Why is Ferrari not competitive in F1? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why is Ferrari not competitive in F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Husker, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, same car, one gets 2nd, the other only beats Latifi.

And the great news is that the good one is the cheapest!

2. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I think that 2nd place will be the best result this year barring a fluke result, there is no way the team will find a second per lap in development when the car loses so much on the straights

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    With their "engine agreement" with Ferrari, the FIA have shot themselves and the F1 world, at least from an interest by the fans point of view, in the foot . . . or some other appropriate place.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    That is my worry as well. I think, he's got the strength for another full season after this one... but if he is not world champion soon... they will wear him down like they did to Massa and Barichello... and Alesi, Berger, Alboreto etc... Sainz will last one season at best... I think they are angling for Hamilton ... which while I think could be good ... its going to be a disaster in the end.

william likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Or he can move in 2 years when the new rules are in and Sainz does not work out??

6. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Garford Hill
    For a few years now, Ferrari has not had the full involvement between management, engineering, and the entire racing team. They have had some of those parts doing their best and giving us real hope, but without the same winning determination all of them need at once. They need another Enzo with the passion Ferrari deserves. Still the road car division does well without worrying about F1, so where is the passion to win when you don't need that money.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

At least Ferrari are doing better than Williams. I remember when Williams were way ahead ! :D

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Politics....

They should have persuaded Ross to stick around, and hand him the reigns to run the Scuderia.

tazz99 likes this.
  9. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Depends on how you look at it. Williams seems to be progressing with RUS while SF is falling off a cliff. When’s the last time Ferrari struggled to make Q3?

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Binotto for sure will be out before the seasons end. The car and engine are an absolute joke.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's the trend at Maranello, and Binotto knows it well for having watched it for many years.
    Once you reach the job of team manager at the Scuderia, you are on borrowed time ...

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I'm looking at it from the perspective of the last 20 years !

If Williams start passing Ferrari from now on, then fair play to Williams.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Once ANYONE reaches the job of Team Manager (or similar in other businesses) they have to get the team to perform, or the SHOULD be history.

It is not just Ferrari but the way of the world. Winners get to continue, losers die off and are forgotten.

14. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Scuderia Ferrari needs a fresh approach with an outsider or 2 in leading positions; Mattia B. is a very smart engineer and he has been there since the good old days but something drastic needs to happen, no F1 championships since 2007, same age as my old trusty F430, is a DISGRACE!

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It takes a few years to get a team competitive, especially today. Probably 5 years in todays climate.

Ferrari expects it to be done in a single season. Ferrari keeps sacking people left right and centre. It's a culture of fear. They keep this up they will never win a title again.

They last tried to hire Newey in 2014. He said he was shocked at how much they offered him. Much more than twice what he received at Red Bull...and Renault had already let know they weren't interested in putting money in the engine, so the future for Red Bull looked bleak. He said he would basically get a superstar lifestyle from Ferrari. F1, road cars, anything else he fancied doing, they'd let him. He has even expressed regret that he never got to work with Ferrari yet (having to decline their services once before in 1996, and I believe in mid 2000s as well). And he still didn't go...he said that he felt business at red bull was unfinished but I'm sure the culture at Ferrari is something that scares him.

Jeronimo GTO and bmwracer like this.
  16. Tony Hill

Tony Hill Rookie

Apr 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Garford Hill
    I was actually pleased to see Williams do that, and you are exactly right . What is wrong with SF that they have become the gang that can't shoot straight? Firing someone who is key to winning because they didn't hand the title to Corporate only works if you have a superior player waiting in the wings. The commitment to winning takes a full company effort, and apparently they just don't have it. As forty year owner I have been hanging in there, but if SF keeps this losing up, I may have to look elsewhere. I have never even had that thought until these days. That is a sad thing to say for a kid who loved reading about Fangio after each race, and just couldn't wait to buy my first Ferrari.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The thread title should read " Why is Ferrari not competitive in F! Again"

I dont think most on here need Berger to tell them the obvious. Ross Brawn's book revealed something interesting about how he was very impressed at the set up and organisation in Ferrari when he went there and wondered why they hadnt won more titles but after a few months in was painful to see the dysfunction and politics. Barnard was credited in organsing the team but couldnt control the politics or interferring from management. Bringing it back to Italy certainly helped.

But unfortunately if we look back in history Ferrari is not a successful team, it has had highs and lows but generally has been an "almost there" champion for many years, more being the bridesmaid than the bride.

As a SF fan for 50+ years it pains me to say it but it will never be WCC within the next 5 years at least and thats if they start now, if it favours a fresher approach then they need a skilled team operator like Christian Horner to run the team. Even Red Bull have struggled since the Mercedes dominance years in which SF are on par if not slightly better, and they [RB] have Newey, so there is no silver bullet to fix Ferrari by hiring him.

The main problem SF have is living up to high expectations from the millions of fans worldwide

william likes this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Tesla has appealed to a section of the beard & sandals brigade. Fair enough.

Governments have been fed inaccurate info on ICE vs EV.
    A clean ICE will leave a smaller carbon footprint over its 80 year lifespan than an EV. It will also provide you with greater flexibility and more choice on long journeys.

Meanwhile F1, which is supposed to be a sport, has bent over for politicians who have been brainwashed by selective data.

Politicians and selective data - a dangerous cocktail. WMD and Iraq anyone ?

1monza and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    this. 100%

''oh but it's cleaner at point of use'' brigade can do one.

SimCity3 likes this.
  20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Oh and the damage of mining the rare metals, never mind ethics of how it is mined.

Sig. Roma and SimCity3 like this.
  21. garrobitto

garrobitto Karting

Jul 12, 2020
    Alameda
    Full Name:
    Garrobito Alado
    Ok then I have the solution: Put Elon Musk to reorganize Ferrari and in the meantime, put some "Italian style" at the horrible Tesla x and y...

635CSI likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Why is Ferrari not competitive - because Tesla are either 1) ground breaking 2) crap... (my choice is 2) btw ;) but I'm still not sure how it's related...)

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #124 paulchua, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    We're admittedly way off-topic, and I'm guilty of it. I will move the Tesla posts on this thread to an existing Tesla debate thread and keep other posts here to maintain forum topicality.

If still interested in talking about the merits/demerits of Tesla, your posts are moved here.

Carry on Gentlemen.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis