Let me be truly honest..... | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Let me be truly honest.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlfistaPortoghese and dedazo like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    tell me about it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    This. I love my Pista but I picked up a manual Gallardo Superleggera and it is just so much fun to drive. I love the effort of the metal gates. I love the challenge of heel toe downshifting with a stupidly lightlweight flywheel. I love the theater that the roof of the car is some 3 inches LOWER than the Pista and I can't seem to get in it without bumping my head. The windshield is 3 armlengths away from me. The 10 cylinder NA engine has 3 distinct resonance tones that are tuned to perfection and reach a screaming 8,750 RPM. I know, it's not quite 9,000 but damn it sounds good (like a pipe organ!). The brakes at first feel like the have no power boost but if you stomp on them, they stop you like velcro sticks to a sweater. Everything about the car just requires a bit more effort but you feel EVERYTHING going on around you. It is 100% visceral. It actually reminds me of a much heavier Lotus Exige so I appreciate the manual Evora reference. It is really not a replacement for the Pista but everytime I get in and drive the Gallardo, it is a masterclass in feel and driver connection.

Interestingly, it compares quite favorably to a manual GT3. The GT3 has a bit less torque, lighter steering, and touchier brakes (PCCB) but I get the same vibe, and pertinent to the original thread topic, the sound is more traditional tenor Italian and less German metal shredding terror at redline.

As someone said earlier, we are in such a wonderful time for cars overall. Life would be boring if all ice cream were chocolate:p.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is why a manual GT3 is my next pickup when our new house is done.

Thecadster, x z8, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

get the acid green one!

Attached Files:

x z8 likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So right now we are planning our new house with my office/6 car garage/man cave. I have no more room at my current house so my wife gave in decided to build. So I have a bit of time. Im on the "list" for the new GT3. If when it comes out the dealers play games and are charging stupid ADMs, ill pick up a 19 manual. I would love the acid green but that might not fly by the spouse. So ill settle for Chalk or maybe Slate Gray. Will see what I can find.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #207 Coincid, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    The most challenging, thrilling and talent testing experience I have had in a car was tracking my Gallardo Balboni.
    Still prefer the F8.

johnr265 likes this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    ADM...I remember that BS. You know they will try... Chalk fits very well with GT3. I think they make the chalk color standard which is awesome.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Mine

Thecadster, italiafan, x z8 and 4 others like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Perfect. You will be ready to dispose of it in a couple of year and Ill gladly take it off your hands. :)

Gh21631 and IloveGT like this.
  11. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    So I’ve been driving my 2015 458 Spider for the past couple of weeks as a daily driver and just recently rolled over 10K miles. Love the car..........until today when I drove my 2015 Speciale Aperta home. I can’t explain it, but the Aperta is just that much better.

ryalex, plastique999 and IloveGT like this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    pics!!

13. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Artsy shot with bumper off to get to the air filter (kind of inconvenient;)) at the 2 year service. It was easier to change the spark plugs!!!

x z8 and Gh21631 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you are looking for manual fun, the GT3 is hard to beat. Infact there are very few modern day manual cars with power. GT3 obviously comes to mind. The only other ones I know of are Ford Mustang GT350(r) or the Camaro ZL1. Im sure there are others but thats all I can think of.

The Mustang is actually a fun car if you want to beat it up. Haven't driven the Camaro. Not sure I want to but its probably a fun little car as well.

Sometimes its nice to go out and thrash a 65k car instead of a 650k car.

15. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I had a Z28 Camaro for a while. 7 liters of V8 magnificence. I still put the gorgeous roar of that engine up there with the best of the best. That car on the track did things a 3,900 lb car shouldn't be able to do (but 315 square tire setup will tend to do that!!!). I miss that brute!

mdrums and carguyjohn350 like this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    How do you compare it to the mustang? If you have experience with it.

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Mine...Arena Red after getting CeramicPro done.
    I highly recommend a manual GT3, fabulous old school driving fun.
    In cabin engine sound is glorious, especially when letting the revs drop down through the range!

johnr265, michaelo, IloveGT and 3 others like this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Cant be many in this color. When I was younger my dream car was a 993 TT in Arena Red.

italiafan and IloveGT like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

20. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Different people value different things. These are road cars- for me- that means which car(s) puts the biggest smile on my face when driving. If speed/ performance were all that matters we would all end up with electric. I will not comprise pleasure for more speed. And if I ever do, I will add a Tesla Roadster.

I own a 458S, F12 and manual 991.2 GT3 (with epic Dundon exhaust).

I have front, mid and rear engine. I have 6, 8 and 12 cylinders. I have DSC and manual. I have a variety of experiences and all are visceral. The smiles are what it is about.

As an aside- A Pista interests me- and after reading some owner comments- it’s probably a mistake.

I have had many turbo cars- they are appliances- there’s loud noise and there’s music- not everyone can discern the difference.

Buy what you like- it’s your money. Never in history have there been so many great cars to own.

Solid State, Thecadster and italiafan like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    IMO as an owner the Pista is the best sportscar out there right now. I would take what some say with a grain og salt and experience for yourself. I also have a 765LT on order which may change my mind but until then I'll take a Pista over anything else.

Mighty Joe and SoCal to az like this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    765 is going to be scary good! Can’t wait to hear about your experience.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was on the fence but I think I would regret not spec'ing one. I am hoping I can go to the factory for delivery which may possibly be this year.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    good ol verde ithaca. A ferrari will never look as good in verde ithaca as on a Lambo.

johnr265, plastique999 and Coincid like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    that’s awesome. Very happy for you. I decided the upgrade wasn’t worth it for me. I love my 720 and rather than drop 200k On a replacement I’ll just add another car. But trust me, there is some regret in me. Enjoy it!

IloveGT and Gh21631 like this.