456 stereo upgrade | FerrariChat

456 stereo upgrade

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mibi, Sep 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Instructions for running cable from console to the trunk in a 1995 Ferrari 456, to allow a detachable face plate in the console and head unit in the trunk. Sme has been discussed before, but I just did much of this work so I thought I'd memorialize it by putting it in Fchat. Pics are here: http://ferrari456stereoupgrade.shutterfly.com/pictures

1. Turn off power at cutoff
    2. Remove head unit and HVAC panel (it pops out)
    3. Unscrew 2 hex screws under the rear seat cushion
    4. Remove seat cushion
    5. Unscrew 3 trim screws holding carpet to floor and peel back carpet
    6. Remove 4 screws holding down speaker under seat.
    7. Remove screws holding down back seat cushion and remove back .
    8. Remove several screws holding the rear side panel in place and slide forward. There are a few retention clips on the backside that attach to the car so slide the panel forward to release. Do not try to pull the panel off without moving it forward first.
    9. In the trunk, remove the 2 carpeted covers over the stereo equipment by removing the trim screws. Then remove the rear carpeted panel covering the back behind the gas tank by removing 3 screws near the top.
    10. Now you have access from the console directly to the trunk. There are a few grommets where the OEM wiring passes to enter the trunk. You have to loosen some foam sound deadener by the rear quarter panel and you can see the grommets.
    11. I used a hangar to fish cable from the radio head unit area thru the rear of the console. I ran two 13 foot cat 5 wires. Between those 2 cables, and the existing SONY cable, there is plenty of wire communicating btw the console and the trunk.
    12. I ran the new cables where the OEM loom channel is, and secured with some tape. Then I passed them thru the grommet and into the trunk. I also ran some extra wire from trunk into the passenger compartment and left it under the rear seat ( just in case in the future I need it, I wont have to remove anything but the rear seat cushion, and ‘ll have a bunch of cable available with easy access.
    13. You can now use a new style alpine or sony ( or most any manufacturer with a removable face plate) in the console area and put the head unit in the trunk
    14. Have your local electronics shop solder wires to the pins of the detachable face plate, and matching ones to the head unit. You can either leave them terminated as plain wires and make the connection manually, or have the shop terminate them with a RG 45 connnector. Do the same in the trunk to the head unit.Then ,all you need to do is attach the connectors using a RJ 45 female coupler and you are set. Do the same thing in the trunk
    15. The OEM wiring in the trunk includes all 4 channels of speakers, grounds, hot power, and switched power. Plenty to power up a head unit or a had unit and an amp if you want. It takes a little work to decide which wire does what, but with an ohm meter and continuity tester its pretty easy. I actually used a tried and true technique of cutting individual wires to determine which speaker they supplied, and then labelled each.
    16. The OEM system doesn’t use separate crossovers. Instead, the loom sends another set of wires to the high and mid speakers in the dash and read shelf. These speakers had built in resistors that act as a high pass filter.
    17. I replaced my door and under seat speakers but retained the high/mids. Though the rears were about 5”, you can get a 6” speaker in there without a problem and gain another 10Hz low frequency. Front door are 4x6 if you put them in the factory location. In honesty, I may replace them in the future with larger surface mounted ones for even better base response.

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, could you provide some pictures of the radio that you used?

I still did not understand how you connected the removeable face to the head unit, where are the RJ45 connectors supposed to go into the headunit?

Thanks again for the great write-up!

3. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 mibi, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    basically, imagine the cut end of 2 or 3 cat 5 cables soldered to the pins on the back of the faceplate. Then, imagine 2 or 3 cat 5 cables soldered to the pins on the head unit. Each cable is 12 " in length. Now, all you need to to is run 2 or 3 ( the number of cables depends on the number of pins on your particular unit- if more than 16, you will need more than 2 cables) cat 5 cables as shown on first email from console to the trunk, and plug corresponding cables together. I wrote this up to have it permanently recorded but ultimately I found my main issue was bad speakers and a bad front speaker amp on the head unit. So I replaced the 2Ch amp with a 4CH amp, and ran new rca cables from the line level output of the head unit to the new 4CH amp, and ran the factory OEM speaker wires into the new amp. With the new speakers and high power amp, It works better than factory, but looks 100% original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    Hi,
    Good write-up.

I have a 94 456 and I am thinking of upgrading/replacing the speakers and amp. Can you let me know what make of amp and speakers you used, especially the front speakers as they seem to be quite small and not very good!! Did you use dual cone speakers?
    Ta

5. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    JL audio 400/4 amp. Easy install. Fits perfctly. JL audio 6 inch coax. U can buy separates and use crossover but more costly and more wiring. Im happy with result. Website has some pics.

6. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry 6 inch round fir rear. 4x6 sony for front will mount to existing oem studs.

7. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, got it. Could you post a picture of the faceplate and head unitpin to RJ45 soldering?

Thanks

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    do you know what receiver units can be adapted to the big 16 pin cable that the car originally comes with? Sony?

Thanks

9. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Is it possible to source a new, direct replacement unit, so as to avoid all the extra work?

10. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    1) no replacements available that I know of. dig around - maybe there's a wrecked car with one to source.
    2) The cable in the car only has 13 pins. NOT enough for any of the removable face plate radios I researched. all had 16-20 contacts. I dont have any pics of soldered wire sorry.

11. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I know this is an ancient thread, but has anyone had any experience with the longevity of making this adaptation? I am finalizing the purchase of a 1995 456, and I know the stereo needs work... so this was my vision to accomplish..... thanks in advance.

12. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    if i am not mistaken there is now a unit commercially available that is not that deep... maybe it would fit in the space.
    If I still had my 456 i would probably just run a remote unit and leave stock in place for looks.

13. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    This is what I do in my 550. Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver, optical cable to DSP in the trunk.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    just replaced my stereo. (kept the old one) - at least for me it was plenty of space (but I have the M) - not sure if the 95's have less space.

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They do. The 456 has a really flat head unit that integrates quite differently than the Ms. At least that is my impression.

paulchua likes this.
  16. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Yes. The 456GT/A is a different center console configuration that incorporates a remote "face plate" unit that is wired to the radio head unit that is in the trunk.

paulchua likes this.
  17. Jaredsalinsky

Jaredsalinsky Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    Hey man. I realize pretty old thread. What DSP did you use in trunk? Thanks