430 - Why do we own these cars? | FerrariChat

430 Why do we own these cars?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OK… So I know this thread has often been repeated, but I had to say it one more time. I am the happy owner of a 2007 F431 spider, triple Nero.
    I acquired it almost 2 years ago, with 18,000 miles, and I now have 24,000 miles, I wish I had 30,000 miles, my mother-in-law is here in town visiting. We woke up this morning and she said I have not been in your car for a long time, let’s go out for a nice ride and then maybe hit 120 on the turnpike....! Not only do I love my wife, but I love my mother-in-law. We drove around town, we laughed, we giggled, we love the sound, and they sure as ****, we had 122 on the way home. This car is amazing. I will never sell it Image Unavailable, Please Login

Morale of the story… Life is short. Go out and enjoy your toys

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    how much did you pay for your car did you purchase from a ferrari dealer

3. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is such a great story! We are lucky enough to own these cars and we should enjoy them. Yours is beautiful. How do you keep it looking great? Is it wrapped?

tomc likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    No… I have paint protection film on the half hood mirrors and quarter panels that’s

I love this car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I bought a Gated 430 about a year and a half ago. Needless to say it's been an unreal experience.
    I live in Az and my Dad flew down from Michigan for a couple days to sit in and drive his first Ferrari as did I. He is a pretty skilled driver so we broke it in and hit some crazy mountain road with unbelievable views. I was riding shotgun and he was getting into it on the corners. He looks at me and says it seems the harder you push her the more she digs in and handles. Then he continues to tear through the corners and starts giggling like a child. It's was kinda scary. Lol. When we got down the mountain his face turns serious and he looks at me and says "Zack, I am blessed to experience something like this in my lifetime with you". It was an amazing Father & Son moment.

Attached Files:

Red 27, Hypek9, G. Pepper and 13 others like this.
  6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I love threads like this. I love that the op loves his mother in law (lol), and I love hearing Zach’s story. Zach, when my scud gets here (Friday!) we need to organize a drive (provided its fully operational and not a bucket of bolts, which remains to be seen!). I’m in Gilbert but work in Scottsdale. Cherish that dad of yours. Most of my coolest car adventures occurred after mine passed unexpectedly, and although we had fun with his 997 c4s, cayenne turbo, and a few of my non Gt3 variant Porsches, one of my biggest regrets is that he never got to experience all my gt3’s, the gated gallardo, and my soon-to-arrive first Ferrari.

mwstewart, lewishou and cole328 like this.
  7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cars are in my genes. My earliest memories are of my dad and his passion for cars. That passion was handed down to me. Really wish he were around to see that I own a Ferrari. Wish he were around to let him show me how to drive it.

mwstewart, C50, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #8 KC360 FL, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    I agree with Eric. It's in your blood, your genes, it's part of you. I had an uncle who raced roundy rounds in the 70's. He was my hero. But unlike Eric's Dad, My Dad was not so much a car guy as one who would learn enough to keep his running. He always thought I was crazy to fix up the cars I had. I bought my first "nice" car out of college; a decent little 1969 Porsche 912 5 speed. I got it cheap because it needed a clutch. My dad just shook his head. Not because I did the job in the driveway (I was living at home right after I graduated college) but as a working class family he could not understand how I could take a loan on a car that I had to pull the motor from and put in a new clutch. A few years later when he passed away I found out from his friends he constantly bragged about all the work I did on the car and how nice I made it.

I join Eric in his sentiments. I wish my Dad was here to see how hard I worked and the cars I have now-- especially the Ferrari. He would probably still think I was crazy to spend that kind of money on a car but I'm sure he would brag to his friends behind my back. Which would be cool. Every time I get into the driver's seat of my Ferrari, I think of him, a maintenance man and my mom an elementary school cafeteria manager, and how hard they worked to put me through college and of course ultimately in this position of success.

"Why do we own these cars?"
    My cars are my drive in life (no pun intended) and they have gotten me through some pretty tough times. Building and working on them have provided a kind of sanctuary when I really needed it.
    And I actually have made a living doing just that for almost 30 years.

ryalex and Eric C like this.
  9. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Looking forward to hearing more stories. I'm wrestling with a difficult choice...

For fun I have a 2014 Carrera S, a 328 GTS and a 2012 Miata. Considering selling all for a 430 Spyder to convert to manual. Would help consolidate/simplify my stable while upgrading my F-car experience.

Hoping I don't regret the hassle and depreciation hits. The Porsche is a spectacularly good car in my perfect spec; I'm sure it's as fast and handles as well as the 430, and sounds great with the sport exhaust. Fit and finish are spectacular and it's 9 years newer than the 430 tech. And Porsche maintenance is far less expensive than Ferrari.

Still, as a play car a relatively modern, open, mid-engine, manual Ferrari seems to hit all the right notes.

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    911's are wonderful cars. I've had several and loved them all and every one was a stick. But truth be told as I got better as a driver, they seemed to be too predictable and in a way docile. My last 911 was traded in for my current '03 360 F1. The 360 feels a lot more edgy and raw than the 911 was. I don't miss the 911 and I don't miss a stick. But with that said the 911 stick is very precise and feels so deliberate when shifting. After driving a 360 stick I was disappointed with the long throws and having to navigate the "gate". I didn't like it. My F1 360 suits me and the shifts are hard and fast but also can be soft and non-jarring if you want since the TCU relies on the accelerator inputs. I doubt the 430 would feel much different with the exception of the added HP.

Have you driven a 430 3 pedal car? You may find that the F1 trans has more to like than you think. But of course if you are going to make the leap, you will be buying an F1 car only hoping later to convert it to a stick. So you will undoubtedly have the opportunity to audition the F1 in the 430 first before diving into the stick conversion.

