Let me be truly honest..... | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Let me be truly honest.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    hate you guys. After reading all your excitement, let me present my .2 manual GT3 that I really thought was boring. Maybe I should have kept it longer. I passed the PTS window by one day, thus no acid green and that definitely tamed my expectations.

Attached Files:

AlfistaPortoghese and italiafan like this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

On RL there is a registry of GT3 colors, mine is the only Arena Red on there, it might be the only one for the 991.2 GT3, or one of a few at best. Old Porsche color....”Kills Bugs Fast!” :)

johnr265, Gh21631 and IloveGT like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    400 hp and 0-60 in over 4 seconds. Lol. Amazing how things have changed.

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    and “turbo” meant it was the baddest machine on the roads! :D

technom3, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    When I was younger my uncle had a Ferrari Mondial. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. We thought it was heaven on wheels at the time. Lol

Thecadster likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    No kidding! I remember R&T/C&D articles about cars battling 0-60 trying to break the mythical 6 sec barrier!
    Also, remember the days when your only car info was perusing the magazine rack at the store looking for latest monthly releases?

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

She is beautiful and even better time to buy

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Mazda RX2 made many a Ferrari owner totally embarrassed in the day. Standard cars were basically slow.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Car and driver had that one page where they listed all the cars and the 0-60 times . Man I couldn’t wait till my monthly edition came!

10. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    It does kill bugs fast.. arena red
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Pics please !

Sent from my 16M

12. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    ryalex, tomc, pninja005 and 5 others like this.
  13. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    IloveGT likes this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    sampelligrino likes this.
  15. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I've owned and driven so many cars but ironically, though I have always loved them, not a Mustang. My gut feeling as compared to the GT350R is, the Z28 has more torque, more weight, and more brute strength rather than finesse but I cannot back up those statements. Z28's did not hold their value well and were (and probably still are) a flaming bargain. MSRP was 73k, I think I paid in the mid 50's off the showroom floor, and traded it in to the dealer in the low 40's for a 458. To properly track it though, I did have to do some light suspension mods as it needed a lot of negative camber to not toast the outer edge of the tires. Stock, you can get -2F/-1.5R. I installed the high wicker bill for aero, front camber plates, rear toe arms, rear trailing arms, and rear lower control arm to get -3F/-1.8R. With that, I could keep up with well driven 997 GT3's on track (991 properly driven were faster).

The Z28 sounded amazing, had just mammoth brakes, and carved an amazing line on the street or track. It had the trick spool valve shocks which you could only find on the Aston Martin Valkerie and Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull F1 car at the time. The interior had the Recaro seats but as a GM product, the quality of the materials was awful and had the classic green LED rental car numbers and letters on the dash. The high beltline made you feel like you were in a WW2 tank and the visability around the car was pretty poor (whether front, side or rear). I generated so much heat in those brakes on the track that I had a couple of bleeder screws freeze in place and shear off trying to loosen the bleeder screw (though they never overheated or faded at the track with Motul 600 fluid). That car was all about the engine and defying physics. What an engineering feat for GM though and I really applaud the engineers who made it. Still, a C6 Z06 with the same engine is some 6-800lbs lighter, and more nimble. Despite slightly numb steering, tricky to modulate brakes, and a suspension with a remarkable amount of body roll, that gen Z06 eats Porsche Cup cars for lunch (that's my current track car so at least I still own an LS7 powered car).

Also heard you have to make sure if you get a GT350 to make sure you get track pack and not a tech pack example or else there were heat generation issues at the track. The Z28 came with instructions to run 15W50 oil and special coolant on the track and I never had a problem with overheating issues.

mdrums and SoCal to az like this.
  16. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Coincid likes this.
  17. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks...I’ve had the Aperta for several years. Every time I drive it I always tell my wife “that car is just freakin’ awesome”!
    Do you still have your 16M?

IloveGT likes this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wonderful, I need one !
    I just sold my 16M so now I need a convertible....would love to trade my Speciale for an Aperta....

Sent from my 16M

19. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Still have my 16M. Love that car just don’t drive it enough!

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Really? Your crystal ball can predict that? With 20k plus cars made and the subsequent years making an extremely similar car... You think it will be worth more?

Please explain how a 355 in a stick isn't worth a multiple of a 458 despite it sounding basically better than any Ferrari ever made and being available in limited numbers. And if you say maintenance. Still factoring in 8k majors every 5 years is no big deal. Especially when people start seeing how expensive that 458s can be over time especially with brake rotors and transmissions.

A 355 should be a multiple of a 458 by collectibility metrics. However they aren't.

LVP488, SoCal to az, HH11 and 2 others like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I already regret selling mine lol

Sent from my 16M

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That’s a shocka! :)

plastique999 likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It remains to me that an open top, ( spider, spyder, cabriolet, convertible ) track focused car, is an oxymoron.

REALZEUS, Gh21631 and LVP488 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont disagree but the 16M is one heck of a car. I do believe I will eventually add one but I have too much going on right now.

25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my very humble opinion, this is somewhat of a pertinent analogy regarding sound: racing. More specifically, Formula 1 versus Formula E(lectric).

Same metrics, same aim (to entertain and excite).

Even taking into account, as an academic hypothesis merely, that Formula E racing can be even more exciting and held at much more interesting venues (as there are no noise/pollution restrictions, Grand Prix can be held in central Paris or London), do you get the same kick out of:

BMW Williams F1 Team’s Juan Pablo Montoya, driving a V10 naturally aspirated engine peaking in excess of 20.000 rpm in qualifying trim:

Or a Formula E around Monaco:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Minte and soulsea like this.