Dry Supm Vs. QV Vs. 328 | FerrariChat

Dry Supm Vs. QV Vs. 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by J-P, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Edit: Yep, I know how to spell "sump", but can't change it now.

Hello, everyone. Looking for some advice, here.

Let me start by saying I am a long-time P-car guy, completely inexperienced in F-cars, other than knowing I have always liked them. I have been looking for a 930 turbo, and have become increasingly frustrated with the quality of cars out there. As a result, my thoughts have turned toward perhaps purchasing a Ferrari, as I have never owned one, and thought this might be a good time to change direction.

I like the experience of driving older cars without too much technology and gadgetry, other than wanting air conditioning. I really appreciate the rawness, smells, sounds, etc. I am attracted by things like the toggle switches and aluminum instrument fascia of the 308s.

My other criteria in a car are:

- Priced right around the $100k mark, preferably below.
    - Should have something unique and fairly low production about it.
    - Should have collectible value to it, and be a good contender for appreciation going forward.
    - Must not be a garage/trailer queen. I do want to drive and enjoy it during my ownership.
    - I should be able to spend more time driving it for pleasure, rather than to the shop.

Based on these criteria, I have somewhat ruled out the 360/430, and am considering a 308 dry sump, a QV, or a 328. I know the 328 is considered particularly reliable in this group, but may lack the collectibility of the others??

I do enjoy participating in the social aspects of the hobby, C&Cs, clubs, etc.

I was hoping to get some insight and recommendations from the membership here about which car might be best, or even other cars that I might want to consider. I am located in the Dallas area if that helps.

Thank you very much for any responses. Looking forward to reading them.

Cheers.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Dry sump

(and I have owned a QV for 23 years)

It will hold value as well.

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

+1 on the dry sump. It will meet most of your requirements, rawness, smells and the sounds are the best for the carb versions. 76 or 77 will have the hotter cams making it the highest performing. The only challenge will be finding a dry sump under $100K. They weren’t sold in the US, so any dry sump that you find will have been imported by an individual, collector, etc.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  4. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Thank you. There is a 1979 dry sump car I am starting to evaluate. Supposedly had a full and comprehensive service as of 2019, glass out repaint in 2017, excellent documentation, recent PPI by Tim Stanford that turned up a few minor issues, which have all been addressed. Price is right in the ballpark of what I listed.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dry sump Euros (made thru 1980 WITH carbs in Europe) are maybe the best long term stability of the three models, only a very low miles "put away" last year 328.

And while "newest", the fact I've owned three early (US) 308s tell you where my thoughts lie...welcome to the club.
    Sounds nice....

They would also be NON CAT engines.
    Examine the paper trail carefully, that's the only reason I did not explore Euros....

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One small thing must be added: dry sump, Euros, are only GTBs, not GTSs (= there are no dry sump GTSs anywhere, all GTSs are wet sump). So, Dry Sump GTBs should be compared with other GTBs variants, and in that matter, although I agree that a 308 GTB dry sump is indeed more desirable than a 308 GTB QV or a 328 GTB, considering the production volumes, the 308 GTB QVs (748 produced) and the 328 GTBs (1344 produced, of which only 135 or so for the US market) are actually more rare than the dry sump GTBs...Just saying.

Rgds

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    All "euros" 308 and 328, whichever the variant, are Non-Cat.
    Except the "second half" of the swiss market 328s production, starting mid 1987 (this swiss-market model was also sold in Sweden, with the additional tiny headlight washer outlet in front of the headlight pods, peculiar to Sweden only)

Rgds

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    308 GTB drysump (only euro 308 GTB cars are drysump) today is the best you can buy as a mix of rarity and importance, it's the same as fiberglass with a (better, in my opinion) steel body. I would avoid (owners please forgive me) 2Vi cars and QV too (an excellent car, however). 328 (the best model of the series) is too common, in my opinion. I would add a model I recomend, beside the drysump: the (328) GTB turbo, even if (almost) there aren't in the USA. Very rare, almost perfect like any 328, fast, exotic and reliable: only 308 units made.

This said, buy the best EURO SPEC car you can find (a 2Vi too): every 308-328 is a great car

ciao

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hahaha! I KNEW you'd put a plug in for the Turbo, Alberto! :p

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Buy the car to enjoy. They are all just used cars.

dwhite and mike996 like this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Did you? ;) I told the drysump first!

10 years ago you could buy a very good (328) GTB turbo with 25k: now it's three times

ciao

Ferraridoc likes this.
  12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Hmm.. buy three 328's, put one away, start restoration on the second and drive the third like you stole it.

Just something to think about. ;-)

Lester

13. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    I would say that as long as it is an early unit 76-77 Non Cat you are on the safe zone. Dry or Wet.
    Buy the best unit even if that unit reaches your top budget.
    Provision another 10K the first year to make it a solid and safe driver

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If it is dry sump, then it is "Non-Cat"; there is no such thing as a "dry sump with cat" 308...

Rgds

15. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I own & drive very regularly, a dry sump, a QV and a 328
    And comparing them is actually not so easy.

Power for all is about the same, surely, on paper there is some difference but in real life, you will not notice it much.
    The way the power is supplied however is different.

The dry sump is raw, the sound is like you want it to be for a Ferrari, without being too much on a long trip.
    btw, the sound is actually produced by both the exhaust and the inlet. Out of the three (all compared with stock exhaust) The dry sump wins with ease.

Finesse of power delivery.
    Nothing can really beat k-jetronic on these old car so clear the QV and the 328 are the smoother ones. As for as sound. They are oke and really allow for a conversation in the car if you want. And K-jet is truly reliable and virtually maintenance free

Interior.
    Depending on personal preferences. I really do like the old skool style of the 308’s. But from a time-period perspective, the 328 with it leds is nice too. So I like that toJ

Exterior.
    This is really a strange phenomenon. Sometime I really prefer the 308 look. The small bumpers, the sharp end of the front, the lack of louvres in the front hood. But then again, looking at my 328, I love that too. The updated front and rear bumpers give it a smoother look. Which again, sometimes I simply like better, and sometime not.

Reliability.
    I own the 328 and the Qv for 12 years, The dry sump came in 2013. Doing all maintenance myself I pretty much stay on top of things but I certainly not overdo it. I do use the cars very regularly, spreading the miles over all three. All together I did about 60.000 km with the three cars combined. They never let me down, exempt once, on a trip or multi day vacation to Italy or wherever. The one time it did was with the Drysump one day after a 1200 km trip. The very next day my throttle pedal fell on the floor due to a broken cable, right in front of the Hotel. I considered myself very lucky it did not happen during the tripJ

So to summarize. There is not a “better” car among these three types. Depending on my mood I select one for a trip. I really NEVER ONCE during any of my trips and tours I had the thought like “ah, I should have taken the…” Driving one of them, regardless which one, always results in a big smile that will last for hours.

Attached Files:

ggjjr, Albert-LP, 308 milano and 3 others like this.
  16. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Thanks for the response. And I like your garage! I wish I could buy three cars right now, but will have to settle for only one.

The dry sump I am looking at appears to be from a seller with a negative reputation here in the community, so I need to proceed with caution.

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yours is one of the best comparison analyses I've ever read. THANK YOU!

It is so cool that you get your choice of 3x8s the way you do. A beautiful stable of (prancing) horses.

Looks like your blue one has some serious race track modifications done to it. What model is it?

308 milano likes this.
  18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thank you Brian and yes, I do feel privileged taking care of these beauties.
    As for the bue one, your observation is correct. There's actually a small thread on the build of this car if you are interested.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/call-me-stupid-again.293251/

19. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    I meant he should not discard at all an early non cat wet sump

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The title of the thread he started is about "Dry Sump", so his choice is made already...

Rgds

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, actually it's "Dry Supm" but I'm with Steven, the differences are overrated. I bought an '83 QV and find myself fiercely loyal to all of the subtle differences like color of the A-pillars and rockers to how many vents it has on the nose. Silly things that in truth, mean nothing. Fact is they are all good, you can't go wrong.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes but, quoting the O.P third criteria:
    "should have collectible value to it ,and be a good contender for appreciation going forward".
    Of the three considered, the GTB Dry Sump is probably the one with the best potential in that matter.

Rgds

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Meh, they've all got that, why tear your hair out trying pick nits?

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    well as I had them all too, here you are my driving/owning impression of the lineup:

best car to drive with a small mod.: 328 GTB with aftermaket exhaust (Tubi or what you want)
    best car to drive OEM: (328) GTB turbo.
    Best car as historical charm and vintage sensations: 308 GTB, both fiberglass and steel models (carbed, euro = drysump)
    Best car with your wife: 328 GTS (OEM)
    Best looking car: 208 GTB turbo
    Best car as reliability: 328 (all Euro)

And I want to add this:

Cars to avoid: 308 USA models (all), heavy modded (all)
    Most overrated cars: fiberglass wet sump

ciao

25. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

I would go for a dry-sump GTB or a GTB QV.
    I think GTB's are much prettier and they are rarer, so will probably hold their value better.
    But there are many threads discussing GTS vs GTB, so no need to go into that. For 100K I would skip the US-cars and the 2Vi's.

328 might be one of the best Ferraris ever built, but it lacks some of the style of the earlier 308's I think. I love the dash and the toggle-switches in my GTB QV.

Albert-LP likes this.