Rear challenge grill removal questions | FerrariChat

Rear challenge grill removal questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Guys I am a little stumped on this. Trying to remove my rear grill to repaint it. I understand you are supposed to unplug and remove the taillights to get to the bolts that hold the corners of the grill to the frame, but I don't see how you remove taillights - you have no room to either unscrew them or remove them due to the item circled in yellow. What is this item, and does it have to be removed, too, in order to gain access to the taillights? Do the taillights not stay attached to the challenge grill as it is removed?

The best writeup I could find on F-chat was this one http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104614 , but I think there's some instructions missing on how exactly these lights are supposed to come out. I presume that once the lights are out, unscrewing the bolts for the grill is easy.

I'm kind of high centered on this until I can get some more information.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    EDIT: It appears that there is no such item on the passenger side, and I have plenty of room to negotiate there.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #4 Husker, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    that looks like your smog air pump on the drivers side......

take your time..... take breaks..... it can be done.

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    so i am free to just go unfastening the thing until it comes off? I'm not going to have some sort of important fluids shooting everywhere? I better wait until Skid gives me his $.02. :D

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Lights came out before grill removal and I taped/marked each one and wire so I would know their place on return

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Driver's side; I believe it is the air injection pump for smog. The ugly green hose should go down to the air injection rails, there is a T in that line first to split it to the two sides (I was going to replace that hose with something nicer but never got around to it). I know I replaced a bulb but can't remember if I ever removed the tail lights, probably not. You may have to remove the pump but it shouldn't be too difficult and it isn't something that will mess things up if not done in some specific way.

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thanks guys! I have to do a risk / reward analysis tonight to figure out if I really want to screw with it. I tend to make a mess of things.