Extended Warranty - Age of Tires Matters?! | FerrariChat

Extended Warranty - Age of Tires Matters?!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DJP, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hey all-

2015 Cali-T looking to purchase the Ferrari extended Factory warranty for $4,500 for a year. In process of getting the car checked out and Ferrari is saying that the AGE of the tires matters?! Tires are 6 years old, are in good condition, but to get the warranty I need tires that are 4 years or newer. That seems...random.

Seems a shame to purchase new tires for $4k just to be able to purchase the extended warranty for another $4,500. Seems as though there is no time based window where you need to purchase the extended warranty. It's always available as long as you pass the test? Thinking drive hard for a while and then come back to purchase new tires and warranty.

Anyway, I searched the threads and couldn't find much about tires being an issue to pass warranty inspection. Just odd.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Lots of tires "age out" before they "wear out." Cracks can develop and chunks of the tread and sidewall can then come loose and possibly cause the vehicle to wreck. See if TireRack can do better on tire prices.

DJP likes this.
  3. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    The age of the tires is just a guide, not a hard and fast rule. A good way for them to sell a set of tires.
    If the tires were well looked after they should be just fine...
    As to purchasing new ones you can easily get a great set of tires for well under $1,000 .. Falken FK510 is a great tire and available at many retailers for $750.00 for the set ...

DJP likes this.
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, let's see...there are four small patches of rubber in contact with the road. Doesn't it make sense to make sure the tires are in top shape? Why take a chance?

BLAMPEE likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed. Five year old tires on a Ferrari that is likely to see spirited driving is a gamble I would not take. Not sure where you are located, but good set of Michelin should be in the $2K range. Our dealer let's me order from Tire Rack, drop ship to them, then they do the install. Ask about that option...T

carguyjohn350 and DJP like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Or, as Clint Eastwood would say, "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?"

DJP likes this.
  7. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I had to replace my tires on my SL as they were 6 years old. Less than 8K mileage. Dry rot. Do a search on the net. A lot depends on your climate.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seriously, I consider tires to be part of maintenance, the same as the battery and oil changes. I waited a long time to buy a Ferrari, not because I couldn't afford the car, but because I realized that the purchase price of the car is only one part of ownership. Now that I am retired and can enjoy driving often, I'm ready to assume the necessary expenses associated with owning and maintaining a Ferrari.

tomc likes this.
  9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
  11. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I bought my 2015 cali t (and its a Jan 2015) in Oct last year. It came from a Ferrari MD here in the UK with 2 year Ferrari warranty. It only had 6k miles on it and I'm pretty sure it has its original Bridgestones on (they are listed as an option for some reason)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    It is 5 years max here in the UAE. No warranty by Ferrari if you are running on older tyres . I had 13k kms on my car and they looked new but had to scrap them all the same to be able to extend my MD warranty. Cost over 2500USD to get them done here.

13. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    What next, buying worn out brake pads?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Old tires are dangerous. Especially on sports cars. So many vipers have been totaled due to old tires.

carguyjohn350 and BLAMPEE like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

4K seems to be dealer price? Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLFerrari likes this.
  16. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    My '15 Cali T had 16.000 miles and 2016 dated P Zeros on it when I got it in February. They still had good tread, but I replaced them immediately with a set of Falken FK510 Azenis tires for about $800 all in. I remembered that the Carrera GT carrying Paul Walker and his friend when they crashed had really old tires, not sure if they were a factor but Porsche used that fact in their defense of the inevitable lawsuit. Most people, myself included, like Michelin Pilot Sports, but they are about double the cost.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  17. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We haven't heard from the OP. I wonder if he finally got the message about the tires or if he's decided he's not ready to maintain one of these cars. Good tires and a fresh battery are necessary to get the most out of driving and will prevent a lot of heartache and trips to the dealer!

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is anything but random. After two years they start to get hard and crack, and if they have little wear, it is even worse.
    Just get a set of Porto spec MPS4S tyres on it. You can save a lot by havi g a normal but reputable shop change them. It's a car, no fancy tricks are involved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Often the case when one does not get the answer one was hoping for.

20. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yah and that’s what Gianfranco said initially. Actually turned out to be cheaper at around 2k. Forgot the type we ended up getting but will find out when I pickup car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. DJP

DJP Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    OP back! Sorry. Life :)

Of course I got new tires. That‘a not a problem nor unexpected. My post was about tire years (not wear) being a prerequisite for the warranty. But I suppose if tires are bad then can impact other parts.

Thanks for feedback everyone - safe driving!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Like was said, yes, they are now to be considered old. Even tyres which has never been mounted and stored correctly, are considered out of date after 7 years. 5 year old tyres which have been used and exposed to the elements, are done after 5 years. Remember these tyres were never meant to last very long all things considered. Some wear them down in 3-5 months. A good rule of thumb for these cars is a life of 2 years. Then get new ones no matter their wear.

tomc likes this.
  23. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Op I just purchased Goodyear Z rated front tires from Discount tires for $398 installed . Call them - great tires , both in looks and performance on my Cali T . James in San Antonio

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just bought 2 new rear OEM tyres for my Cali T they cost £500, fronts were a little cheaper. Pirelli P Zero 285/35/ZR20 100Y [F o1] so the correct tyre made for Ferrari. Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.