Dry Supm Vs. QV Vs. 328 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dry Supm Vs. QV Vs. 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by J-P, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    One thing I thought I would mention, and the others who have owned both (especially at the same time) may want to weigh in here, is that there is a driving experience difference between the 308 and the 328.
    The 308 definitely has a harder edge to it in the way it feels and handles. It has a sharper, lighter, more responsive feel to it......a more "sporty" feedback than the 328.
    The 328 on the other hand has a more refined or tamed experience to it. It just feels a bit heavier and duller, less connected to the road.... kind of a "sports-luxury" feedback to it. Still great but just a softer approach than the 308. And perhaps some of this is attributable to more insulation kind of shutting out some of the experience of driving.
    Don't get me wrong, I love both and may not have chosen my words just right in describing them.
    This is especially noticeable if the 2 cars are driven back-to-back.

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

While you are in the market and understanding this car isn’t among your list, a Boxer meets all of your criteria. You mentioned:

“ I like the experience of driving older cars without too much technology and gadgetry, other than wanting air conditioning. I really appreciate the rawness, smells,sounds, etc. I am attracted by things like the toggleswitches and aluminum instrument fascia of the 308s”

This also describes a Boxer that has the added benefit of a significant increase in hp and torque. I have both and can tell you the driving feel of both are very similar. Raw would be the best word to describe these cars. If that is what you like and you are looking for more performance, you should do yourself a favour and look at one before you decide.

One of the most common modifications of a 308 is finding ways to teak more hp and torque out of the engine. This is why you see so many threads describing ways of increasing the performance of our cars. Every time I asked Paul Newman to increase the performance of my 308, he said that I needed a Boxer.

I am Glad that I listened!

3. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    His criteria included $100K or preferably less purchase price.

Shark01 likes this.
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Anticipated that someone would make that response. How much money is being spent on these engine rebuilds and other modifications in an effort to increase performance. By the time that you are finished, you are in Boxer territory. I am speaking from personal experience because I was one of them.

5. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I like your way of thinking.
    I don't think the OP was ever talking about doing a big bore conversion or the like however, since he was talking about pursuing a 930 Turbo, I agree with you in that he may be disappointed in the power department.
    I love a Boxer as much as the next guy:D

6. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Boxers are one of my very favorite Ferraris. But, there is no way I can justify spending that much on a toy. I missed out on my $80k Boxer a few years ago, so that ship has sailed.

7. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I cannot agree less! I owned both 1978 carb 308 and now a 1988 328. Both are not fast cars to today standards but the 328 is much faster than the 308 and both are very responsive (no turbos). Weight of the 328 is somewhat less as well. I dont understand to read often that 308 owners speak so negative about the 328 what simply is the last and optimum 308. Same for prices, I still see in Europe better sold prices for 328 than for QV and carb cars (of course vetro resina excepted)......

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not quite.

Buy a well driven QV for 55K or so, send it to Carobu or Nick and you still will be 50K under a nice Boxer.

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Okay, splitting hairs a little and making my point more relevant. A Boxer isn't that far off, you get the driving experience of a 308 with a higher level of performance. Beating a dead horse as J-P has already passed on the idea.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#35 dwhite, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    I have a 308qv and a BB 512i. They are NOT apples and apples with more HP.

Regarding the OP original question, get what excites you, don't ever care about future worth and enjoy whichever car you decide on while you own it, because we are not coming back.

Albert-LP and lm2504me like this.
  11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have a 308 GTB and a 512 BBI, never said apples to apples, said similar driving experience which they are.

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Was not responding to your post. Just giving my impression.

However, I'm not sure what is similar. The 308 has a much lighter feel and has very little torque. The Boxer requires me to be fully engaged, which I like, has much more power and a heavier feel. Blindfolded, I can tell you in one second which car I'm in.

Nope, can't say similar at all after driving 12K miles in my Boxer and 30K in my 308.

ProvaMo likes this.
  13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The original post indicated:

I like the experience of driving older cars without too much technology and gadgetry, other than wanting air conditioning. I really appreciate the rawness, smells,sounds, etc. I am attracted by things like the toggleswitches and aluminum instrument fascia of the308s”

The point is that these requirements describes both cars. In addition, both have mid mount engines, both built during the same period of time, both designed by LeonardoFioravanti, both 44 inches tall, both run the same tires, no power steering, , independent suspension, Koni dampers, The list of similarities goes on and on.

I agree that you can tell the difference blind folded, what you are describing though is that the most significant difference between the two cars is power and torque which is the exact point that I made.