But you are spot on: the 911s are almost maintenance free cars, almost.

One other point... I always felt the 911 had too many plastic interior pieces. As I got acquainted with my 360 it was surprising how many parts that I expected to be plastic were aluminum.
    After years of owning 911s I just felt I wanted to experience a Ferrari. 3 years and not one regret.

hope this was helpful,
    Ken

G. Pepper, curvesurfer and Apollo 11 like this.
  11. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Helpful Ken!

My 911 is a PDK, but of course my 328 and Miata are manuals. So I appreciate a competent paddle system (and the PDK is telepathic in auto mode). I’m leaning towards converting a 430 because as a street driver I find I’m more engaged in *driving* a manual and happier at lower speeds than with the autos where I tend to focus on outright pace. I can work on gear selection and rev matching rather than pushing for maximum speed.

But you’re spot on: buying an F1 with plans to convert allows me to drive it awhile before committing!

Agree too, modern 911s are almost too competent: so composed and easy to drive fast. You have to really push to feel anything. I’m craving something more visceral.

Depressed prices on 328s may give me pause about making a change, but I’m not sure that’s going to improve any time soon.

12. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    Nice list of fun cars, which understandably makes it a tough decision to consolidate.
    That being said, the 430 is truly an exciting car and I don't think you will be disappointed if you end up taking the leap.
    Looks like we are neighbors. May be I will run into you on one of my weekend morning drives.

Lewis

13. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    I actually have 2 Miatas, and a vintage 911 too, so consolidating isn’t THAT big of a sacrifice. ;)

If you’re in Atherton we’re neighbors indeed, I’m right off Alameda de Las Pulgas near the Atherton border!

14. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Curvesurfer, here are my two cents regarding consolidating a “fleet” in exchange for one exotic. I did that once and got rid of a 997 Gt3 and another car for a perfect condition gated gallardo. Although I loved the Lambo, (and still have it), my daily was very boring (Chevy Volt for carpool lane access!) and I found that owning an “exotic” as my only “fun” car was not a good fit for me. That’s because it got so much attention and I had such a strong desire to keep it in great shape that after the novelty wore off a bit I found myself not driving it all that much. Which meant I was effectively resigned to a Chevy Volt for 90% of the time. So I added back a 996 Gt3 and was much happier because that car was a good fit when I didn’t want to drive my boring Chevy but didn’t want to create a scene or look like I was flexing on people every time I dropped off a kid at school, picked up someone from a practice, or made a run to Home Depot. The Porsche was great for that because it was so much more under the radar (except for enthusiast types). With that said, everyone is different and where you live and how you intend to use the car definitely make a difference, But I’d at least keep the Miata (because they are super fun!). Good luck, first world problems right?

15. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Oops, never mind, just saw your last post. You can disregard everything I just wrote since you won’t be trading your entire fleet for one exotic! I just sold my hot rod stripped out 911sc to make room for the incoming scud and already miss it!

curvesurfer likes this.
  16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Right in the feels with that one! It's true though. This is such a wonderful blessing to have fun toys and memories to share.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My Dad is very serious and not a daring driver at all - when he came for a week last year I got him to ride once in the 458 but he wouldn't drive it at all despite a week of me prodding him. They did use the Giulia Quadrifoglio to get around - I suspect they never even hit 46mph - but my stepmom told me he was telling his friends about my cars and how he drove the QV for a week. ;)

mwstewart and Eric C like this.
  17. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Ha! Yeah, we’re fortunate. Your point crossed my mind. 911s are some common where I live nobody gives them a second glance. I wonder if the 430 will get too much attention. By my “Volt” is a Macan so I have a fun DD, not that I drive anywhere much anymore (other than for fun) since COVID.

So my play cars are just for that, and on the weekend where I drive a 430 won’t get much attention either. TWO McLaren P1s showed up at the usual hangout last weekend....

my 71 911 has a 3.2 swap so we have similar taste!

mwstewart likes this.
  18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice stories above. My Dad came with me to collect my first F430 and he has been a regular passenger in both cars. Dad also helped with some of the project work.

I remember the laugh out loud moments in the first car after fitting aftermarket manifolds - the sound was something new for both of us.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper, Husker, tomc and 2 others like this.
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    turns out my 06 had a clogged muffler. Bradan replaced the mufflers (oem) and the car sounds unbelievable (capristo headers and capristo 200 cel cats). the sound is a large part of why i love driving and owning a 430.

20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My CS flyby

DOWORKFCAR and Apollo 11 like this.
  21. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    @cole328 forget the car... what I would give for a mother-in-law like yours....
    Enjoy the car and the mother-in-law, you are one lucky guy...

22. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I also had a 2014 Carrera S, but mine was a manual. I took European delivery of the car, and my wife and I had a spectacular driving trip around Europe for the next 11 days. It was SUCH an emotional decision to decide to sell the car.

I bought my 360 Modena shortly thereafter, though, and I have NO regrets! (Currently undergoing Gated manual conversion.) I will always have the memories!!

Kevin

curvesurfer likes this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    ha....indeed! I am a lucky man, as her daughter, my wife, is even more amazing. Have a great day guys!

24. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Sorry just saw this note I paid $107k plus tax two years ago....I think I got a great deal, as the car has the CF rear challenge grill and CCB's Bought from a local indie dealer, and then had the PPI handled by a local independent mechanic

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You said, great wives are rare enough, great MILs, that's unicorn territory!
    Sharing these cars with loved ones, enthusiasts and friends is what this hobby is all about IMO.
    T

mwstewart likes this.