Oil leak - quote seems a little excessive | FerrariChat

Oil leak - quote seems a little excessive

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by akagino, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akagino

akagino Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Hey guys, I own a ferrari california 2010, and recently spotted some oil drops on my garage floor. Brought it in for its yearly oil change, and to check that leak out. They told me to reseal it (fix oil pan and replace both oil gaskets), it would be a 45 hour job + the parts. Considering they charge 200$/hour CAD here, 10K + tax in man hours only to fix an oil leak seems insane. What do you guys think? Any similar experiences? Thanks! Gino

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I think you need to find a very reputable independent local Ferrari mechanic that can do that job for about half price.

458guy2012 and ditpixs like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Where are you located?

Im here in Seattle, Washington and we have two great independent local Ferrari mechanics.

One of them placed 2nd when Ferrari corporate held a Ferrari Technician world competition 4 years ago when he used to work for a local dealer.
    He now owns his own shop.

458guy2012 and steves550 like this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I think a little more information is needed. "Repair" oil pan indicates that it has damage. What is the damage? Why is it damaged? "Replace both oil gaskets", which oil gasket is this? If they are referring to the crank seals which are referred to as "oil gaskets" in the parts diagram, then 45 hours may be on target. If they are referring to the front of engine case gasket, then again, not a bad quote to dismantle the entire front of the engine.
    I am not saying you are getting the most of your service dollar, but given the broad stroke of the description, it may not be a bad quote.
    Maybe a breakdown of the parts they are using will help understand what they are doing for that much time & money.
    Just my thoughts.

tazz99, tbakowsky, Mimmo Blue and 2 others like this.
  6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Brake cleaner is cheap as well.

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    MerlinTech is right, you should gather more facts.

I had an oil leak on my 360, which I was pretty sure was the rear main seal. I have done my own before, but was hesitant so I took it to Cauley in the Detroit area. They did a fantatic job for less than what independents were quoting (as I had read on various threads).

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You can buy a lot of oil for $10K.

9. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Is the new part any better than the old one? Pay 10k and have a leak again in 2030 or sooner?

10. akagino

akagino Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gino
    So basically here is the actual text from Ferrari:

"Removed under panel, checked for leak. Front cover leaking near power steering pump, valve covers leaking as well. Made estimate for reseal".
    I never got the exact detailed estimate, but the guy told me around 45h of work as 200$/h + 15% tax. What I remember is he needs to reseal both gaskets and fix leak.

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Nobody is going to suggest:

Remove under panel. Torque any relevant fasteners on any covers near offending "leak/drip" to specified value. Replace under panel. Monitor for any continued leakage.

Sure as heck worked for me, more than once, but has mostly been on P-cars, never a Ferrari. :(

12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Well there's an old saying it is what it is if that's the book time for that job then that's what it is. My wife's BMW developed a valve cover gasket leak and the dealer quoted me $1,200 for the job. 800 for an independent. The valve cover gasket was $55 for genuine BMW. I did it myself but let me tell you it was not easy it took two days 5 hours each day slumped over in a hot garage but I did it for 55 bucks. Some repair jobs on cars are just simply cost-prohibitive I'm imagining they probably have to drop some sort of subframe to get to yours and that's why it cost so much. The only oter other option is to just live with it. On my wife's car factory warranty had just run out a month previous otherwise it would have been covered. On a positive note if you'd like to turn a wrench it's very gratifying to save money working on these cars I do all my maintenance on my 348

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can't re-torque silicone..

2NA likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hah, that is absolutely hilarious. Not to mention that compared to a Ferrari, an old Porsche 911 have about 6 times more interfaces and fasteners from which to leak. Plus the Magnesium case on very old Porsches just hate to keep oil in.

To the original poster, a wise mechanic once told me "nobody ever promised that owning a Ferrari was going to be cheap."

tbakowsky likes this.
  15. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It looks like it is the valve covers that are seeping some oil. Not uncommon. Lack of use seems to contribute to these leaks. I'd clean the engine, drive the car and check again in a few weeks. Changing the valve cover gaskets is not difficult but a bit time consuming.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    And y
    And you know this by personally inspecting the car I suppose..

nart likes this.
  17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    So, if you find a couple bolts, nuts, or studs that have gone "finger tight," you can't tighten them to an APPROPRIATE torque, and have some hope of leaks stopping?

18. 458guy2012

458guy2012 Rookie

May 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Collin
    I am in Seattle and was just informed of a oil leak in my 458. Can you tell me who I should call here in the area to fix it?

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I highly recommend Mr. Mark Glenwood of 7 Lakes Auto Repair.

He is located in Arlington, Wa up north. Worth the drive as he does an excellent job for a fair price.

Tell him Dan Loyola sent you and I assure you he will take very good care of you, and you will have a very pleasant experience working with him.

Ferrari mechanic: Mark Glenwood 360-941-6527.

20. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    No, it may reduce it, but once it has breached the sealing of gasket or silicone, retorque won't stop it.

2NA and tazz99 like this.
  21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Take the money you saved and get a mini split for your garage! Next time you do the work you can do it in comfort. And yes a mini split will run more than $1200 but that’s a really good down payment for one.