BBS WHEELS FOR 360 | FerrariChat

BBS WHEELS FOR 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by JOEL D., Mar 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    I see several Challenge - looking type wheels on the bbs website in 18 inch. My question is what are the standard wheel sizes on an 2002 360 coupe, and can I use any BBS wheels shown and just change the center caps? Thanks for any help.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#2 Ricambi America, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Joe - There are three different Ferrari center cap sizes. We get asked this question all the time, so I snapped some pictures a few weeks ago.

Check out the pictures below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Al Casteen and freshmeat like this.
  3. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Wow! never aware of this variety sizes of caps.

Cheers,

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Not quite sure what 'street legal' would constitute. Will they work on US streets? Absolutely! Will they look very sexy? Absolutely! Would anyone give you trouble for having them on the car? No.

"legal" or not, they are about 1000% times better quality than the junk wheels we often see on eBay. Frans' are the real deal. :)

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Although there are many 360 owners running these wheels, the OEM 18" 360 Challenge race wheels manufactured by BBS are not recommended for street use due to their soft composition.

Stock BBS wheels as seen on their website will not fit on your 360. Only BBS 'OEM' wheels such as the 19" Challenge 'style' wheel as equipped on the CS, (Challenge Stradale) and optional on the F430 or the stock F430 wheel. Also, after-market wheel manufactures such as HRE offer several models to fit the 360.

6. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    The caps from your "5 spoke" wheels will not fit the 18" challenge wheels.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Correct. The one in the middle (on my images) is required.

8. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    How did I know you knew that. :D

9. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had a '02 360 with 18" BBS wheels and Ferrari center caps, no problems. :)

10. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    When you get new tires, be sure to get rears that are about an inch or 2cm wider than for the standard 360 wheel, since the challenge wheels are a little wider in the rear. But I love my 18 inch challenge wheels on my 360.

11. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I was advised to go with 235 40 18 front and 295 35 18 rears.

12. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #12 Modenafan, Mar 13, 2008
    brookliner7 and tonyc like this.
  13. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
    #13 MrRdStr, Mar 13, 2008
    tonyc likes this.
  14. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I recently picked up a set of the Challenge wheels for my 360 and wanted to share i found a source for aftermarket caps.
    Most all suppliers are out of the caps right now (all that have them at a remotely reasonable price are, for sure), and they are NLA from Ferrari.

As above from our friends at Ricambi, the correct fitment is 56mm OD / 52mm ID.

After some research I ordered several sets online and will update with fitment as I receive them.

First to arrive: RhinoTuning set of 56mm OD / 52mm ID sourced from Amazon for $17.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SR3Q9J/
    i believe they are these on their own website, but their website isn't super great so can't confirm.

Note per the back they're marked 1 JO 601171 and "Made in Germany". For the record that looks to be a VW part number.

They fit super snug (had difficulty getting them in at first) but they do definitely fit and fit well. The sticker area is 48mm and are slightly domed - but only slightly - so might be difficult to successfully put a sticker on, we'll see. Wheel cap stickers are on order and will update with more detail when they arrive.

IMG_0377 by performify, on Flickr

IMG_0378 by performify, on Flickr

IMG_0379 by performify, on Flickr

IMG_0380 by performify, on Flickr

kes7u likes this.
  15. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    still waiting on the stickers to show, but have an additional set of blank center caps that look pretty good to try when they arrive (they're flat face with a lip around the edge).

Until then, option #3 arrived and is on the car now. Found a seller with "replica" BBS 56mm / 52mm center caps on Amazon.

They finally arrived and they look ok and fit ok. Slightly loose, as some others mentioned on the amazon reviews, so I added a layer of Gorilla Tape around the outside of the clips and they fit pretty snugly now.

Here's how they look:

IMG_0798 by performify, on Flickr

installed with the tape:
    IMG_0801 by performify, on Flickr

up close:
    IMG_0800 by performify, on Flickr

whole wheel:
    IMG_0814 by performify, on Flickr

pics of the full car for perspective in the "recent pics" thread if anyone wants more.

16. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    This statement is often repeated and not true.

They are NOT constructed from "SOFTER" aluminum.

They are constructed with a minimal amount of material for weight savings. They are just not as "robust" as street certified wheels by BBS

There is less concern with potholes & curbs at race tracks, while street use may exhibit numerous impacts that can bend or deform the wheel.

one4torque likes this.
  17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Unless maybe you’re riding the curbs at the Red Bull Ring.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I need center caps for my OE BBS wheels as well. How did the stickers work out on the replica blank caps?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    i definitely owe an update. I have received all the stickers and all the blank caps (including an option not listed above), but i haven't done anything with them, because i've just been rocking the BBS caps shown above.

i'll get the stickers mounted up and tried on the wheels in the next week or two (car's currently at Blackhorse getting a full workover but i need to visit to drop some stuff off sooner than later, so if nothing else i'll pick up a wheel to test fit caps on).

20. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    Looked into this allot when I bought my 360. I ended up buying F430 19'' CS rims that bolt straight on. Not cheap but look fantastic and that little bit extra size fills up the wheel arches just that bit nicer!

My understanding is that they are made of an aluminium alloy that is higher in Magnesium than street legal wheels which made them lighter for racing. Although not softer they are more brittle (ie diamonds) and if you hit the curb or a pothole with decent force they are more likely to shatter as opposed to bend.

Its the old 'won't happen to me' argument however I would not want to be the one argueing with the insurance company after a shattered wheel caused an accident.

They are illegal in Oz !

BTW - I highly recommend the titanium bolt set they look great

Attached Files:

Performify and kes7u like this.
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    SkidKid owned my 360 for many years, and invested around $10K for these wheels and titanium bolts. I don’t know my wheels, but they appear to be the type you guys are referencing.

22. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    In Oz you can expect to pay around the $AUD 8 to 10k Mark for a set of these F430 rims (ex tyres) with the titanium bolt set which is worth Around $AUD 1,500 in itself.