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's in your owners manual. Resetting is super easy to do. Yes you can do what N4S suggest, but don't. No need to, and the risk is far too great. Some of the ECUs are extremely sensitive, and it takes next to nothing to screw something up

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks! That’s a good price. The costs for Li Ion are coming down. Do you know if the antigravity has a low voltage protection shut off feature. This protects the battery from being damaged when the voltage drops below a certain level.

The CTEK lithium charger is the tender to get. You can buy a 458 connector adaptor (from Ferrari) which allow the tender to connect to the standard factory plug in location. And the CTEK has the ability to un-lock the low voltage protection and re-charge the battery.

16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just installed mine yesterday. Seems to work well. Added the Bluetooth voltage monitor as well.

Will do some directed experiments to see how long it lasts off tender and how much driving is needed to fully charge the batter after a week or two...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Need4Spd likes this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  18. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The 60 Ah battery is back in stock and they are running a 15% off discount this weekend. Just ordered one for my 458.

19. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Been almost seven weeks with the 40Ah Antigravity battery in my 2012 458.

Flawless so far. Only plugged In tender once to see what it would do. Else the draw down is small. Longest I’ve gone without starting the car has been a week but the draw down was only about 5%. Don’t see any issue going two weeks not on a tender.

Have had no warning messages at all.

Recommended.

SV

20. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Any info as to if making this swap invalidates the New Power warranty? This is the only reason holding me back. My car is currently plugged into the tender.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It does not. But Ferrari will sulk and tell you that they will not warrant your new battery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW the company was non responsive in my attempts to purchase a battery, granted it was 8 weeks ago during COVID

23. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Reach out to [email protected]

24. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    I’ve
    I’ve asked two dealership service managers. Both were non committal. Personally I would want it in writing from someone with authority.
    The thought of having to shell out for a DCT because Ferrari invalidated the warranty is not worth it.
    Alternatively I wondered about swapping the antigravity for an Odessy before each service. Can they tell if the battery has been swapped ?

25. Patrick Hsieh

Patrick Hsieh Rookie

May 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Pat Shay
    I just install a new anti-gravity battery into my 458. Once the battery is installed, the electrical system comes on. Everything seems to be working, except when I try to start and crank the engine. The engine will not turn on, and there’s no crank and the engine won’t start. the electrical system shuts off automatically after that. Anyone ran into this issues and can offer help with this?