The Official Ferrari 812 GTS pictures thread | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The Official Ferrari 812 GTS pictures thread

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Wheels1, Dec 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    #301 ab08, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    I may be wrong, but I think that in the GTS the air intake at the upper rear fenders now flows into the rear wheel arch instead of the nonexistent side window duct. Flowing to the rear wheel arch, reduces aerodynamic drag and pressure in the wheel arch. And the rear diffuser has a new wing, more aerodynamic than the Superfast.

2. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    There`s a pixelated car in the background of this picture... FUV?

350MH83 likes this.
  3. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I doubt this has anything to do with laziness of the design team. They were working with the brief that was given to them. If Ferrari had decided to spend money on creating a more unique hardtop for the GTS the vent could have been incorporated but as @Scraggy has pointed before this was a parts bin exercise focused on maximising margins.

Bundy and Garretto like this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA

sounds good. start at 6 min.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Which was my point. It could have been a great and enduring design. The non-functional rear vents make it all a kinda silly exercise.

6. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    As I said in post # 301, it seems that the air intake at the upper rear fenders gained a new function in the GTS, flowing to the rear wheel arch, reducing drag and pressure in the arch.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Those are upper air exhausts unless you are driving backwards in which case the air still goes nowhere. As indicated earlier, wheel arch air pressure exits out the back so upper vent not involved.

8. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I'm sorry I don't understand your comment. Driving backwards? Here is the official print from Ferrari:

https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-812-gts-v12-spider-returns

"...Drag, on the other hand, was cut by using the air vents on top of the rear flank to efficiently channel excess pressure build-up out of the wheel well..."

350MH83 and ab08 like this.
  9. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    I meant that the drag and pressure that originates in the rear wheel arch flows towards the air outlet and goes out through it, and not the other way around.

From the GTS press release:
    (...) "Thanks to meticulous resculpting of the tonneau cover surfaces and, most importantly, the integration of a triplane wing into rear diffuser to create efficient suction (and thus downforce) from the underbody, the aerodynamicists were able to compensate for the downforce lost by the removal of the 812 Superfast’s rear wheelarch by-pass duct, the air intake of which was behind the quarterlight.
    Drag, on the other hand, was cut by using the air vents on top of the rear flank to efficiently channel excess pressure build-up out of the wheel well."

Avia11 likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes, marketing nonsense from last year. The rear vent on the Superfast is still there to vent the well pressure. They removed the intake to the aero vent and now it has no purpose as I have explained. Don't know what else to tell you.

11. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Very good to know, thanks!

Do you have more pics and more info about this specific car that wa sun NY in December 2019? (Serial number, engine bay...).

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Bundy and 456-boy like this.
  13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    • Absolutely, the GTS humps are Bactrian Camel-Like. Far too big.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It is pretty simple to explain, when the 812 was designed there was no intention of making a Spider, it was a sudden decision based on EU forced changes coming into play after 2021, I think Ferrari rushed a design because the future of the V12 in regular production is uncertain and if there was ever to be a regular production V12 Spider the time was 'now'. Done proper it would of looked more like the Portofino with the entire roof that moves out of the way. Unfortunately, the result is a rushed design and it is readily observable...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy and Solid State like this.
  15. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Rushed design it may be with having certain requirements such as the buttresses looking very far apart and not behind the occupants ala Monza.
    This I believe I s to better protect the occupants heads and necks better in a rollover as the 812S was not originally designed as a spider like the Portofino.
    Despite the perceived design flaws it still looks good from the side especially in darker colors and considering the 812S is not a beauty anyway I look forward to the open air front engined V12 Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Pretty sure this is the first UK delivered customer car, at least first I’ve seen. HR Owen’s first demonstrator is due in Sept apparently

Bring on the GTS to London’s streets for some late summer, post lockdown cruising!

of2worlds likes this.
  17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I agree the buttresses are fairly large and the design doesn’t really work from certain angles.. however, I think it looks good from directly side on (especially with the windows up) and directly behind the car. To me, the awkward angle is the rear three quarter view (ie. looking at it from the back but off center).

I also think the overall design is colour sensitive and doesn’t suit flat / solid colours but rather metallic ones.

Simple solution to any exterior design flaws; drive it and you don’t have to look at it ;)

JTSE30 likes this.
  18. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Have you seen it in the flesh ?

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Nope, but the last time I saw an ugly girl on a picture, she was still ugly in flesh :D

Dubaicity likes this.
  20. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    I believe Argento Nurburgring.

of2worlds and KenU like this.
  21. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    The car is stunning in person. For some reason the 812gts looks horrid in pictures. More so than any other Ferrari in recent memory.

22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    OK gents, I postpone my judgement to my first encounter with the car