What is the upside of owning a Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What is the upside of owning a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F456M, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Being French we find Monaco as nice enough but quite frankly the all city is made out of questionable income.
    Provence as a All though and cities like Saint Maxime, nice and so many little villages are to die for.
    I love Monaco myself by there isn’t that much to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful Photo.

I was very sad no race this year, :(

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think there is 'a lot' to do, just most of it not very family-friendly if you know what I mean...
    ;)

4. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    The upside? Nothing other than a personal vendetta. 19 years ago a customer gave me a ride in his while I was just a pool boy. After he said, “I hope you enjoyed it, because you will never own one!” (F355) at that point I probably made. A few months later I quit the business I worked for. Started my own pool cleaning biz and flipped it a few years later. Rinse/repeat a few more times and a couple other businesses. For years I hated that guy and Ferrari’s because of it. Last year I strolled into a dealership in Austin to meet a friend. I was early and the salesman was more than happy to talk to me. Gave me a private tour of the vault and cars they had during f1 races. Man what a history Ferrari had. That day I saw a different side of the cars, and myself. A month later I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and drove out with a car. What I thought was anger years ago was flipped into gratefulness. I didn’t come from much. High school bored me and college was unattainable financially. Moved to Texas with $700 in 1999 determined to figure life out. I felt a lot of the world was against me back then. I never borrowed a dime to build what I had, but I was determined to make it somehow. But those grudges allowed me to buy one, and now my second 488 this week. I didn’t buy it to prove anything to anyone, but myself that anything was possible. I know the man said those words to me, and if I saw him today, I’d tell thank you. Because of him, I know what I’m capable of more than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great story.
    Congrats! Working your butt off pays off if you make good choices along the way.

paulchua and 7ven11ven like this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    so the old idea that Ferraris are chick magnets is true? :eek:

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    As with most lavish luxury lifestyle items, it is to an extent imvho, the problem is what kind of “chick” you’ll be appealing to. Gold diggers?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    great story and even great outcome
    as a minority
    I know exactly what you are talking about
    take care
    all the best

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great story! Keep it up!

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Let me put it this way, I’ve never seen it hurt. Nuno is correct as well, many ‘ladies of opportunity’ will unabashedly be drawn.

11. curvesurfer

curvesurfer Karting

Feb 26, 2018
    Redwood City, CA
    Eh, most women couldn't care less about cars or motorcycles, and those that do are interested in the machine not the owner. They attract far more men (and boys) than women.

Get a puppy if you want to get female attention. I meet more women walking our corgi pup in an hour downtown than I did in a month of college. And dog ownership says more about your values/interests than a car. ;)

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    ^^^^^^^^^

paulchua likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I keep coming back to this thread and the same answer pops up over and over again in my head: it’s the people you meet.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 and Nospinzone like this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    St Barths is much better !

paulchua likes this.
  15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've found a very interesting upside to owning a Ferrari. I've had a bunch of groovy cars over the years and have delved deeply into the maintenance and repair of some of them. Usually, my interest ended at finding the problem and throwing the appropriate new parts at it to fix it.

With my Ferrari 360, I've developed a new interest: Trying to avoid the Ferrari tax. It's kind of an interesting game with considerable rewards. I found a great deal on coil packs and saved hundreds of dollars over just buying them from the usual places. I've spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time figuring out how to avoid paying $3500 for two new throttle bodies and in the process discovered a heck of a lot about the entire drive-by-wire systems in many cars. I am on the cusp of qualifying parts to rebuild an original throttle body for about $175 each. That's 1/10th the cost of a new unit. Classic case of avoiding the Ferrari tax.

So to sum it up, my unusual upside is a deeper understanding into the finer points of the car and playing a complex and rewarding game of tax avoidance.

My breadboard Throttle Body Health Check system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(What's not shown is the complex software I've written to perform numerous tests on the TB.)

16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    As the Beach Boys sang: "Fun, fun, fun!" And great people, of course!

paulchua likes this.
  17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Well having worked on numerous Ferrari’s over the years
    Yes you can avoid the so called tax as you say
    But how much is your time worth?
    That’s what it comes down too
    And what’s the mean time between failure of that part?
    That’s also a major consideration
    Good luck with your project

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What your time is worth is more a consideration when you're quoting a job.

Not so much when it's something you have a personal interest in. The gratification is greater than the amount of money saved. (or not)

Steen Jensen and EastMemphis like this.
  19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    100% agree ,Fchat and the cars themselves have been the conduit to some lifelong friendships..

F456M and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  20. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Thinner wallet so I sit better and most of my back pain is gone.

:)

Nospinzone likes this.
  21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Outside the GP Monaco is a seaside resort town... with lots of $$$$$ ..... but in the end Monaco on a windy December day is not much different that Cannes or Nice... its people going about their daily lives.... great weather, great food, and very pretty... but also hard to park, and overly crowded with tourists from April to September... I like Cannes for the beaches and easier living. although Fonteville is cool - if I were younger and single....

22. Nafiz Ali Khan

Nafiz Ali Khan Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Phoenix
    Definitely noticed more random girls parking near my car or “losing” something near it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Upside ? Certainly. For me it is now never having to pick up the check among a group of friends at lunch. A year or so after I got my Ferrari a group of us were having lunch. When the check came, a couple of my buddies pushed it across the table to me saying, "You get this one. You drove here in a Ferrari !" I pushed it back to them noting, "I own a Ferrari. I have tangible proof that I have NO money, have already spent it all, and will never have any spare money."

Nafiz Ali Khan likes this.
  24. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Driving 340 km/h but not rushing.

F456M likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo