Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 126 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He wouldn't be on top of my list, that's for sure.
    Lance is the kind of drivers who don't get hired; they buy their seat.
    The same could be said about many drivers that tried F1 over the years, and some we don't know.
    Some people don't like that, but I don't mind at all.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Some pay drivers have superb talent. I understand it is a mechanism to gain a seat.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Niki Lauda, Nigel Mansell, Michael Schumacher

william likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sometimes it's a sponsor that buys the seat for the driver its wants in F1.
    Happened a lot in the 80s and 90s with oil companies, Brazilian banks, etc ...

DF1 likes this.
  5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Now that he finally has a car that is able to compete let’s give him a chance and put the politics and jealousy behind. This year the mid field is so tight, it’s at least a fair fight for the best of the rest. It’s tough for a young driver to drive an unpredictable, uncompetitive car and gain confidence. Remember last is 21 still one of the youngest drivers in F1. This is really his first real test.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

william likes this.
  6. DF1

He has been in F1 since 2017. Thats not a rookie in pink now. He has been tested and overall = unremarkable. Rich family or not. To me for what reputation he has, this is a 'make or break' year. No major improvement or results will only confirm what has been the case for 3+ years

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

IMO, he won't be worse than Ericsson.

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    How is doing against Perez?

Bas likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I find it amazing how some compare sponsorship to getting bought in by bank of dad.

Of course there are some drivers that just weren't very good but their sponsorship bought them in some ****hole. But it tends to be that sponsored drivers....are pretty good. These days especially, you'll be hard pressed to get to F1 without sponsorship. If you got into F1 today without sponsorship, the only way today is bank of dad.

Verstappen, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso...all drivers that enjoyed a big backer pre-F1. I think Kimi is the only active driver that didn't have big backing from any one individual. but small local companies, friends and family helped him fund his racing, and he only really did minor series (british Formula renault). He briefly lived in the netherlands at the time in a small rented room with him and his mechanic, both driving to races in a clapped out Lada or renault Clio, something like that. Funnily enough you don't hear him drone on about being poor, unlike a certain driver who keeps claiming he grew up dirt poor and lived in a ghetto...whilst getting dropped off by a different Mercedes every day...

11. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To be fair, we don't really hear Kimi go on about anything, really.

pilotoCS and Bas like this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #3137 Flavio_C, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    I couldn't say it better!

That being said, justice to be made, Lance is just enjoying his "golden crib". I already detailed here on this forum about my experiences with the Strolls and the Verstappens during karting. I would say Lance is a trully good guy. The problem is really his father, an obnoxious character.

Bas likes this.
  13. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Lance showed pretty good form today. Fourth fastest, ahead of Hamilton, Saint and both Ferrari’s, just 3 tenth behind team mate Perez.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    He was 3/10s behind Checo last week too.

Bas likes this.
  15. DF1

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :) Superb!

Bas likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh I don't blame Lance at all. He grew up in an enormous bubble, hard to stay truly grounded...When you grow up in an enormous house and a garage filled to the brim with the most exclusive cars on the planet, superyachts, dad racing different Ferrari's and hanging out with Ferrari head honchos, you don't know what ''normal'' is. So looking how he behaves, he's pretty well grounded. Even his parents you can't blame for it really, whether they grew up rich or poor themselves, teaching kids what is a normal lifestyle whilst indulging yourself has got to be the hardest job out there. Most rich people hang out with other rich people, their kids hang out...their perception of what is normal changes massively.

I do poke fun at Lance where it's deserved. hitting the wall in Monaco, flat tyre and whatnot only for him to come on the radio half a lap later saying if something is wrong with the car for example...
    on the shortest track, too...on a typical track the deficit will increase to +- 5 tenths!

stavura, Flavio_C, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  17. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Whatever.... look at who were the drivers behind Lance today. Shut out all the noise and credit where credit is due, if it was Lando or Russell you’d be crowing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Terra and william like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    eh? what part are you upset about. Need a tissue?

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I think 0,5 second is th
    Oh come dude, they are using a carbon copy of Mercedes and still Stroll is clearly inferior to Perez!

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Stroll beats Perez by 2 seconds in qualifying.

Terra and william like this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Stroll did good in Q1 in full wets. Nice.

william and tifosi12 like this.
  22. DF1

Ok for wet sessions im a fan. Ive just emailed Binotto about a future contract. Charles who?? LOL :)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  23. DF1

No we would say they are expected to be where they are. When Stroll does a good job its an exception not the norm. That may change with the new car but he does not have a history of amazing races and moves. He is weak on the brakes and lacks aggression in a controlled sense to make 'moves'. Like others he is a marginal talent with a large rich family ensuring he is in the sport.
    On talent alone would you hire him? I would not. He is one of the richest pay driver in history. No money or family he probably never enters the grid on talent. That is how I see him. Add Latifi as well. Not really showing much talent. They should start a team lol.

Bas likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Billionaire Boys Club.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas