Let me be truly honest..... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Let me be truly honest.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    Sound is like icing on the cake. You need a cake start with. Cake is better with icing than without. It’s not an “either/or”, it’s an “and”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coincid likes this.
  2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    This Lambo sounds great in person

Fireman1291 likes this.
  3. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    My LP 640 had a Larini exhaust system. It was LOUD, mothers would pull their children close when I drove by. My wife would hear me about 5 minutes after I left the house with it. I think a couple of times I might have set off some car alarms in the city.. It was fun on the open road, but I always called it my 90 minute car. That's about all the longer I could take the noise. I've got a 488 now and love it. It sounds good when it should and can be nice and civilized the rest of the time.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Let’s all be honest and agree here, regardless of moniker, no forced-induction motor will sound like an NA motor.

Personally, the turbo whistles alone is a dealbreaker.

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Better get use to them or going to be stuck driving an outdated antique as NA going to go the way of the manual

Ash Patel likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Of course, because they are two different engines with 2 different sounds! Although the atmo engine holds the crown with the 9000 rpm wail, the turbo sound of 488 at 8000 rpm is still exceptional in it's own right and certainly makes up for the misgivings in the older chassis. I'm just so glad I can appreciate the sound of both the Ferrari turbo and the NA engine. I'm also glad I am able to appreciate the glorious sound of a Ferrari turbo engine and, the turbo whistle!

jim g, Ash Patel and freshmeat like this.
  7. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    My hearing must be getting bad, because I don't hear any whistle from the 488.. It's always in race mode and it's never been in automatic. and I really like the sound of it.

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t hear a whistle but I do hear a whooshing sound. From both the 488 and the Pista.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, either your hearing is going or or you’re not hitting boost to your local cars and coffee or Ferrari found a way to bend space and time...all forced induction will have a whistle.

10. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    Yeah I don’t hear the whistle sound either..frankly I sold my 458 bc it was getting slow for today’s sports cars..sound is cool if the car is hauling ass..but if it sounds good but way slower than a 488 I think that’s a issue...lots of cars have cool sounds but way too slow (f355,NA astons etc)...personally I think the 488 sounds damn good..Chris Harris went as far to say he thought it sounded better than a 458...
    **is that video stock 488?...if it’s tuned it will have a much more pronounced whistle as it’s maxing the turbos

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It’s much more pronounced outside the cabin than inside...no modifications needed, it’s just the nature of boost.

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Harris was smoking grass when he said 488 sounds better than 458. It's absolutely okay to say I don't care about sound or the importance of sound is blown out of proportion, or even 488 sounds great, but to say 488 sounds better than 458 is like Rosie Odonnel is hotter than Kate Upton.

x z8, buddyg, OSUferrari and 4 others like this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Have a listen to the next clip ..Aventador with twin turbos ! could live with that !

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Still hear a lot of whistling so...

Simple truth is as mentioned earlier; don’t expect an NA motor to sound like an FI motor and vice versa...very unrealistic expectations and objectively, most folks will be inclined to prefer the sound of NA and many folks, like myself, would be willing to compromise on sound for warp speed.

/truth

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 to me sounds good enough. Not as good as 458. 458 does sound better but the power difference makes me take a 488 over a 458 any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Mighty Joe, Minte, scott61 and 3 others like this.
  16. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I live in the country and have many opportunities to hit boost. It must be road and wind noise that covers any whistle sounds. Or my hearing really is on the decline.

I'm heading out in a few moments for a drive in it. I'll listen for it. I'm heading over to the WIsconsin River area for these roads.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is no question the 458 makes more noise - whether it means sounding better is debatable though.
    I don't really care for a V8 noise but for me occasionnally the 458 is just trying too hard to get noticed (which, combined with its - relatively - limited power and performance, does not impress me).

