Maserati Khamsin | Page 333 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8302 Nembo1777, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Hello all from Gstaad Switzerland where I just ran into Bernie Ecclestone, quite surreal! We had a nice chat.

I have now decided not to stray into the wrong neighbourhoods, be they urban or virtual such as P & R forums, wrong kind of encounters there.
    Anyway back home tonight, fresh Khamsin content tomorrow.:)

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Here is another photo of that modified dark green K in japan during its yellow years...no headlights needed!
    I wrote the owner a proper email but no news so far.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  4. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8304 AMLC, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Could it be possible that, because of the Rosso Bianco sticker on the car, this is the Khamsin from the Rosso Bianco collection?
    Maybe this man, who is a very serious collector, bought part of the Rosso Bianco collection at the time, including the Khamsin?
    Of course this is all speculation, another possibility is that he once visited the Rosso Bianco collection, bought a sticker, and put it on one of his cars. :)

If I'm not mistaking the Khamsin from that collection was AM120034? And it was for sale at the time at Berlinetta Motors in Germany? They still have two Khamsins on their website in the "Verkauft" section, maybe one of these is #034, but there is no information about whether it was sold to Japan: https://www.berlinettamotors.de/deutsch/verkauft/maserati/.

33guana and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8305 Nembo1777, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Very interesting idea AMLC, correct Kaus had it in the museum he showed it to me in 1995 when I visited for an article. Here are the pix of 034 I had, they are at least 20 years old. The seats match but the big sidelights, interior (dash leather color) and mirrors do not. I will resend an email soon if no answer.

Interestingly years ago Mr Cozza told me the owner of Quattroruote magazine in Italy, Mr Mazocchi a then elderly gent owned this Khamsin new, AM120034, owned in the name of Editoriale Domus his magazine publishing group. Mr Cozza said Mazocchi used to drive it around with his sexcretary;-)

Reto G. a Swiss Khamsin enthusiast inspected it in 2008 at that dealership and was not impressed, a lot of work done wrong. I have no idea where it is now...it is conceivable it is our mystery car in the land of the rising sun but I have my doubts...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana and pilotoCS like this.
  6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    pilotoCS likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8307 Nembo1777, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Hello AMLC,

funnily enough I was thinking about that car a few days ago: I had no news of it for a long time, it is 060 with a very unusual velours interior and leather (?) clad wheel. Good to know it is still in good health or was 13 years later somewhere near Frankfurt...

I first saw this car in ads from the late 1990's. Then I have emails, some of my very oldest ones in my MKR files, before I started the MKR in 2004, from Georg Klein the Berlinetta Motors owner from St Ingbert answering Danish prospect Tore Naas 8 January 2001:

Hallo,

I own the car since Feb.94,it comes from Italy,where no salt is used on the

road.Chassis AM 120060,from May 1974.

Once repainted in 1988.Drives excellent,excellent original body gaps.Mileage

ca.48000.Paint has a few chips,small oil leak

at clutch cylinder,all options incl. air condition. Interior original and

excellent,carpets new. I hope this is of interest to you.

Sincerely Georg Klein

I h Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The one I would like to identify now is in a sleepy Austrian museum, Kraftfarzeug museum Sigmundsherberg, I would have gone this week if the public was allowed at the F1 GP in Zeltweg: I emailed him and wrote to him via FB a couple of weeks ago but no answer... Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  9. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Don't think I've seen that one before. LHD, seats appear to be of the first type, but the wipers are not to one site. Maybe a very early car?

Found this photo: https://party3d.com/base/2014/04/13/42258/PIC_9783.jpeg

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you for that, well early yes but with nose vents so maybe an 80ish chassis number....who knows...interesting museum lots of Modenese cars. Will try again this coming month to reach him.

11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8311 AMLC, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Yes, would be nice to hear from this man and from the man in Japan.
    Something completely different: we know about the Khamsins in Japan of course, but nevertheless it's not hard to imagine that people are surprised when they see one in Tokyo.
    This editor has two days in Tokyo in 2016 to test a new Abarth 124 Spider and to discover the essence of Italian culture in Japan, when he finds a Khamsin in a garage: https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/culture-clash-the-fiat-abarth-124-in-japan
    The photo: https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/wheels/2017/06/16/Misc/Abarth-124-Maserati.jpg

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Arigato for that:)

That Khamsin is known I just can't recall its chassis number but that number plate is familiar if I had time I would do an Excel document for my database or at least pit the country at the end of each file. In the photo the rear glass has some unusual strakes behind it, wonder what that is: perhaps to prevent luggage from hitting the (plexi) glass?

13. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC

This car was discussed before, quite a few pictures of it, but no VIN yet. It is an automatic with burgundy interior.
    Here the picture that shows the blue 308 mentioned in the text.

14. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes I see, in posts #7882 (https://flic.kr/p/LQBaz8) and #7889.
    There is a sticker on the back of the car (“SSSA”), a similar sticker (a bit larger) was/is on the back of a silver (with black) Khamsin in Japan.

15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger,

When I looked at this photo I was surprised that the car does not have black leather.
    I thought #1018 was a red car with black leather, in Holland since the early/mid nineties.
    Is my information wrong, or do you think they changed the leather to black?.

16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  17. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  18. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi AMLC

not sure which car in Holland you mean, any picture of that?
    my only other info on 1018 is possibly from Marc:
    Ad in VCM #55 July 20, 1989
    “Red/ivory 5 speed, 3700 miles, full documentation, 75 Chicago show car.”
    and one more photo, with the Maserati exhibition stand

19. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  20. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8321 Nembo1777, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Good morning, thanks for posting that.

They based their text on my Bonhams February 2015 Grand Palais auction catalog text which is fine but here is what I discovered a few days ago: I just got about 70% of my archives back, all my Florida belongings that had been in storage for 15 years firsts in Florida and then the UK, they arrived a month ago and I have been digging through them, happy like a piglet in fertilizer;-) Well one thing I found is while reading an old VCM issue (Viale Ciro Menotti magazine, the US Maserati club magazine produced for many years by MIE) is this ad: it clearly refers to AM120US1142, the T top car.

It had been believed that it was painted black at the same time as the T Top conversion was done, well it turns out that is not the case: in this ad it is clearly stated the car is T Top but still yellow...and the ad is not from 77 when the car was new but from 1983 (VCM January February 1983 issue. Not hugely important but that means it spent six years in fly yellow before being painted black. I wonder if there are any photos, if anyone saw it back then in yellow. I will now inform Artcurial.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is tomato fire engine red alas...

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  24. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger

Then I will add a few pictures to show the differences: and an older picture with still other rear view mirrors.

- side indicators
    - wiper position
    - rear bumper reflectors
    - beige carpet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes plus the mirrors are different as well.

I think the photo at the bottom of your post is yet another car, a third one, the mirrors are different yet again.