Question on my 812 GTS spec | FerrariChat

Question on my 812 GTS spec

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by chet, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I specced out an 812 GTS yesterday at the dealer. I decided on TDF Blue exterior with a beige interior. Very happy with that combo. I chose Daytona seats with black inserts. The salesman advising me is very experienced and I trust his judgement as it relates to making the whole package work. He suggested I get blue stitching on the seats and a blue horse stitched on the headrest. I am worried that the blue will look strange with the beige/black combo. I've included a pic from the configurator. Any thoughts? I can upload other configurator pics if there's interest.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    My GTS is also TDF with beige, blue dash, blue side door panels . I went with the diamond blue stitch seats, blue horse . Have you thought about changing the Daytona inserts to blue medio instead of black? That way the issue will be resolved with the blue stitching and blue horse.

ANOpax, tomc, gliazzurri and 2 others like this.
  3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I would replace all the black interior parts with Blu Sterling which is a very dark blue leather. The mix of black and blue is not as nice a look imho. Second choice use black for stitching and horses along with the other black areas you’ve already chosen.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

ANOpax, Adamas, tfazio and 3 others like this.
  4. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    Congrats for you GTS! Blu TDF is a great choice. Which wheels and calipers you choose?
    I think the inserts in black and the cavallino and the stitching in blue will not match.
    IMO, better to opt for the inserts in blue, or the horse and stitching in black.
    If you are not sure, there is certainly something that needs to change.
    The car needs to be 100% within your expectations.
    The salesperson may have experience, but personalization is very subjective.
    Have you considered Racing Daytonas? You can opt for thick piping, and dark blue (Blu Medio or Sterling) inserts and stitching. Below is an example.

Adamas, junc, gliazzurri and 3 others like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree with you and this looks very good.

6. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the replies.

The salesman's point was that the black inserts tie in with all of the other black in the interior. However, I agree with everyone saying it will be strange with the blue/black combo. My choices are:
    1. Replace blue stitching with black
    2. replace black inserts with blue inserts
    3. remove the black inserts and go with an all beige seat with blue or black stitching
    Personally, I am leaning toward #1.

7. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    #7 chet, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Went with the Matt Grigio Corsa standard wheels with black calipers--I was told all wheel choices are 20" and those were the ones that caught my eye. The salesman asked what kind of car do you want to design? Something with a racing look or something elegant. My feeling is that this car is more elegant than flashy which is why I decided against any racing type options (racing seats, black wheels etc). I got a little carbon--steering wheel (must do according to the salesman) and the central bridge. No carbon outside.

Your pic has me intrigued--I don't think the thick piping is available on the standard daytona seats? Any other differences between the racing and regular daytona seats? Comfort?

8. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    Chet, Chris down the road here in Indianapolis. I too am specking an 812 GTS in the TDF blue with a Couio interior. I was also having the same dilemma on the interior whether to do some blue accents, but I think I have decided to go with all black accents. I felt like if I did any blue trim it would need to have the blue dash and didn't think that would look quite right. I think the only major differences between our cars will be that I have ordered every piece of carbon fiber available.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

chet and ab08 like this.
  9. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    #9 ab08, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Beautiful choice of wheel. Black calipers also looked great.
    IMO, the salesman's argument, limiting your configuration in racing OR elegance, is a little generic. Today Ferrari offers a level of personalization that makes it possible to combine elegance and racing feel in a balanced way. The Racing Daytona seats itself is an example of this.
    As for comfort, I think Racing Daytona is even more comfortable than regular Daytona. It also offers greater support when deciding to pull the car harder.
    But this is a very personal matter, it would be good for you to personally test both types of seats.
    Regarding the thick piping, I suppose it is exclusive to Racing seats.

10. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    Perhaps a good way is to configure the bottom of the dash in dark blue, and the top of the dash and steering wheel in black. It would be quite balanced.
    But there is no wrong choice, it is win-win.

11. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I will now be the contrarian here. I went GTS Grigio on Couio and have a Grigio cavallino on mine but black dash etc. I think it works, especially with the GTS, because it relates to the exterior which is a color that will be very much front and center...top down etc.. I think it will totally work but it has to work for you. I had a similar challenge on my Roma as I went black upper and Sabbia lower with a Roma blu exterior....solved it by making the thin trim piece bw them couio and did the cavallino in couio. One option would be to go w the stamped cavallino instead of a stitched one if you are unsure. Life’s hard choices ;). Seriously though, I did iterate a ton myself.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    On a more fundamental level I believe the Blu TdF paint color was changed to a lighter shade of blue. It is different now than the old darker Blu TdF paint. You might want to confirm this detail with your sales person.
    My choice would be all black for the interior, dash and steering wheel. Blue inserts for the seats and the horse plus blue on the door panels and perhaps on the lower dash. Or instead of the lower dash in blue do the carpet in blue.
    Painted shields as there is lots of room on those front fenders. Take a look at how the NART blue F60 press car interior was finished; minus that red seat of course! :)

13. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Building mine tomorrow and not totally decided, but leaning towards Grigio GTS exterior, yellow calipers, diamond wheels, and an interior with black leather/ciaccolato alcantara and Grigio Scuro double thick stitching, including the headrest Cavallino. All carbon fiber options except engine covers and Aluminum rev counter. Looked great in the configurator. Hope the same is true in person!

14. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Just an opinion, but that is a lot of color combinations, especially black and brown together inside, then the whole package also in total stepping back. You've listed 4 or 5 including stitching which is a lot in my assessment.

15. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Sounds like a great spec. Only thing I’d throw out there - I find yellow callipers clash with a grey/silver exterior. As such, I’ve gone for aluminium coloured callipers... makes the whole exterior seem like polished metal. Of course these things are subjective, but try it on the configurator if you haven’t already!

of2worlds likes this.
  16. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just sitting back and loving the discussion here. Love the choices being discussed. So many F cars appear to have specced out by a stripper or someone with severe mental disease :)

gliazzurri likes this.
  17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I’d go with option 1. Replace the blue stitching with black, that will make the horses in black and then it all works. I think you should keep it consistent. So if you want blue horses, then you should do the stitch and the inserts in blue. Congratulations on the GTS!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    complete personal preference but i think the black inserts would clash with the blue horse/stitching. i would either go blue inserts or no color inserts

gliazzurri likes this.
  19. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've ordered multiple blue TDF / tan cars with at least three specced at the dealer and one at Atelier. I did everyone with as much Blue Sterling leather as possible to replace that which was black. The Cal T which was done at Atelier also have all blue carbon fiber. My problem is Ferrari won't let me use Blue Sterling through out my Roma on order. It has to be black. My GTS will be Tailor Made and will tentatively head done the same path as the Atelier Cal T with a blue/tan combo and blue carbon.

ANOpax likes this.
  20. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I wouldn't get the CF wheel seeing as you don't have other CF. Aluminum or leather would do nicely.

21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I had a blu pozzi/sabbia F12 and all of the standard interior black was replaced with blue sterling and blue stitching. I recommend that. (My 812's standard black was replaced by cuoio.)

If not, then go all black, but whatever you do, do not mix the two. Get the LED wheel and cover with either the blue or black leather you've chosen. The beige steering looks awkward. Regardless, black vent rings, not red.

Yellow calipers look outstanding with a blue exterior, especially if you go with painted shields and bring that inside with a yellow tach- subtle touch.

If not, I'd do silver calipers rather than black and silver, not matte wheels.

ANOpax and of2worlds like this.
  22. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I used to think the same but to be honest don't think it's that big of a deal. The big deal with the carbon wheel is the lights, not so much the carbon in and of itself I would say. Yes you can wrap it in leather and if you like a leather wheel that is cool. But I think it still can work well just in terms of the style. What do you mean by aluminum though? I thought we were talking exclusively about the carbon wheel, not the zone.

23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Can get leather LED wheel. I am. I’ll post my spec later.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Avia11 like this.
  24. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Something like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login T

gliazzurri likes this.
  25. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Found a better pic:
    [​IMG]

Thecadster and gliazzurri like this.