New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules | FerrariChat

New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules

Discussion in '360/430' started by S F, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I wanted to introduce myself and give the story of my 360 Modena that I recently purchased. The car I purchased really breaks most of the rules when it comes to Ferrari ownership for the following reasons:

-Purchased it basically sight unseen, only some poor photographs and conversation with the owner
    -No PPI
    -High Mileage (44k)
    -Some service history, but not complete history
    -Drove it home halfway across the country

Why would I choose this car? First, and likely obviously, it was a good deal and I have always been a sucker for a good deal. I never learn from my mistakes as I typically go for the 'good deal' and then spend so much money and effort on it that I could have just bought a nicer example to begin with, but that's not as fun nor as satisfying in the end to me. I'm a big DIY person and plan to do everything to this car on my own, as long as it is within my capabilities.

The car itself is a 2000 360 Modena F1 that is Pozzi Blue. It had a major service threeish years ago so it is coming due again in the not so distant future. It has also had its manifolds replaced as well as some other common issues addresses which were nice pluses from me.

The largest issue with this car is the cosmetic condition. The headlights are badly hazed and living in a dusty desert environment combined with poor washing techniques has left the paint badly hazed and swirled.

While I plan to fix as many of the cosmetic issues that I can, I also see them as somewhat of a plus, as I can drive this car with little worry. I owned a nearly perfect low mileage 997 a few years back that was so nice that I always felt guilty driving it and hated putting miles on it. While it was nice to have that car, I didn't want to make that mistake again as I know how I am and I've had a lot more fun with my higher mileage driver quality cars than the garage queens.

The day I picked up the car we flew from Texas to California on very little sleep. Took an uber to the owner's house, did the deal and could now call myself a Ferrari owner, something that still seems odd to think about at times!

Did I mention this car also had a wrap that was very much not to my tastes?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1500 miles to go at this point

Filled up in California. Not the most I've ever paid for fuel, but pretty close...

Great scenery, including what can be seen from the rear view mirrors!

First milestone of the trip.

Spent the night in Tuscon, AZ as we were completely exhausted.

More fuel.

More beautiful scenery.

Second milestone of the trip.

No car hauler for this one!

Las Cruces, NM view from a rest stop area.

Next milestone, almost felt like I was home until I realized we were only halfway there, haha.

Took a bit of a detour as my wife really wanted to see Prada, Marfa and it wasn't that far out of the way.

View from the other side of Prada, Marfa.

Not long after this we decided to call it a day and spent the night in Fort Stockton, TX. Nice little town, but we got back on the road early the next morning.

As we got to San Antonio we found the first rain of the trip.

Before we knew it, we were back home! 1500+ miles in three days in a Ferrari was like a dream come true; however, I was beyond beat after the trip. I planned to go get some sleep but instead I couldn't take it and had to remove the numbers.

Since that went well, I thought, why not go a little further.

Then decided to go all the way.

Much better. It looks like the roof may need a respray, likely the reason for the wrap in the first place. Honestly, I'd rather look at paint that is slightly off than this wrap so I'll live with it for now.

Pictures the next day

Interior after a good cleaning

That's pretty much where I'm at as of today. The car is currently waiting on a pair of O2 sensors that I ordered as I'm getting a "no response" code from the passenger side bank 1 sensor. I found it improperly routed by the last shop that worked on it which left a lot of tension on the wires, I'm hoping simply switching it out and routing it correctly will do the trick. I will do my best to keep this thread updated as I make improvements or changes to the car.

Overall, I'm very excited to have this car and it will either end up being my dream or my nightmare :D

2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Photos not working for me!

Kevin

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you don't already have a good bi-directional scanner, get one. They are key to satisfactory Ferrari ownership. That's my opinion anyway. You'll need a quality one way scanner at least. I suggest the Autel AP200 ($70), which can read all the systems in the 360. If you're going to do your own maintenance, then you should probably go up a notch and get something like the Autel MS906, which can not only read systems but also do active tests.

These are great cars that are meant to be taken apart and put back together again. Parts are plentiful, although expensive and an active dismantler network assures a continued supply of things that can't be purchased new.

Since you've already put a vast number of miles on the car without needing a flatbed, you may actually luck out and have a sorted example.

Good luck with the car and drive it like you stole it!

4. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Strange. I uploaded them on Flickr, which usually works for most people. Could they be blocked on your server?

Thank you. I have a Foxwell NT530 and purchased the Ferrari software for it but it doesn't work very well from what I've seen. I'm able to read the engine ECUs but that's about it. Shame as it was able to actually code on my 911 and communicate with almost all of the modules. I will look into those options as I would like to be able to speak to the F1 trans. Do you know if either of those will read the remaining clutch life? That is what I'm most interested in. I've owned a few BMWs with SMG transmissions and having the ability to read codes on those as well as clear adaptations was a lifesaver, as I imagine it would be on the F1 trans as they are similar setups.

That's a good point about the flatbed. I can't say I wasn't nervous driving this across the country, especially when I was in the middle of the desert. We would have loved to have had more side trips but between the unknown car and the current state of the country, we just focused on getting home during this trip.

5. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Weird. I have them all now. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Kevin

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Congrats! Pozzi blue is awesome. But I'm partial to blue Ferraris. Almost bought a Pozzi blue car from Cali.

Enjoy, life is an adventure and to have fun. ;)

Dewinator likes this.
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Congratulations! Mine was also a high mileage example... but I had it shipped to me (which was good because needed new coils and would have given me a slow down light if I decided to drive it). The nice thing is now you have all the time you want to make it "yours". Enjoy in good health!

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Congrats! That you made it all the way home driving it is a good sign! I almost got a Blu Pozzi 360 coupe with a gated manual but it kept throwing CELs on test drives, so that was that. I will be interested in following your progress. Getting rid of that wrap was a great first step.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Is that a Cuoio interior? Really classy combo with the Pozzi.

sparetireless and Caphill like this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    epic! those desert pictures are amazing. what a trip.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I remember seeing this one listed when I was searching for a 360. That wrap totally turned me off and that's probably why you got such a good deal. I have to say it looks really good now that you've removed it. Just curious what you got it for. But if you would rather not say, I totally understand.

absostone and VAF84 like this.
  12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Looks like breaking the rules was the way to do it. I did that in 2002 in a 10 year old Testarossa with only 3200 miles on it. Had the car 8 years. 0 problems.

13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    You've enjoyed your Ferrari immediately after picking it up more than some do over the entire course of their ownership :D

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!

nicholasn, Stealthssfc and jag-oo-r like this.
  14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Good job. Nice to remove that vinyl.

I would take your time and take care of everything to bring the car up to perfect mechanical condition. Then enjoy taking care of the other aesthetics.

mileage isn’t really an issue

thanks for posting photos of your trip.

Enjoy!

Robb

15. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    You didn't break ALL the rules. I see you followed these:

- Blue is best
    - Pics or it didn't happen
    - Higher mileage is better, more of the car's issues have already been discovered

16. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    what a great story, candid owner taking risk with a purchase, flying during COVID, and driving a new acquisition half way across the country! great pics!

17. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I remember seeing that car for sale a while back. The foxwell will only communicate with both engine banks if the immobilizer is disengaged. It will communicate with the TCU (transmission control unit) if it is with newer software. Your best bet is to get a TCU capable of having the PIS manually input and having it reflashed with Challenge Stradale maps. A few of the last generations of TCU will communicate as well. There is article on Aldousvoice that goes into it. The hazing on the headlights is often caused by the headlight level adjuster failing. Currently there is no way to get new ones without buying another headlight. I'm currently in the process of manufacturing them, but I've been kinda busy. I did a write up on rebuilding the headlights called 360 headlight rebuild should you choose to rebuild them. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Awesome! Glad to see someone picked up this car and can give us the scoop. As others have mentioned, this car has appeared on the radar of many Fchatters searches. I wondered about this car during my search as it frequently came up. If I’d known the wrap would come off that easy I would have probably looked even closer.

I’m a fellow rule breaker btw. I too was seeking a 360, but ran into my F430 in Scottsdale. Flew in, drove it back to Austin the same day with similar stops along the way. Wonderful way to start the ownership experience. I plan to try and remove the stripes on mine as well, but unfortunately the ones on the hood are under the 3m tape and I’m scared of peeling some paint off or discoloration upon removal.. Regardless, I may give it a go if time ever permits.

Enjoy your new ride, welcome, and hope to see you around at one of the central Texas events!

Al Casteen likes this.
  19. Lifeboatboy

Lifeboatboy Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    London, UK
    Great story - delighted for you.

20. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great story and great pictures. Enjoy!

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Another Ferrari in Texas! Great adventure for you and your wife and glad you took the time to share it. Couple things come to mind...
    I have a Blu Pozzi 430 with Cuoio, so welcome to the Blue club
    Join the Ferrari club of America, the local Alamo chapter is very active and meets at the dealer once a month along with drives and other activities.

There is a Texas sub forum in the Regional Areas/Midwest/ Texas, keep a check there for events and Texas-oriented stories.

Add a couple pics to my blue 360/430 thread here..

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/how-many-of-you-have-a-blue-360-430.501303/#post-144226296

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Glad they work now!

I originally thought this car was black from the photos, but after realizing it was blue I sent a feeler message out to see how the seller would respond, the rest is history.

Thank you, I'm going to need lots of time to get it where I want it, ha!

Gated manual would be a dream. I just got done converting my E46 M3 from SMG to manual and would love to do the same with this car; however, the parts appear to be a combination of extremely hard to find and very expensive.

Thank you! I believe it is Cuoio. How can I tell for sure? Is there a vin breakdown anywhere or a way to get the original build sheet?

Getting to see it all in person was so much better than the photos, I would definitely do it again.

I ended up working a pretty good deal on it, around the same price as a decent Corvette. I wouldn't sell the car for what I paid, that's for sure :)

I hope my luck is as good as yours!!!

That is a great point. I thought about on the way home that even if I sold it as soon as I got home, driving a Ferrari halfway across the country is something that most people will never get to experience. I feel very fortunate to have this car and hope that it gives me some stories that will last a lifetime.

Definitely, the vinyl was a bit embarrassing on the way home, but at least it protected the car from bugs, sand and everything else. Agree on getting the car up to perfect mechanical condition so I can drive without worry.

Agree :)

With no risk, there is no reward!

Great info, thank you. I've read some of that site, but will have to take a look at that specific article to figure this out.

As far as the lights, I would love to have these rebuilt. They appear foggy inside. I would like to take them apart to properly fix them, but I am going to do my research first as it isn't something I would want to mess up. It's too bad the lenses aren't available on their own as the foggy ones really make the car appear old.

I'm sure it has had some colorful banter in the past. Part of me wants to look up those threads and part of me would rather not.

I look forward to trying to make some of the events once the country can function as normal again.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Beautiful F430 and I will check out the regional forum, thanks for the tip!

23. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    My car is the same specification Pozzi Blue over Cuoio. It is pretty much the perfect specification to my eyes. I had to look long and hard to find a blue Ferrari. It sounds like you lucked into it. Fantastic luck! I hope you get some rest and start enjoying that gorgeous car.

24. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    When the headlights are disassembled the lenses can have the hazing cleaned and if necessary, be refinished. Mine were scuffed bad for the tint to stick and I was able to save them.

25. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Congrats! We are kindred spirits! I too just bought my first F-car (High mileage, former track rental, cosmetically challenged '08 Scud!). Haven't even laid eyes on it yet as its being transported from NYC! I too target unloved, somewhat neglected "deal" cars that I will have no guilt driving. I love to DIY, and love a deal, and for some strange reason, every single damn time I've ever purchased a "well used" car I am able to mentally take in stride all the little things (and big) that invariably go wrong. What I'm less good at dealing with is paying top dollar for a top specimen and then having to tackle that kind of stuff anyway! ($5k coolant pipe pinning on a pristine gt3 soon after purchase was mentally way more taxking for me than the $15k tranny repair on my track rat 996 gt3 I bought for 39k! ) Yeah, everyone says, "see, you would have been better off being a great example for top dollar," but that is only true if your top dollar specimen never has a big issue (and of that there is never any guarantee, particularly in Ferrari-Land, where sometimes those top dollar specimens mean low mileage and possibly an increased chance of gremlins and issues!). I bought my car because although it was a bit of a risk, knew it was well maintained for most of its life at a top-flight rental outfit with a full complement of race engineers (Petty), the price was right (for me), and don't much care about resale, it was a "bucket list" car for me, and I loved the color combo. Sometimes a car just speaks to you, and when it does you act, and then have no regrets. I fully expect some big bills on mine. But I went in knowing full well that big bills were not only likely but probable. And that's ok. I got a deal, I'll diy what I can, clean what I can, hunt ebay for what I can, and pay for what I can't! And it will be fun. And I will love it. And I will drive the wheels off it. And I will have no fear racking up miles. And with every repair the car will become a little more reliable, a little more sorted, a little less risky, and a little more special to me. And who knows, maybe after I've owned it for 10 years and re-established a service history showing that the car is solid, it may even go up in value a bit! Good luck. All of us are so lucky!