A Sicilian Dream | FerrariChat

A Sicilian Dream

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by zygomatic, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just found this documentary, “A Sicilian Dream” on Netflix. As you might guess, it is about the Targa Florio. So far, it boasts lovely scenery, Alain de Cadenet, and a properly epic subject

I figure it is a great way to get ready for F1 qualifying tomorrow.

Isobel and stever like this.
  2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    A Sicilian Dream is a young and beautiful Sophia Loren seated in my TR. The TF is a piece of history. Both worthy of my time. But Sophia will gain my attentions first. :D

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well for those of us who are (sadly!) lacking in both female company and access to a TR, the movie will have to do.

It does have a very good story about Enzo Ferrari

4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Thanks!

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks for the heads up on this.

Best to be careful with Sophia Loren. Peter Sellers fell for her charms, left his wife
    and family for her and she didn't even know who he was. Just saying...

BHW

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Could there be another title?

On going into Netflix and plunking in "A Sicilian Dream" a window comes up stating
    "Your search for 'A Sicilian Dream' did not have any matches".

BHW

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just went back to Netflix to check - looks like the title has been moved off air (likely because it is now July and they do an end-of-month title swap-out)

However, if you're willing to risk $3.99, it is rent-able through Amazon.

I'll say this: the scenery is epic. I did learn a bit about the Targa Florio and got to see some great '60s (and earlier race footage). There is also a great story about Enzo in a "lift" and a hilarious response by Alain de Cadenet when asked if an early-20th century race car was safe ("I'm supposedly a racing driver, so let's see").

That said, the narration and overall style is a little bit annoying. The style is often like something you'd see in a National Park museum film discussing "the region's early settlers". Not exactly a favorite. And, I think, it doesn't do the subject real justice.

But that's me - and, frankly, you can spend $4 in ways worse than being given some fodder for great daydreams.