Maserati Khamsin | Page 335 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    If possible please upload a photo of your dash!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8352 Nembo1777, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    See post 8343, those are shots of Rolf's actual dash, of course the steering wheel is a bit in the way.

Here is a third one I had of Rolf's dashboard in my Dropbox online folder:

His car won the best preservation award at KHAMSIN QUARANTA by the way as judged by Signori Cozza e Collina of Maserati Classiche.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

do you have an idea which car this Khamsin could be?
    found the picture in a lambo website from holland, where this 400GT #484 apparently went to from the US

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,

I have two candidates but do we know where (it could be in the California mountains looking at the truck plates) and when? The photo is very difficult to date that could be the 1990's or 3 months ago.

This car immediately reminded me of this one I photographed at Concorso Italiano....20 years ago in 2000. It looked very freshly redone. But I don't know the chassis number. Obviously the one in the photo you posted is either a US car fully converted (rare back then) or a Euro car: a handful did get privately imported in the US.

I don't think it is 1298 which I almost bought in Fort lauderdale in 1998 totally apart like a Lego kit, then rebuilt by Gary Bobileff fully Euro converted for a friend of mine in Vienna Austria as it is lighter red.

An alternative is 214 LHD Euro car sold new in London which ended up in the Cayman Islands car museum owned by Norwegian boat shippers.

Is there a way to contact these Dutch people?

Which K do you think it is?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Another possiblity is this one:

K 368

Owned by Jacques Pozzo di Borgo in the 1990’s ?

According to WBauemer:

AM120.368

1987 with Col. Leonard C. Ekman -Tyndall.FL./USA

1995 with Dick Schader -Macdoel.CA/USA

Could be the Jean Yves Deillon Pozzo car or is it another of Pozzo’s?

I met this Frenchman in the early 2000's in South Florida, Jean Yves Deillon based in Miami, who said he briefly owned this car that had been vandalized. Apart of the added protruding and non US type rear indicators it looks matching. I think he may have sold it to Pozzo di Borgo. I think you Roger or AMLC mentioned that it was restored in Holland or Germany?

6. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I knew Dick Schader pretty well, he was a regular at the Monterey MCI club show with the Maserati AND Lamborghini crowd. Ferrari was invited a bit later. Is he even still around? He's almost certainly be in his 80's I think?
    I think he was a wheat farmer in N. California. For a while he used to drive his LM002 down for the show. Can you imagine that gasoline bill!
    I also remember when Jacques used to have that Khamsin. I almost pulled the trigger on that one. So Schader owned that one or one like it at some point?
    He owned a Bora for a while as well. The of us plus our wives, his son in his case, went through 5 bottles of veuve clicquot (Thanks Francis) that night when a couple of us took the top awards in the super concours awards that year 91 or 92.
    That was at Quail Lodge when it was still a club event.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Didn't know the name Schader other than that reference, thanks for the info Bob, if he was both into Lambos and Masers the cars loaded on that trailer which seems to be in NoCal would appear to be a match with Roger's photo.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks cf post 8321 page 333, also discussed back in Februayr 2015 when sold by Bonhams during Retromobile.

10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well I don't know that is the look of a house he would have owned. He was a big time farmer, thousands of acres of wheat. Maybe a vacation home I suppose. Can't really say ... Mandarano might know.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

I found the link to those pictures, and there is a second photo with the front of the car albeit small.
    And I actually believe those pictures at concorso italiano were of K 368, the same car.

The person to contact about those pictures is [email protected]

The link: https://www.ferrari-register.nl/lamborghini/home/v12-classici/350-400/350-gt-400-gt-internazionale/0484

and the link where it appears in Germany, if I am not wrong:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2082NXoCQj/

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Roger. Excellent that we were all together able to identify it with the old files I got from Walter in a deal 12 years ago, the photo you found and posted, the comments of Bob, those photos I had taken in 2000 and the chance meeting with Deillon around 2002-2005.

And yes that is it in the Instagram link all the way from Cali to Leipzig in the east of Germany...these cars travel like Russian courtesans:)
    Great to see that the vandalism is now a long ago hiccup totally erased.

I need to speak with Frank and Pozzo di Borgo to gather their Khamsin # info from years ago, Frank kindly offered me his help a few weeks ago.

13. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    A great photo, it looks like a part of Switzerland in the USA!
    This photo is probably from after the year 2000 because the car is burgundy, and at the Concorso in 2000 it was "normal" red?
    It appears to have no Bertone badges and no front fender indicator lights.

By the way if you look at the photos of the vandalized car, does it have a smooth nose? .

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8365 Nembo1777, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Hi AMLC,

America has endless types of landscapes, you can replicate every part of Europe, amazing.

At 2000 Concorso Italians it was very much Burgundy in color. My photos are maybe over exposed.

Correct on nose but nose panels get changed.

The key is only a handful, less than five Euro K were ever privately imported into the US. Secondly very few US K had had Euro bumper conversions back then. None of them bothered deleting US sidelights yet. Chances of two so similar in that exact dark red (both with zero sidelights with the Deillon vandalized car photos showing added incorrect front sidelights) are almost nil. I will speak to that Dutchman and Pozzo.

15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes that is amazing, I also liked the landscape in the photos of 71satisfaction, with the light blue Khamsin, like the one in the attachment below.

Interesting that the car at the Concorso is burgundy, I really thought it looked like "normal" red, probably because of the sunlight and/or indeed overexposure.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes realize that when you drive from NYC to Los Angeles it is the same distance as Lisbon Moscow. Texas four times the size of France for example. More importantly apart of the midwest plains the terrain varies massively.

The northeast where that light blue Khamsin photo was taken has fabulous forests and great roads, I did a Ferrari North America road rally in 550 Maranello and 360 Modena 20 years ago and it was fabulous: the Adirondack mountains. Just one example.

At events I move very fast when taking photos and back when cameras were not full automatic I did not fuss: I just took photos on the go hence exposure often off. Only for article photoshoots did I take a tripod and fuss comprehensively.

17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The early US car for sale in Austria also has three rectangular warning lights, but all three with descriptions, and no "Park brake", see photo below.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8371 Nembo1777, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Yes that car had for a long time been in rather shabby condition, it went through Motorcar Gallery in south Florida long ago and I later saw it at a concours in Lexington Kentucky August 2004, the very nice owner mentioned he had only ever seen another, a gold one at a vintage event at Elkhart lake Wisconsin and I said that is now my car:)

It had deferred maintenance...Since it was exported US to Austrian it has had two owners. Don't know what work may have been carried out since.

The scan of 4 photos together is at MCG in the 1990's or even earlier.

The other photos are by Greg who owned it in 2004.

It was sold from the US to Austria in March 2011 to one collector who then sold it to the dealer who has had it for at least seven years not really advertising it most of the time.

Obviously the paint treatment is not factory original.

Ah I just found something odd; the mileage in a 1998 Arlington Virginia USA auction was noted as:

1975 Maserati Khamsin
    Car Information
    Year: 1975
    Marque: Maserati
    Model: Khamsin
    Chassis #: AM120US1028
    Engine Number: N/A
    Engine Cylinders: 8 CYL
    Induction:
    Shifter Location:
    HP: 320
    Left Hand/Right Hand Drive: RHD
    Body Type: Coupe
    Exterior Color: "Red, Black rockers"
    Interior Color: Black leather
    Odometer Shows: 68,048

68048 miles is about 105000kms so not driven hardly at all in 22 years? That can't be good. I just emailed the dealer to ask if he meant 105000 miles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8372 Nembo1777, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Yes 1054 which was at Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale (they have owned over 20 Khamsins) after having been owned by a mutliple movie theater owner in California and Wisconsin (and then briefly an owner in west Florida) was sold in 2003 to a very nice guy who lived half way down the Florida Keys to Key West, so he had one road only...Hardly the ideal place for it. He drove it once and it scared him so he parked it and after a couple of years drove it back up to resell it to MCG. that day we drove in convoy, me in my K and him and he said oh you drive it like a racecar...well yes...it's not a Lincoln...he was totally the wrong person for it.

It was then sold to ex Le Mans Swiss racer Rene Herzog (who raced 512M's in 1971 and was one of the drivers hired for the production of the movie Le Mans in 70), a friend of mine who has a winter place in Fort Lauderdale. He saw I had done the Euro bumper conversion on my car so asked me to do his which I did (then a dealer saw me doing that and asked me to convert 1140 which I did as well).

Rene also had the ashtray removed on 1054 which makes the interior easily recognizable. I used the car around 1999 for an article with one of the handful of 3200GT's privately imported in the US.

Here the scan of 4 photos is from the 1990's, the shot from above is 2004 at MCG. After I did the bumper conversion Rene had it shipped to Switzerland, the final 2 shots are at dealer's Koni Lutziger near Zurich when I visited in April 2010.

It was then sold to a local Swiss German who thought about coming to KHAMSIN QUARANTA but...realized he was a beer person and Burgundy and vineyard visits was not for him so he stayed home.

The article you refer to is by Bruno von Rotz a very respected Swiss journalist, I like the fact that he calls the K the prettiest car of the Keil (wedge) design era. and that it does everything the Ghibli does better which is simply factual.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A couple of shots I took when I borrowed 1054 back in 99 or 2000 for that article (for a US Maser club magazine) that is back when they were completely forgotten and totally unappreciated: the owner of the 3200Gt when he first looked at it said it that a V6? I said no a 5 liter V8 with lots more torque than the 3200 and he was quite surprised:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

khamsin433 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Speaking of old photos as I look through the many boxes of my things which arrived last month I found this.

This is back in the early 80's in Paris, actually most likely 1981 so 39 years ago(!) when in my teens I traveled by moped and had my trusty instamatic to shoot whatever nice cars I might encounter.

I saw this red K with gold wheels in the bois de Boulogne the big park and took some shots but obviously got to the end of the film roll. Anxious to keep photographing I kept aggressively turning the film wind knob and obviously broke the teeth indentations in the film...so I shot three photos over the same: accidental or to use a nice word serendipitous artwork-)!

rga and boralogist like this.
  23. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

have you ever been able to identify this car afterwards? (643 PBS 75)
    with its vented nose I suppose it cannot be 106 or 156?

Regards, Roger