Bronze 16" wheels ? Maybe... | FerrariChat

Bronze 16" wheels ? Maybe...

Discussion in '308/328' started by 11506apollo, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    I ordered one 16" wheel to see how it fits the hub, make sure the 5x108 is correct and offset is acceptable, and see how it looks overall
    Lets see how it works and check the group's opinnion on it , then decide if I will replace all 4 390mm wheels , or continue the search for another 16" in "yellow ish" color
    As soon as it gets here I will post pics

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

What brand did you go with? I have seen several bronze wheels that I think look really nice. Look forward to seeing some pics.

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Update on the "Bronze" wheel
    Received the 16"x7" wheel
    It looks great to me
    The bolt pattern turned out to be 117 or something so obviously it wont match the hub
    However my main intent was to get one in my hands and check the possible interferences
    It has a 38mm backspace offset and the oem wheel bolts will not fully enter the wheel holes to reach the hub so thats an issue to be takled later
    Right now I have to go to a 17"x8" wheel to get a 5x108 bolt pattern
    This one is on order
    Judging by all I can see, this 17x8 may work ok
    I like the looks and the car could probably benefit from a 8" tire will see
    Here are pics for your enjoyment
    ANy comments or suggestions are very welcome

4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Keep in mind that our 390mm oem wheel is equivalent to 15.35" so, going to a 16" wheel is barely noticeable in my opinnion
    A change to 17" becomes a noticeable and obvious change
    Also, for the price of 4 TRX tires ( I near replacement anyways) we can buy four of these wheels and bolts and top notch tires and have money left

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Claudio, I believe the wheel you got with 38mm offset is for the front wheel drive car, my friends Honda Civic has the 16” with 38mm offset. I also thought 17”is the biggest size you can use without looking disproportion on the 308. Good choice on the wheel by the way. Are you going for 17x8 front and 17x9 rear?

6. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hmm, It is not quite as simple as that. the 390TRX rim is a TRX rim not just any old standard rim https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx.html using voodoo in the TRX technology Michelin were able to derive better vibration absorbtion from a shallower tyre side wall, TRX is pretty clever stuff. please look at my web page attached where i hope i explain how TRX voodoo works.

Also bare in mind before Ferrari fitted TRX they could have fitted 15" wheels, but they didn't. they fitted 14".

Are those 16" wheels really so cheap, or does the cumulative bill for wheels and tyres include your fitting budget tyres?

We offer the Pirelli P7 on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308.html which is actually a proper tyre built to be fitted to an 80s super car. they are relatively comon tyre sizes. But the generic modern tyre that is fitted to a modern saloon car is different to the tyre that is built to be fittedd to a 1980s super car. And a Pirelli tyre is better than a budget tyre.

I know i'm going to get a barage of flack for this, but some times saving money is just buying something that is not as good. You can buy a red MR2 but it isn't a ferrari.

7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    This world of wheels, tires, camber, offsets, etc, etc is really complex to me.
    Why people keep refering to trx 390 mm as a 14" wheel when it measures 15.3" ?

Anyways, I will get the 17"x 8" and 72 mm hub openning and 5x108 mm bolt pattern this Thursday and see how it looks and fits the hub and wheel arch.

I will soon need advice and support from you gentle people on the following topics, assuming of course This wheel will work on the 308:

1- Do I need a spacer to bring the wheel outwards at least an inch. Im guessing yes in view of the +38mm offset versus the +11 mm on the TRX ( correct me if wrong)

2- what do I do to center the relatively large 72 mm hub openning onto the trx hub ?

3- this is the big one in my mind. Bolts!
    This 17" wheel will for sure require new bolts Who can help me with measurements and where do I go to purchase?

4- Finally tires I personally prefer not to stagger and remain 8" all around But i dont know what is the proper tire wall/height to compensate for the larger wheel diameter, in order to keep the tire circunference/perimeter near normal

Any suggestions and comments are very much appreciated
    Thanks

8. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    The specs for the 308 QV TRXs are given here :

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/trx/220-55wr390-michelin-trx.html

Go to the Tirerack website here : https://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-tires.jsp

Then click on the model of tire you're considering fitting, let's say the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S :

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Click on the "Sizes" tab and it'll give you the options available in 17" sizes :

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Click on your chosen size (let's say the 215/45/17) :

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145YR7PS4SXL&tab=Sizes

Click on the "Specs" tab and the tire you've chosen will be at the top of the list along with all the relevant specifications ie the rolling radius etc

The OE Michelin TRX has an inflated diameter of 642 mm / 25.27" whereas the newer PS 4S has a slightly smaller inflated diameter of 627mm / 24.7".
    A difference in overall diameter of 15mm (or more pertinently 8mm radius). The difference between a new and worn out tyre is about 8-9 mm ...

Hope that helps.

9. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    JC
    It does help on item (4) Thank you.

10. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    On the basis the wheels you intend fitting have the same PCD ? and you need a 1" spacer that adapts from a 72mm centre bore to the Ferrari 67mm bore hub, I'd buy a set of off the shelf H & R spacers such as these :

https://frsport.com/h-r-6035670-trak-wheel-spacer-dra-30mm-ferrari-308-gtb-1975-1985

Any good machine shop should be able to make a set of centering rings for you out of steel or aluminium and these will enable the new wheels to be fitted hub centric to the spacer. Whoever supplies the spacers should be able to supply extended wheel bolts, though you'll need to check the wheel bolt seats in the 17" wheels are compatible with the thread dia and pitch of the wheel bolts that fit the boltholes in the 308 hubs ...

11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    This is the bit I don’t get. Spending time and money modifying a car to a compromised spec so you can buy cheap tyres.

12. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    If you’re going racing it all makes sense.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Not that you have any conflict of interest Dougal...

14. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Car wont be tracked. Never will.
    I have other toys for the track, not the 308.
    This is just an experiment as I described on my original post
    Im curious as to how the 308 will look on these bronze wheels Thats all.
    And I dont intend to buy cheap tires, I have never gone cheap on this car and never will
    Got the time (thanks to Covid) got the money and if it turns out ugly or not to my taste, the wheel will become wall ornament in my shop Cheers and lets hope for another Podium tomorrow!!

15. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I think Dougal meant cheap literally (as in costs less) since however good the 16” tyres are that you buy, they will still be cheaper than the 390mm tyres.

16. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    ... and better

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    how do you spell cynicism?

18. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Sorry if I came across as cynical— I was aiming more for sarcasm :) The main thing is we agree that 16” tyres will be cheaper.

19. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  20. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I get what Dougal is saying (I think): the TRX is more than enough tire to explore the 308's limits on public roads and its cost, while initially high compared to other tires, will end-up being a wash by the time you factor-in the time and money spent creating a one-off work-around.
    If you're racing, that time and money is well spent making the car faster.
    There are obviously reasons other than higher performance to modify your car though and in this case the TRX falls flat in the selection of available wheels.
    If this were my project it wouldn't be about the cost at all, but getting the look I wanted [shrug].

21. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    As I stated at post #1 my top reason on this experimentation is for the looks A secondary reason is ease of selection of tires, saving $ is not on my list

22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal