BMW wants to charge you a subscription for your heated seats | FerrariChat

BMW wants to charge you a subscription for your heated seats

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Westworld, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    F2003-GA and Bas like this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Bas and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    BMW has truly lost their way and making a garbage product along the way. Look at all the issues with the V8's.
    Sad

Bas, Isobel and davidoloan like this.
  4. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    v8s are lease only ...residual time bombs. Now the inline 6s are so damn good that Toyota uses it.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Boy how times have changed. I remember when they made real drivers cars.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty dumb idea, but I suppose if someone can hack the system to unlock a bunch of options it may be a better deal for customers haha.

Isobel likes this.
  7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It is funny to me that there is an option for upgraded exhaust sounds. I like real exhaust sounds.

Bas likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    BMW has been at the CES show for probably 10 years now. I've been to every one of their presentations over that time frame.

BMW thinks the car is just another houseful appliance or electronic gadget. They envision eventually everything in your house and phone will be connected to the car - computers, refrigerator, medicine cabinet, cameras, even your mirror.

So I'm not surprised they want to do this but I think it will fail miserably.

Bas and SCFerrari like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I've owned 3 BMWs and every year now, they do something to further ensure there won't be a 4th. Absolutely nothing special about them since they sold their souls to the Thousandaire crowd.....I'm sure they will happily sign up for this.

Bullfighter likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Is the misinterpretation of what BMW is doing intentional just to make a joke or has reading comprehension gone down the toilet?

Im no BMW fan (these days) but the concept here is to install the mechanical ability of all features into every car to save costs. Then, if you purchase the option, say heated seats, they activate it through software. They dont have to physically do anything to the car.

Nowhere does it say or imply you will have to pay a subscription for the heated seats

Its pretty crystal clear to me.

Bullfighter likes this.
  11. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    From what I read of the article, at first it mentions clearly that "(...)heated seats, could be offered on a subscription basis, with periods mentioned ranging from one month to three years." to then end with a "Some features – again, we don’t know exactly which – will incur a one-time cost instead of a regular subscription." so yes, I can honestly say that, from the article posted, its a litle confusing to me wether the heated seats will be a one-time cost option or subscription based cost option one.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe not a bad idea if done right. no cost for the feature up front then pay for the month you want it. heated seats from dec to march. cooled seats june to august. exhaust for when go to track. etc. as long as not more costly than just buying feature and having it forever including resale

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    IBM did this back in the 1960's.

Back then they sold some models of their computers with magnetic core memory that was half disabled. It was a combination of wanting common configuration efficiency and a way to get an easy post installation upsell. When a customer started using the system and discovered they would benefit from more memory, the account rep would sell them on a memory upgrade. Then the IBM tech would come in, open the computer up, simply clip a wire, and restore the full memory capacity. It probably helped that back then, IBM leased their computers, so they owned the hardware anyway and having extra costs in the system not immediately paid for was all internal accounting. It also helped that no computer user in the history of computers ever said, "I need less memory". :D

And they're still doing it:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/POWER5/ipha2_p5/cuodconproc.htm

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    BMW is a trash can company now. Because that is what they build..trash cans with wheels. They are an awful, awful car.

bluedog111 and E60 M5 like this.
  15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    You guys can trash BMW all you want , but they are not marketing their vehicles to the auto purists any more. Its the suburban moms and dads that want to feel like they've "made it "by upgrading their Toyotas and Kias to an X3. That's why their sales continue to grow every year. Personally, I feel like they've lost their sporting way, but that doesn't matter because people like me no longer drive the market.

boxerman likes this.
  16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Now?

17. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    yup, the b58 is in toyota supra and bmw workhorse in just about everything.

18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The I6 has always been their best engine. Trouble with high pressure fuel pumps on the first few turbos notwithstanding, they know how to build an I6. I wish They kept NA versions of it around for enthusiast minded cars. They have the platform to do it, and the lineup to cover the costs & emissions. That's the real pity IMO, that they're messing up even the sportier cars. There are still a few cars in their lineup that are great to drive (smaller, more "stripped" cars like the 2 series coupé (non-M) and the sadly departed RWD 1 series) but the potential is there for more.

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree, but like I said above, there is space for good cars in their lineup, still, if they'd bother to build them.

20. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Doesn’t Tesla do the same?

From an operational standpoint it’s logical. Rather than building multiple versions of seats they build one and allow turning on/off the underlying option(s). Probably got cost of construction down and lessen the warranty/repair issues by constructing it as a single unit. Not convinced of the subscription angle but I can see why they’d want ongoing subscription revenues and how they might sell that book for a discounted cash value or even leverage it.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    INTMD8 likes this.
  22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What’s a bit insulting here is that clearly these features cost next to nothing to install. Is BMW so desperate for cash that they need to hit owners up for another $18/month?

Just enable it for “free” in the $50,000+ car…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas and INTMD8 like this.
  23. Joker

Joker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Who knows
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That kinda greed doesnt surprise me from a company that charges £180 for the armrest to be slideable on a 3 series…

We have a 3 series wagon for dog transport, and it feels just insanely cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Pretty sure everyone will be doing it at some point

All cars will have all functions just need to pay to use it lol

BJK likes this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Look at the explosion of TV subscriptions. Everyone has jumped in on it. It's out of control.

Alcav5 and Bas like this.