812 Superfast and octane problems | FerrariChat

812 Superfast and octane problems

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EmmKaayy, Jul 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    In the owner's manual Ferrari recommends using "at least 98 R.O.N." gasoline.
    Unfortunately around here we have mainly 92, and in some places 95.

I've been doing online research on octane boosters. Trying to find the right product to bring up the ron to 98 and meet Ferrari's standards.The consensus online seems to be that most offerings in that category do not work, or only slightly work.But a few products have been tested and shown real, measurable increase in octane numbers. From my limited research, the top 2 products that show a significant, measurable difference in octane are"Torco Accelerator" and "Boostane Professional". But all the info I found was not specific to any one type of car. And no supercars or Ferraris mentioned anywhere in my search results

Anyone here in a similar situation and with a new Ferrari?
    or maybe someone super knowledgeable on Ferrari engines??

Of course I do understand that slightly low octane gasoline will still move the car without major issues.
    But I think it would be so very wrong to have a brand new engine such as this one, and not treat it right.

I'd appreciate you guys' input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you are in the US, the octane rating on the fuel pumps is AKI (not RON). 98 RON is equivalent to about 93 AKI (and, unless under very high load at very high air temperature, I doubt that you'd have any serious trouble using 92 AKI fuel).

epb0, Qavion and EmmKaayy like this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    yes steve is right. And in every car that needs 93 the ecu can adjust to 87. At street speeds no one can tell the difference and you might not even see a difference in laptime on a racetrack unless you are skilled enough to run very consistent laptimes.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  4. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    I am in North Africa not North America. Over here we do use the ron system. So the 95 here is your 91. (I think)
    Even the 95 ron which is the highest available to me, is at times mixed with lower octane gas.
    So in any case I will still fall short of the Recommended octane numbers.

This is why If I am to take care of this engine properly, I am thinking I will need octane boosters. If not I'd have to regularly import gallons of higher octane gas. With the second option not being remotely a real option for me.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The ecu will just back timing off and clip some horsepower. You are not going to miss it. If super paranoid you can use a obd2 dongle to your phone and use an ap like torque with knocksensor plugin. Use the local gas and data log any knocking. I bet you will be just fine

EmmKaayy likes this.
  6. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    I absolutely do not mind if performance takes a small hit as you say. What makes me want to follow the manufacturer's directions, is to cover all bases in keeping the car healthy. You don't think the lower than recommended octane gas will physically affect the parts in the long term?

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not if your combustion is proper. Modern ecus function under a wide range of gas and optimally as specified. Oems also know where cars are imported and make changes accordingly. That's why in the parts manuals you will often see part numbers for say usa different from europe. There are all kinds of laws over the years like California cars and 49 state cars, and side marker lights different for usa and europe.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  8. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    Yes, of course I agree. Dealerships in different areas do spec cars with some differences.
    My car is an import though. It was sold in Germany. Over there I believe the 98 ron Ferrari is asking for is readily available.

I intend to do much more research. And also err on the side of caution by not putting additives into the gas tank right at the start.
    But let's say that later on I do come to the conclusion that the car needs higher octane to run as it should.

Is there like a tried and true, undisputed best brand of octane booster?

9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Octane is but one aspect of gasoline. I can buy 50gal drums of fuel for my racecar in whatever flavor I want.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Slightly lower octane fuel will not hurt your 812. The Motronic ECUs will just back off the timing a bit to prevent preignition. You will never notice it and no parts will be harmed. Odds of coming up against anything faster even then are pretty much zero.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  11. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    Thanks guys. What you're saying means I don't need to worry about this anymore.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative.

EmmKaayy likes this.