"Hyper-Flow" Catalytic Converter? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Hyper-Flow" Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Mar 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I have had my Hyper-Flow on my 328 for a month now. Better quality than the stock one and lighter. The sound is slightly louder and deeper with the stock exhaust.

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've been waiting for more than 2 weeks for the Max-Flow for my 308QV to arrive. And now I can't get anyone there to answer the phone. Sports Car Converters (www.sportscarconverters.com) is apparently the same as Caribou Engineering (www.caribou.cc). Dunno, maybe it's a one-man show and Ed is travelling or something. I did pay it by credit card (which they charged right away) so I'm protected in case they flake out completely.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike, I will be very interested in your observations. I recently built a set of high performance converters for my 348 spider using Random Technology 7000 units, the same technology as Hyper Flow I am told. These are the true Metal Matrix highest performance design Random technologies 7000 series. I believe the Max Flow converters are similar to the Random Technologies 8100 series of ceramic based high flow converters. Random technologies states the 7000 series flows higher than the 8100 series converters. I do not know the flow differential.
    From the Sports Car Converters site: “Max-Flow Converters use a high flow monolithic honeycomb catalyst with ceramic internals designed for maximum flow and surface area. The coating method of the honeycomb is controlled to maintain exact specifications to minimize flow restrictions.”
    The photos on the Random technologies site and Sports Car Converters site look virtually the same for their respective ceramic based units.
    Interested in your opinion and observations regarding the converters from Sports Car Converters.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Very good information!! I am cancelling the MaxFlow order. I didn't realize the metal matrix versus ceramic matrix difference. I just got off the phone with RandomTech and yes, HyperFlow uses all metal. There *IS* a substantial flow differential: the 3" in/out ceramic flows 426 cfm and the 3" in/out metal flows 598 cfm -- a 40% increase!!!

But BOY, does HyperFlow put a major premium on the units. The "universal" for my car (though of course it doesn't have the bungs/fittings for the O2 sensor and thermocouple) is only $239.82 direct from RandomTech -- the HyperFlow version is $769 retail, and still $725 when discounted by our friends at Ricambi.

So... the bottom line: The Max-Flow is a major improvement over stock units at a substantially lower price. The RandomTech/HyperFlow units are the "ultimate" in performance without going to a test pipe.

5. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Well Kevin you convinced me. I just ordered my hyper-flow cats for my 348 from Troy. It's hard not to go for it especially when it was my car with the tubi and the stock cats that was sitting next to your 348. I love the video clip!! After I heard and saw that I was sold. One of these days when we compare cars they should be similar. Except for the fact I think mine may way an upgraded computer chip?

Brent

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'll never forget that sound of your 328 when you came over last time....

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good call mate - I keep watching that 13 seconds over and over!!! I haven't heard your car at speed but mine was definitely throatier than yours at idle. Rick did say he had your car chipped so it will be interesting to compare them since my car is a late car which is supposed to have a few hp on the early cars in stock form.

Glad you enjoyed the video. I just think its great that my car makes that kind of noise and is still smog-legal!!

Cheers
    Kevin

8. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.

It is a one man shop. I've ordered a couple things from there. One was a set of carpets for my Alfa Spider which never arrived. However I was never charged for them either. It was blamed on the illness of the carpet supplier.

The other was the cat for my Mondial. It was supposed to arrive within a week, per the web site, and I had an e-mail before ordering indicating the part was in stock. Part arrived 3 1/2 weeks later.

Store hours are more like noon to 2 PM than whatever is posted on the web page. I usually had some luck phoning during that time.

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
  10. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Just installed a set on my 1995 355 Spider with stock muffler. Sounds better but not too loud. Seems to rev faster but otherwise can't tell a lot of performance difference. Took about two hours without removing the muffler or rear bumper. Easy job. The stock converters were in good condition. If anyone is interested in them send a PM. I will let them go cheap.

11. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Bringing this back fro the dead... Is HyperFlow still in business?
    Looking for some high flow cats and was curious if they are still available. Interwebs search yields no results.
    (Considering Evoflow or Top Speed Pro-1)

12. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    No longer in business

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Be aware that pretty much any aftermarket catalyst will not be optimized for the application, and will often require some sort of O2 extenders or some such to prevent a "low catalyst efficiency Pcode". Perhaps not initially, but within a few months or thousand or two miles. That has been my experience and that of many others.

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  14. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
  15. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I considered this option as well... How are they doing so far? Results from the Butt Dyno as well as the sound?

16. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Illa I have no dyno numbers. As far as sound, there is no difference. But my oem cats were shot and so I put these together for less than $500.00 usd. From my research, you won’t see any significant bhp increase with free flow cats.

f355spider likes this.
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looks like a sound business opportunity. ;)

Nino1964 likes this.