Exhaust questions... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust questions...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by roger21, Oct 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hi!

I think you are right Raphael the more I take advices the more I feel like I am a bit enthusiastic about what I am able to do on the chassis. I’ll know more as soon as I’ll be under the car and see how it looks like.

My mechanic told me he can find the insulation plates if we need them and as you all told me, many suppliers are available for the insulation blanket.

sadly it looks like I’ll still have to wait before I see the car on a lift as the workshop is busy busy busy...

well at least I have seen the exhaust and I and most importantly my mechanic are very happy with the product. Looks really nice and well built.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

No interest at all in it but want to say that https://www.classiche09.com/ made me a really fair price!
    Might be worth giving them a call if you are looking for something that looks like OEM.

will let you know if it fits correctly ASAP!

2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    That looks good and is fairly priced. I hope it sounds the part.

I replaced my entire exhaust system a couple of years ago and opted for a stainless steel system from P.D.Gough, here in the UK. It's a copy of the original ANSA system, though the mechanic reported that the fitment was more fiddly then he expected, with a fair degree of "manipulation" required!

Approximate costs were (inc VAT):

Manifolds - GBP 1900
    Centre section and balance pipe - GBP 1200
    Rear sections - GBP 1450
    New hangers, clamps and gaskets - GBP 450
    ANSA stickers - GBP 30
    Labour - GBP 500

TOTAL = GBP 5530.

Just adding this to the thread in case its useful for readers of it in the near future.

Schumi, Ak Jim and roger21 like this.
  3. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
  4. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo

5. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I have a NOS complete exhaust system for my 78 400. The paint has flaked off and will be repainted. Do you know the original paint used for the exhaust?I was thinking of having it ceramic coated but need the correct color. I noticed my three mufflers are one color and the ANSA exhaust piece is crinkle finished in Black. Is this how the original exhaust was painted?

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's definitively not ceramic paint, although departing from the stock configuration could make sense for the exhaust manifolds.

You will have to remove the prior coat of paint as I suspect the flaky effect was due to superimposing layers of different types of paint. If the exhausts are still thick, I would try a professional service (electrolysis?), and would let them take care of the manifolds coating (galvanization, ceramic or whatever they are endorsing).

For the visible part of the exhausts I do prefer satin over flat paint as it doesn't retain as much stains or crude. If the striping process has left the surface uneven, flat would be more appropriate. I would avoid modern coating.

Do not forget the ANSA stickers!

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Curious about this: did the 412 originally come with these stickers?

Does anyone have recommendations as to where to get these? (Eurospares, Ricambi, Ferrparts don’t seem to carry them... I found some on eBay but not sure if they’re correct). Also, it seems like there are 2 types “Ansa Marmite” and “Ansa Sport”. Which is correct for our cars?

Ruben

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Superformance does carry those stickers.

Not sure there are some on the 412 as they would be hidden by the additional body panel (412 specific).

This being said the tail of the exhaust is the same between 400 & 412 (365?), it's the middle section that is different. My car was treated with new exhausts in the mid 90s: no Stickers.

I've Finally switched to stainless and will not look back!

Il Tifoso likes this.