Project-Scuderia | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Project-Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBM, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flyingtopkart

Flyingtopkart Rookie

Jan 11, 2020
    Sorry OP for going slightly off topic. Freshmeat, I noticed on your IG that your side markers and reflectors are in your Scud body color.

Would you mind sharing how you have done it? Was it a replacement part, or a wrap over it?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Bought additional oem reflectors and had them painted. One the first mods I did to the car back in 2010.

Flyingtopkart likes this.
  4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    There is some weight to be saved by removing the second set of markers from a new-build bumper cover [~1.5 lb for the pair], but less savings from modifying an existing bumper, as the patchwork would consume some of the savings.

The real savings would come from a clean-sheet design bumper manufactured from carbon fiber and/or Kevlar epoxy composite, rather than traditional fiberglass.

freshmeat likes this.
  5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    License plate illuminators and exhaust heat shields installed on the rear bumper. The lights bolt into threaded inserts pre-installed at the manufacturer. The bumper does not come with all the threaded inserts that are required, and the required parts are not on the factory parts list. This is definitely not a bolt-on upgrade for amateurs. The heat shields attach via sheet metal screws which require pre-drilling. Care is required as the screws can strip out the fiberglass. The heat shields have to go on after the lower grill is installed, and they help hold it in place. Threaded clips have also been installed on the tabs where the lower valance attaches. One of the infamous 1-pound Titanium brake rotor hats lurking in the background....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 likes this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I’m guessing you just transferred these over from the us-spec bumper?

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Nope. Riv-nuts are one and done. You need new riv-nuts, a riv-nut gun for installation, and the know-how to use the gun.

freshmeat likes this.
  9. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Looking at the inside of the rear bumper, you can see the wiring harness pigtails coming off the license plate lights and the marker lights, which I moved to the rear reflector slots. The pigtails are long enough to easily reach the connectors in the main harness. You can also see two black plastic spacer blocks either side of the center pigtail. They protect the harness and help set the panel fit. The panel fit is fine-tuned by putting washers on the four studs between the exhaust ports and the marker lights.

Flea7 and mwstewart like this.
  10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Close up of the inside of the rear bumper, showing how the CF upper grill attaches to the mounting points cast in the bumper reinforcement. It's the same for the CF undertray. The reinforcement has tabs extending down, with clip nuts attached. The undertray bolts up to those clips.

11. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    mwstewart and ShineKen like this.
  12. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I upgraded the chunky stock aluminum license plate bracket with the sheet metal screws that strip out way too easy, with a carbon fiber license plate bracket and threaded clip nuts for real machine screws.

RANDY6005, freshmeat and mwstewart like this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great work. Love the bracket. Over here we have a heavy number/licence plate mount so I did away with that and the grille.

Another part that would suit your project is the optional titanium exhaust tip set. The additional length looks great. From memory those and the grill removal saved 3lb.

benporter likes this.
  14. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    This thread delivers. I call dibs if he ever sells his car LOL

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What I want to know is... how are you lifting the car :)?

16. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    +1 :)

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I want that bracket!

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Available on EBay

freshmeat likes this.
  19. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Since I left my 2-post lift behind in Austin, I use two low profile floor jacks, and jack stands, in a multi-step process. There are four jack points under the car, plus a fifth on the transaxle if you remove the diffuser.

20. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Here's the stock rear license plate bracket. It's made of two sheets of stamped aluminum, folded and spot-welded. It's over-engineered, over-built, and excessively heavy, to have such a fatal design flaw like four holes drilled for sheet metal screws.

21. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    freshmeat and mwstewart like this.
  22. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Ferrari builds lighter street cars by substituting aluminum for steel on a very large scale. On their F1 cars, they also substitute Titanium for steel where the strength of steel is needed, but the weight of aluminum is desired. So like on an F1 car, I've started replacing steel fasteners with Titanium fasteners. This set of fasteners replaces the stock fasteners on the rocker panels, the undertrays, and the E-brake calipers. The kit weighed in at 0.430 kg/0.95 lb.

freshmeat and Penzinger like this.
  23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    RBM, out of interest how do you select the parts to be improved? I'm using a cost per kg analysis and working from the top down. It has been interesting to see that - on the weight saving side, at least - Ferrari's efforts were mostly superficial, which makes sense from a business perspective as it increases the visible differential between these and the F430.

There are quite a few parts under the skin that could be improved, for example the heavy steel F1 pump bracket. I like what you've done with the chassis reinforcement plate and at the time you first posted I added it to my list.

24. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Correction: visible, not superficial.

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    More Titanium (Ti) fasteners to replace the stock steel fasteners on the rear undertray and the rear diffuser. The kit weighs 0.205 kg/0.45 lb.