Pista Chronicles: Nerding out with my HREs | FerrariChat

Pista Chronicles: Nerding out with my HREs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    So, I just can't own a car without having a set of cool wheels to swap on and off when the mood strikes me. For a long time, I've been an HRE guy. The fitment is spot on, and they make a wheel called the 101LW that is incredibly light.

As I've mentioned before, my mantra when it comes to mods is to do no harm. Huge wheels and fat-fatty tires are cool, yes. But when they add to rotational mass, that's no bueno.

So, in an effort to irritate my wife, I had this brilliant idea: WHY NOT ORDER SIX WHEELS? Makes perfect sense. One full set of 20s in the exact factory sizes, and then an extra pair of 355/25/21s for the rear, just because they look so cool.

Here's the net result for you tire and wheel nerds:

Factory Pista front wheel and tire: = 45.2 pounds
    HRE front w/factory rubber: = 40 pounds

Factory Pista rear and tires: = 53.6 pounds
    HRE rear w/factory rubber: = 49 pounds

TOTAL NET REDUCTION IN ROTATIONAL MASS: 19.6 pounds.

But what about the fat-fattys?

355/25/21 = 56.4 pounds. So, I suffer a 2.8 pound weight penalty for a footprint with 2" more rubber. That means that even with the 20/21 combo with the HRE, we are still significantly lighter NET than the factory wheels and tires.

BTW, yes, the Pista feel significantly more responsive to throttle and braking input when the wheels are 20 pounds lighter. It's amazing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons, lamborarri and jm2 like this.
  2. Nice.

Any pictures of them mounted?

Etcetera likes this.
  3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You are my HERO!!!!

I keep looking for a nice used set of 20" wheels for my 488...other than factory wheels I have-not found anything. Might have to bite the bullet later this year. I'm a fan of the same HRE's you have and the BBS FI-R and Forgeline has some nice ones I love too.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  4. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Man that looks great!!

FordGTDriver likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I just spoke to a local shop. Gonna go the novitec route and lower my Pista. Your car inspired me and I’m tired of staring at a 4x4 truck!

Jo Sta7 and FordGTDriver like this.
  7. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Not a fan of aftermarket wheels, however, those are fantastic!!!! Great job. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordGTDriver likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They look great. I honestly can't see a visual difference between the 20" and 21"...are you messing with us? The valve stems on wheels are in the same exact position in the comparison shots as is the front center cap. Only the rear center cap is different otherwise I thought they were the same photos just altered a bit after the fact.

Can you tell a difference driving with 20 v 21?

9. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Hee hee. You're right, the pictures look so similar. I left the car in place when I changed the rear wheels out, all during the same photo shoot, which explains why the lighting is the only thing that is a little different. I wanted the comparison photos to be taken in the same conditions so there would be fewer visual variables. I, too, was amazed at how little difference in appearance there is. The dead rear view really looks different in person though, the 355s are HUGE.

I can't tell much difference between the 20s and the 21s. However, at the track, the 355s would cause massive understeer. On the street, it's not an issue. I really feel that the car accelerates harder with the the HREs on it.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  10. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I love the look of HRE’s. Though I’m not an aftermarket rim guy at all, they blend so beautifully on Ferrari’s. The weight savings are interesting. I know HRE makes a really high quality product but are they as strong as an OEM wheel?

FordGTDriver likes this.
  11. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I've often wondered about this. All I can offer is an educated guess; since HRE has less concerns about all the compliance/warranty stuff that Ferrari does, I'll bet that the HRE would not sustain the abuse the factory wheels would. Having said that, HRE has a devoted engineering staff and I wouldn't hesitate to use their products. In my mind, they are the only choice when it comes to bespoke wheels that actually improve the car's performance.

Now, if I just had a cool $50k sitting around, I'd order a set of carbon wheels from Ferrari. They are lighter still than the HREs.

ppg70 and 020147 like this.
  12. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m not an aftermarket wheel guy either but those.....
    Man they look amazing!

FordGTDriver likes this.
  13. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    I’m not a fun of aftermarket rims but you did an incredible job and I love the final results as well as all detailed explanation and information you gave us.
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring
    Personally I prefer with 20 at rear rather then 21....a part of driving dynamics consideration

FordGTDriver likes this.
  14. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    this is what I did.....also carbon wheels are coming with the Michelin Sport Cup 2 R

FordGTDriver likes this.
  15. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Incredible, you have my respectful envy, my friend! Nothing lighter than those, and I'm sure you will marvel at the difference in dynamics once they are on the car. Those tires will be supremely sticky. Send some pics when you have them. Cheers!

ppg70 likes this.
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Both look great...love the design of that wheel...classic race car inspiring. I like the 20/20 combo. 20/20 looks more muscular with more meat on the tires.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  17. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I really agree with you on that. What's cool about it is the dynamic improvement of the lighter weight of the 20 vs. the 21, not to mention the ride improvement from the taller sidewall. Total weight difference between the 20 and the big fat 355 on the 21 is over 7 pounds per corner. That's heavy! Can't recommend the 20/20 HRE setup strongly enough. I really can feel the difference over the factory setup.

mdrums likes this.
  18. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Doh! I forgot to mention the incredibly cool titanium lugs my tire and wheel guy provided for the HREs...so cool and custom machined for this exact fitment. I estimate that they weigh approximately the same as a peanut M&M. The question I have for the collective body is quite simple: why do I rock so hard? :)

lamborarri, mdrums, 020147 and 2 others like this.
  19. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007

Attached Files:

stavura, VAF84, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What are you going to do with your other/stock lug nuts?

21. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    who made those? they look lighter than the stock titanium ones

mdrums likes this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Those HRE’s are the most versatile wheel they look good on almost every super car. 911/458/488/720S hell even the 918.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  23. FordGTDriver

Jun 9, 2007
    I'll keep them for use with the stock wheels; the HREs require a shorter length. Usually swap wheels back and forth every so often, just to entertain myself.

mdrums likes this.