Wheel Refinishers | FerrariChat

Wheel Refinishers

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Rojo, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Any recommendations for wheel refinishers in the Minneapolis area?

Cheers

stever likes this.
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I could use one myself.....

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    ferrari wheels? Why not DIY?

Attached Files:

4. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very nice!!!!

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    your prolfie says 355. With the magnesium in those wheels its becomes more problematic to DIY and for a shop to do it right if they go down to bare metal. A buddy had some old 240 Z wheels done at a place called A1 wheels. I haven't seen the finished product but he was happy.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've done a couple sets of 360 starfish, the mondial wheels pictured and will do my incoming 348 wheels shorlty in my shop as well as many steel sets for old muscle cars. I have a local guy media blast them, then use a Chromax base/clear process and POR-15 2K urethane the interior (non-porous paint).

7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I've got just one wheel that needs work, so it's worthwhile to get someone to do it for me. Too much setup, learning curve, stuff I'll never use again.

8. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am currently using Twin City Wheel and Tire in Hugo MN.

I expect them to be ready this coming Tuesday so I will find out.

I have abandoned paint and switched to powder coating.

They can paint if you must be con cours accurate but it is more expensive

JohnnyRay likes this.
  9. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    Update on Twin City Wheel and tire in Hugo MN.

Mark started out with a strip and a powder coat, however he was not happy with the finished look.

So he ended up priming the powder coated wheels and then painting them the factory color. They look great.

Now I have paint over a protective powder coat.

He said he would probably not take on this type of Ferrari wheel again, however.

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Same kind of thing happened with my powder coat guy up here in duluth on a set of starfish. He blasted them, then coated and they came out very rough. Not nearly as smooth as the factory finish. He switched powder and redid them. They came out smoother with the different powder but still had a textured look. It was pretty minimal and fairly uniform in appearance so I just chose to keep them that way. I've had him do toyota aluminum wheels in the same process and they came out very smooth. There is obviously something to the "mix" of the ferrari wheels where they come out of blasting a little rougher or the powder does to flow as easily in the bake.

11. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    AutoTrimmers in Shoreview is a wrap/ppf shop but has a great tire guy who performed great work on mine... Justin is the owner they did my ppf and ceramic coat as well really happy with the work

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat