Trunk floor- lower section and rear inner wings - Help | FerrariChat

Trunk floor- lower section and rear inner wings - Help

Discussion in '206/246' started by sturrisi, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Those pieces are all riveted and fiber-glassed in place well before the car is painted and assembled. The only way to remove them is to start cutting away at all the joins and then re-installing them with fiberglass. It is a very big and involved job only to be done if absolutely necessary.

2. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Thanks Rob for your reply. I agree with you but I am doing a major restoration on the car, the engine is out and I am now trying to remove to remove the trunk flooring and inner rear wings, all the fibreglass joining strips have been removed and all the rivets that I can see or find have been drilled out but I can't get it budge at all. I thought that maybe someone out there is "dinoland" who has done it before can give me some hints as to the best way to do it without causing major damage.
    regards Sam

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Even with all the rivets removed and fiberglass joining strips cut away these panels will be stuck on and require constant prying and forcing to come out. It is not pleasant but slow and steady you'll get them out.

4. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Once the rear inner panels are out, it provides the gap room to allow you to remove the lower trunk floor panel. It does take some manipulation and flexing to remove it. Fortunately, you do not need to perform any cutting on the lower trunk floor panel. I remember using a small putty knife to seperate the lower trunk floor panel from the rear inner panels. The rear inner panels also have some rivets attached toward the front that hold them in place.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Thanks guys, The rear inner wing seems to be tightly held by the wheel ach return lip. Does it need to be pried open or can it be tapped out with a rubber mallet to lift it out of the lip?
    Sam

6. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    I just remember it having dirt and grime built up. I don't remember having difficulty removing them. Did you remove the rivets that are in the front portion, I think there are three or four.

7. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    I definitely did not pry on the wheel arch lip. But I might have used a tiny thin toy putty knife to clean the debris.

8. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    thanks, I think I removed all the rivets but I'll try again and see if there are any that I may have missed but the whole thing seems to be held tightly in place.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    My car is a November ‘71 RHD. I’m still at trying to get those inner wings out. Found few more hidden rivets and I can now get it to flex a little- only slight progress.
    Sam

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Did you have any success separating the lower trunk pan from the two inner rear panels, does it move freely.

12. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
  13. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Great, I am glad that you were able to remove the inner wings. I think the way it comes out is to rotate the lower trunk panel to one of the sides where you removed the inner wings. You might need to pull a little on the upper(vertical) area of the trunk panel to gain better clearance, but I can't recall if it's the opposite side or not. I seem to recall that it needs to be flexed to remove. The reason that the lower trunk panel has those angle cuts might have been to allow installation.

14. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    After the excitement of getting the two inner wings out. removing the trunk lower section has been a complete failure so far. After bending, twisting flexing it in all direction and even making small cuts int corners where it changes shape, to be able to flex a bit more, still no luck at getting it out. It seem to me that the only option ( although I don't want to) is to cut it. Can someone advice me on this?
    Sam

15. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Sam, I just took my lower floor pan and reinstalled it. It took me several hours trying to remember how the process worked. I was able to install the bottom floor pan and then remove it. You do not need to cut the bottom floor pan to remove it. It was a good exercise for me because later I will need to reinstall it. I have taken many pictures now so that I can repeat the process later. It goes through the wheel well opening and you roll the top vertical
    end towards the bottom horizontal end of the floor pan in a rolled fashion. This allows you to eventually move it out of the wheel well opening, and create space to remove the opposite end of the lower floor panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Well I've been busy with other things but today I again tried to remove the trunk floor lower section from my Dino.

Russell, I must say you are a genius. With your help, I was able to do what has been impossible. Your pictures helped a lot but mine seems to be a lot more rigid I had difficulty trying to get it to flex enough to get it out. I tired some rope around it as tight as I could and with some pushing and shoving, I was able to get it out of the car. That was enough for major celebrations and now I can get in and start the metal reconditioning. Thanks very much. Some pictures now to show that I actually did get there in the end. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Sam, Great handiwork!

Now, if you are lucky enough not to have found corrosion on the chassis, or anywhere else
    as you have opened Pandora's box, give it a nice clean up to all the surfaces, epoxy prime,
    repaint and reinstall. Ought to take just a few days of real easy work...;)

Regards, Alberto

18. sturrisi

sturrisi Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam T
    Hi Alberto,
    Rust! What is that? No rust on this car (so far), only good 50 year old Italian steel.

I've had the car since 1984 and for the last 20 years has just been sitting in my garage but recently I've decided to bring it back to life .
    Alberto, I think the panels, frames and chassis saw very little paint from the date of manufacture (Ferrari must have run out of paint on that day). Although no significant structural rust, there is a fair amount of surface rust. I thought that maybe a good clean and some rust convertor and then prime and paint or do you think I should try to get it back to shiny metal and then go through the process.
    regards, Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DinoParts, Stefan likes this.
  19. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Sam, It is great that you were able to remove the lower trunk panel.

20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Your car looks remarkable rust free just from looking at the pictures and the surfaces of the panels. There will most likely be rust somewhere in the joints and possible inside the panels. You are absolutely right, Ferrari didn't waste paint on the inside of the panels. My old Dino was also left i raw metal that had become red of rust over time exactly as yours. You are really standing at a cross point here! If you want to protect the car for driving i a wet and moist environment I recommend to go all the way including complete dismantling, blasting and surface treatment. If you use the car on dry days and store it dry then you could in principle hand paint the inside of the panels with various rust inhibitors and automotive paint if it makes you more comfortable or you enjoy the handy work...But that said, if the car has survived so for far it will most like keep ticking many years ahead without any further paint on the backside if you don't expose it to water. What I'm saying is that your car is so valuable now that it's an either or situation; either you go all the way, or you save your money and effort till the day you want to go all the way. You have opened Pandora's box...-:)

Best regards

Peter