Time up for Binotto? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Time up for Binotto?

Discussion in 'F1' started by garrobitto, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    They need to:
    1) get a leader in the top spot;
    2) sort out the tactics;
    3) sort out the technical mess they are in. To not have the modelling and real performance correlating is really worrying. Either they have some school boy error or there is some fundamental issues. As so much is/ can be simulated these days and with the cost cap coming; any team that hasn’t got this sorted is screwed.

garrobitto likes this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    4) Stop firing people who then go working at Mercedes and give away all the tricks

Binotto too already had an offer there before Arrivabene “badly left”

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ron Dennis.

amerikalei likes this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think that would raise a wry smile from him. Not in a million years will SF hire him, stepneygate ?

This correlation issue is wearing thin, they supposedly had this years ago, so if it is legitimate then the whole aero team need sacking.

even SF must of figured out by now that all the engineers that have left have done a good job elsewhere, so its internal.......period

classic308 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sure and put Dracula in charge of a young girls convent school:D

Seriously he is Darth Vader Voldemort, the antichrist of the Scuderia....I don't think he would want it for having hated Ferrari during the 8o's 90's neither should they want him.. What I dislike for the most is that he singlehandedly gave the entire paddock a detestable cold unfriendly atmosphere in his humorless all out war with Ferrari. Now F1 is friendly there is a great atmosphere great banter between the drivers...I like it a lot better.

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Wild card time.

How about somebody from outside of F1 but who knows how to win big in other sports.
    Such as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brailsford

I have no particular interest in cycling but this guy knows how to win.
    Yes, he was involved in an unproven doping scandal, but Binotto was involved in a proven fuel flow scandal, so lets not get moralistic.
    Plus, as having the press on your back is part of the SF TP job, he knows a bit about it.

After all team leadership doesn't necessitate and deep knowledge of F1, race driving or engineering.
    It means knitting together people who do have that knowledge, and getting them to perform.

That was Brawn's real strength after all.

TonyL likes this.
  7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    He comes across me as a weak leader. Arri was much much better.

william likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Spot on !

It's the atmosphere that's bad. The change of team principal don't seem to change that.

ebobh15, ferrariformulauno and TonyL like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's reminds me how Benetton gambled when they took Flavio Briatore out of a marketing position to make him manager of the F1 team they just bought.

Alledgedly Briatore had no racing experience background at all, and once boasted never having attended a motor race of any sort before getting the job!

Apparently chosen to sort out the dodgy finances after the purchase from Toleman, he took to F1 like a duck to water and got Benetton with 2 titles before long.

In an interview, Briatore said that knowing nothing about F1 was an advantage because he had no preconceived idea about running a team.

He just applied in F1 the business approach that made him successful in the Benetton empire.

Maybe Ferrari should recruit a confirmed manager from a different field who don't speak Italian so can totally ignore the media.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Jean Todt after he retires from the FIA. After his appointment by Montezemolo he spearheaded the rebuild of the Scuderia from scratch brought all the right people in and voila more titles than at any other era of Ferrari. When I see him at events he takes everything in he does not miss anything. He could come in just as a consultant and give his review, recommendations to what's his name the new CEO on who to let go, who to hire what to restructure etc.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It's those ridiculous eyeglasses and the goofy hair, how can he expect to be taken seriously?

Red Rocket and Remy Zero like this.
  12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    OTOH, if Ferrari was winning, everyone would love his goofy hair and glasses.

Igor Ound, 635CSI and william like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Wingardium Leviosa!!

furoni likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #39 Nembo1777, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Arrivabene was a bully who tried to intimidate people, my colleague journalists in particular, he was like a mini Putin in not wanting any communication when he had nothing positive or fabricated to say...and he was NOT competent, he ruled by fear and so people dared do nothing. Not constructive at all.

Binotto (Swiss not Italian by the way) is a great engineer but yes we need a team boss a la Todt Brawn Horner Wolf above him so he can concentrate on the tech side. Whatever went on with fuel flow last year happened because he was too busy to manage this and stop the wrongdoing, he was overwhelmed by all his duties and it...sort of happened that is no good.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Haas started out mid-field and has dropped back over its life.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Wasn't bozo in charge of engine development when they developed the first version of the V6 hybrid which was a total failure (turbo too small)?

17. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    How about bringing Ross Brawn back?
    He's done it all already and sold his own team to Mercedes and now retired...
    What a better challenge than to come back and rebuild Scuderia Ferrari?

There's nothing in retirement that could be more fun and challenging and rewarding than that and if he gets it done he will increase his legendary status even more...

Mattia can stay and go back to doing engineering work

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ferrari burned the Brawn/Todt bridges down.

19. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Sounds like the reputation, but he was an old school racer who worked his way up and made a career for himself as a mechanic, then as a top notch race team manager, before the McLaren opportunity came to pass. I've heard about many of the stories about his eccentricities, and I doubt he'd be much fun from an employee standpoint. But despite all that, he ran the team that challenged the Scuderia successfully for many years. I would think Enzo would have appreciated that tenacity, even while doing everything possible to beat it. C'mon, he might take it on just to spite his former peers now retired.

635CSI, 375+ and Nembo1777 like this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And look what is has gotten them......

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    This is Ferrari's problem. there is no clear leader.

as for Sunday- Leclerc got to excited and made a mistake... Binotto cant be held for that.... but he can be held on why they were fighting for 10th and 11th place in qualifying.. when they had 4 months AFTER first testing to make the car better... however I'm for stability vs. change. I don't know who else would go in to Ferrari and really make any difference - that would be a 2-3 year building process.

22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think it is Bernie, not Seb.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  23. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  24. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Don't worry Mattia, I'm sure Mercedes would be happy to have you, as they continue to hire practically everyone Ferrari fires.

TonyL, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, they wouldn't demote him to his previous technical position, they would actually sack him?

Not exactly confidence building for whoever inherit the job, is it?

TonyL likes this.