Time to Play... What's that Do? | FerrariChat

Time to Play... What's that Do?

Discussion in '308/328' started by thorn, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This little red bunny-eared ...plug... thing, attached a bracket next to the WUR. What is it, and what does purpose does it serve?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It looks like a plastic plug used for something. Those ears look like they are for unscrewing/screwing it. Looks like where it is is just a storage position. I have no idea where you would use it. What's around there that could be disconnected and need to be plugged? Only appears on the euro QV so obviously completely unnecessary.

Like this:

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've felt on the underside of the brass-colored nut that it's on top of (basically, it looks sort of like a sensor). But no wires underneath the bracket going to it.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I believe it's a thermo-pneumatic valve. One is used on 1980-82 US 308i-2V and 1983 US 308QV as part of the EGR system (no wires -- it's a temperature-based "vacuum switch" so only has hoses), but it's mounted into the coolant expansion tank on the US cars (although where yours is mounted would give similar thermal functionality) -- item 13 (115150) here:

Since you have a euro version living in the US, I'd guess that it was added as part of the US federalization process -- do you know if your car ever claimed to have a US-equivalent EGR system installed?

Saabguy and thorn like this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, paint me red and call me Enzo... that's exactly it. I searched all over the engine diagrams on Ricambi, but never thought to look at the cooling system diagrams. Those 2 nipples always struck me as - well, hose nipples - but I could never theorize an intended purpose.

I do not, no. Although I seem to not have most (any?) of those other parts that are featured above, nor unattached hoses on the throttle, etc. Unsure if they were never there, or removed completely when the stock exhaust was replaced by the PO.

As always, Steve - you're a wizard. :cool:

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #6 johnk..., Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Ah, you guys spoiled all the fun.

The bracket and other mounting parts are shown as standard parts on a euro QV. Why?

The valve is not listed though.

And it's not on my 85 US QV, engine or coolant tank. So only early US injected cars?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think so (no EGR system on a euro 308QV). Can you post a link to the euro 308QV SPC page that you are referencing?

Yes, no EGR system on 1984-85 US 308QV so this valve is not present on the coolant expansion tank. 1982-1986 Euro 308QV are all the same so, to get technical, a euro 308QV imported to the US in 1983 would have an EGR system added; whereas, if imported in 1984 or 85, it would not (but would have a quasi-Lambda system added). Since the OP indicates his is a "1985" either the Importer cheated and just used the 1983 US modifications, or the model year got a little mucked up, or something a little odd happened in the process.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Looking at it again I think it's the mounting bracket for the WUR. Just look somewhat similar to what was on Thorn's car.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
  10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that bracket for the WUR not only mounts the WUR, it also conducts heat from the coolant into the WUR -- since the coolant expansion tank didn't have another fitting available, they used it as a convenient place to mount that valve to sense the coolant temperature.