nys dmv help | FerrariChat

nys dmv help

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 95spiderman, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Im planning on buying a used car from an individual in Wisconsin who will ship it to me. I have a current car I will be selling and want to transfer its plates and registration to the car coming from out of state. How do I do that? I will have the title along w the car. Cant find relevant info on website and no one picks up phone. Seems like something can do online esp w quarantine regs. Thanks

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    How to transfer my vehicle plates and registration to another vehicle
    How do I transfer my vehicle plates and registration from one vehicle to another vehicle?

You can transfer vehicle plates and the registration that are in your name to another vehicle to be registered or renewed in your name.

Remember that:

• If you buy a vehicle from a New York State automobile dealer, tell the dealer to transfer your vehicle plates and your registration.
    • When you transfer the registration, the expiration date of the registration does not change.
    • If you will not continue to use the registration, but you will transfer the registration at a later date, surrender the vehicle plates to the DMV. Request a transfer receipt, not a refund receipt. When you are ready to register the other vehicle, use the receipt to do the transfer and receive new vehicle plates.
    The DMV web site has instructions to transfer vehicle ownership.

https://nysdmv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/72/~/how-to-transfer-my-vehicle-plates-and-registration-to-another-vehicle

95spiderman likes this.
  3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    got thru to them on phone.-

gather this info along w cc # for taxes/fees and place in secure dropbox at dmv

complete 2 forms - mv82 and dtf802
    registration of old car
    insurance card of new car
    copy drivers license

take about a week. :rolleyes:
    wish me luck.

5. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    it actually does take about a week...had to go through this twice during the pandemic,
    in the White Plains DMV there is a drop box. there is someone who answers your questions outside the office. there are people in the office but it is not open to the public yet. they process everything there right away...I have the new Excelsior plates....they are too small...LOL
    the holes don't line up on either of my cars....LOL..bit of oversight on King Cuomo....

6. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Is it true that you don’t have to register car for 180 days from insurance start date? Read it on the register new vehicle page of dmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    is that due to corona or all the time?

8. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I'm having the same issue with dmv right now. How can I transfer vanity plates between 2 of my own vehicle? I did see on dmv site shows I need to fill out two MV-82 form for both of my vehicle, but how does DMV know which plate I want to transfer to which car?

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Call them. Surprisingly easy to get thru and helpful

10. Cort Moritz

Cort Moritz Rookie

Jul 7, 2020
    NEW YORK
    Full Name:
    Cort Moritz