Anyone familiar with CA Historic Plate registration process? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone familiar with CA Historic Plate registration process?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by SaratogaCA, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IMAGINETHAT

IMAGINETHAT Rookie

Mar 18, 2015
    Palm Desert, CA
    Full Name:
    Len
    My primary concern is smogging every 2 years. Saving a few bucks is nice but not my main concern.

Anybody else have input on the smog aspect ? Never again or every 2 years with no benefit ?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Every two years smog is required, and restricted use of the car.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You have to renew registeration your car EVERY year regardless of whether or not it has historic plates. I have 2 classics with historic plates (a 1955 MB and a 1957 BMW) and 2 with regular plates (because I want to drive them anytime). For the vehicles with historic plates, its $101/yr to renew; $89 is the reg fee, $2 is the VLF and at least I have $10 County/District fee. I have the renewals for all of these which are due in Aug.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Here in CA, in process of historic plates for 1992 car, still had to smog.
    To be smog exempt, was told has to be over 30 years old ....

Sent from my 16M

ShineKen likes this.
  5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Specific smog exemptions from CA DMV site...

Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your:
    • Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older (This includes motorcycles and trailers.)
    • Diesel-powered vehicle is a 1997 and older year model OR with a Gross Vehicle Weight of more than 14,000 pounds.
    • Powered by natural gas and weighs more than 14,000 pounds.
    • An electric vehicle.
    • Gasoline-powered and less than four model years old.

ShineKen likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    over 25 years old ...

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Your response directly contradicts what the DMV site says, as indicated in my last post

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Unless they changed it in the last 3 months, I just applied for one. Here is the California vehicle code section (the Law)

ARTICLE 8. Special Plates [5000 - 5024]
    ( Article 8 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Horseless Carriage No. 1”.

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Historical Vehicle No. 1”.

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Your last post is regarding what qualifies for historic plates.

My post about pre-1975 cars was only regarding what is exempt from having a smog test per the DMV.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Not true either. My 1989 just had to go through smog testing this year, even though it has a Historical License Plate. That loop hole was closed a few years ago.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    What am I missing here? DMV site says vehicles prior to 1975 are exempt from smog test...therefore anything after that, including your 1989, require a smog test. The historic plates have nothing to do with smog/no smog requirement. It's all about the model year.

Note that my experience with historic plates is over the last 4yrs, and both my historic plate cars are pre-1975.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m not sure why they told me this ....they still made me smog it ....

Sent from my 16M

13. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    My understanding is that many guys with cars beyond 1975 were getting the Historic Plates thinking that it excluded them from the smog requirements. Turns out our great electronic DMV system was not requiring them to smog their post 75 cars to renew the registration if you paid it online. However I heard that you would get the smog requirement slapped on you if you physically went in to pay your registration. Ca Dmv has finally caught up with them and now no new tags without going to smog your car if it is 1976 and newer. The Governator changed the laws back when he was in office which had a rolling 30 years requirement for smog. It was changed to 1975 as the cutoff. Lots of California FChatters are going back to their old plates free of the historic plates restrictions.

I never did it because I wanted to keep my California Sunset Plates which are rare. My cars passes smog no problem anyway.

ShineKen likes this.
  14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I think the main reason people go the historic plates approach is because it saves a bundle in reg fees. I know it saves me multiple thousands every year for my BMW, which happens to meet all of the historic plates criteria, including minimal usage.

plastique999 likes this.
  15. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    1975 & older -> No SMOG test
    1976 & newer -> Must get SMOG test
    I've seen the 25 year age proposed many times but never seemed to catch on.

Biggest gripe is the car sits under a car cover most of its life. When a SMOG is due, it gets driven just for the test. Now with Covid-19 numbers going way up, driving is further reduced, and taking the car in for a SMOG (which is a very social event as SMOG tech has been in a dozen other vehicles right before hopping into your car), it's a more begrudging task.

It would be nice especially during these times if the test could be performed like other states do with a drive through approach. Safer for everyone.

16. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    A rural county, such as Plumas County, only requires smog check on title change / sale. No Bi-annual smog checks required!

2dinos likes this.
  17. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    That's awesome! If you live in city areas, CA invokes the "Enhanced" treatment.

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    On a side note, REALLY a sideway step, but on registration.... I have an awkward possibility.

And before I get slammed just hear me out. I'm 100% VA disabled, but, YA!!! own a Ferrari [599 HGTE]. I am 'entitled' to one vehicle, DAV registered that negates the registration fee. I'm leaning towards the 599 as registration is about $1,500/year.

Thoughts? And feel free to slam if wanted. May post this in the SoCal area too.
    rik

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    What's a "DAV"?

20. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #70 BLACK HORSE, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    I think he's meant to say "DMV" :)

I too have historic plates on my QV but now just in the last few years DMV wants a smog test which in the past they made the smog requirement exempt which is the reason I got the special plate... There's no benefits of having them anymore!

21. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Hey, you are entitled to one vehicle. It doesn’t specify which vehicle you should chose. I was in the same situation and chose my 328, for one I had to get it registered in CA after my final stint at FBNC. BTW, the CA DMV gave me a DP plate and some time thereafter they sent me a DV plate. You will also get a blue placard at the DMV but ask for them.

Thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    thanks

figured that YES, I am entitled and why not this.... I don't live forever

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    DAV = Disabled American Veteran [my term]. But I missed the correct term: DV = Disabled Veteran. One must be 100% disabled to qualify.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  24. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You couldn't be more wrong, If I didn't have historic plates on my BMW, my annual reg fees would be $4k+ vs $92. I call that a huge benefit.

25. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #75 BLACK HORSE, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    $4K !!! ... Honestly I've never heard someone paying that kinda of money for annual registration fees... wow! I got the plates to be exempt from smog. Yeah no argument about paying DMV a much lower annual fee, but I had my 308 for almost 18 years and my highest annual fee was about $250 for a FERRARI!