MANDALAY, Gh21631, ScrappyB and 5 others like this.
  18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I did a few hour drive yesterday and am very happy with the sound of the car, my last 4 cars were a RS4 with Tubi exhaust, R8V8 with a Stasis exhaust, R8V10 with Tubi rumore exhaust and Huracan with a Fabspeed exhaust. So yes sound is very important to me. I was unhappy with sound when I first got car because of valves constantly opening and closing so first thing I did was plug the lines to remain open and that changed everything. I also believe like most aftermarket exhausts it needs a couple thousand miles to break in baffles to get full sound. I bought the car with 245 miles and it now has 2,900 miles and sound is noticeably better. A lot about getting the best sound is how to drive it, I stay in low gears to get high RPM's. Car has some nice pops and burbles now, just the right amount I feel after driving my over the top Huracan that got annoying after some time with it. I do like the the sound of the 458 but no way I could live with a car that looks dated and lacking tech, the 488 is just so sexy looking. Now that I'm over my pissed off at Ferrari for service change i'm just enjoying the car and it really is a great car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mighty Joe, Dr. K, Minte and 2 others like this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    F40 is pretty slow by today’s standards and you can definitely hear the waste gates.... but....

Sent from my 16M

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    #95 someguy, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    If you go chasing speed it's never enough. A stock 720S will be faster than a modified 488 and the new LT will be even faster. Once the C8 ZR1 comes out the 488 will be completely obsolete in terms of performance. I get that after you experience the faster car you want it, but it boils down to the use you give to it and most people on normal twisty roads won't even be able to use the 458 to its full potential. If you're only doing highway pulls then I think it's not the right car either.

If you must have the newest, fastest, most technological V8 mid engined Ferrari at any point then I get it, but that could get expensive in the long run when changing out so often.

21. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree. Sound is such an overemphasized thing. Big friggin deal. By the way that "sound" you think everyone loves? 90% of the world thinks your an ass hole when you rev your motor to "show it off". Sold my Performante Spyder because it was annoying. Loud ass cars are soooo juvenile to me. But that's just me.

As to what I look for in a car?

Performance
    LOOKS
    Handling
    Pedigree
    sound

22. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    #97 Minte, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    No one called me an ***** because of the LP640's roar, but a lot of people..(meaning damn near everyone) always commented "That car, sure is loud".. Our local Cars & Coffees still uses my car as the main picture on their facebook page and in that picture you can almost see pain on the faces of people as I drove by.

Went on my spirited drive this morning with the 488. I definitely hit the boost. Burned through nearly 1/2 tank of fuel in 60 miles. Windows open and I did not hear a whistle. What I heard was a great sounding engine working hard.

[​IMG]

Mighty Joe, dmark1 and scott61 like this.
  23. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    1/2 a tank for 60 miles? you were definitely driving in low gear high RPM's :). Do you get burbles and some pops when down shifting and letting up on gas?

24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    First of all let me say I respectfully disagree but, like Voltaire said, I’ll always defend your right to say your peace until I die.

Second of all, being proven right or wrong doesn’t make me poorer or richer, and I take much more pleasure in a good, enlightening debate where ideas are put in conflict, than being proven right, or wrong.

But if one takes into account the market alone, sound doesn’t matter, the last NA engine thing doesn’t matter, until it does;

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-slowest-depreciating-car.550027/

It still depreciates, because it’s not a metaphysical thing, it’s a car in the end. But the fact it does so slower, means the market speaks, and although we may disagree with it, it does value the very things that members don’t about the 458. It is what it is.

If it’s not important and if you don’t like it, by all means don’t but it. But it does matter to an extent, otherwise the 458’s market wouldn’t be what it is, namely outside the US: quite steady, strong, with demand being superior to supply in a lot of markets worldwide and the value of the car already reaching a plateau in less than 4 or 5 years after being out of production. Unheard of. Nothing happens by chance on a free market.

It’s a bit like the blondes versus brunettes debate: just because you may prefer one or the other, if you like women you can’t overlook the other.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The 488 is a good sounding car.

Mighty Joe, gmo28 and scott61 like this.