Pista on Bring a Trailer pulled? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista on Bring a Trailer pulled?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jaguar36, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think I recall seeing Soulsea on Rennlist showing pictures of his previous GT2 RS. I could be mistaken. Unlike Noone, I think Soulsea is not residing in his parent’s basement.

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

IloveGT likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thats cool. Never claimed that he didnt have a car, was just was curious to set context for the discussion. Apologies to Soulsea for my PTND - Post Traumatic Noone Syndrome.

IloveGT and Thecadster like this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    #54 soulsea, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    It's all good.

And since this thread has run its course and it's no longer needed to validate my argument, here's my recent car list in case anyone has any questions about comparisons between any of them or questions about any specific model ...

Dailying:

2014 Range Rover V8SC

[​IMG]

2015 Range Rover V8SC

[​IMG]

2016 Range Rover V8SC

[​IMG]

2017 BMW X6M

[​IMG]

2017 Range Rover Sport SVR

[​IMG]

2018 VW Golf GTI

[​IMG]

2018 AMG E63S Wagon

[​IMG]

2018 Ford raptor ADD Build

[​IMG]

2019 BMW M5 Comp

[​IMG]

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (current)

[​IMG]

2021 Audi RS6 Avant (incoming)

[​IMG]

Funning:

2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28

[​IMG]

2015 Chevy Corvette Z06

[​IMG]

2016 Chevy Corvette Z06 Callaway

[​IMG]

2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S

[​IMG]

2016 Porsche 911 GT3RS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2017 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

[​IMG]

2016 Porsche 911 R

[​IMG]

2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28

[​IMG]

2018 AMG GT-R

[​IMG]

2018 Porsche 911 GT3

[​IMG]

2019 Porsche 911 GT3RS

[​IMG]

2018 Porsche 911 GT2RS

[​IMG]

2015 Ferrari 458 Spider (current)

[​IMG]

2012 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Gated (current)

[​IMG]

1995 Porsche 911 C2S (current)

[​IMG]

1973 Porsche 911 RSR 3.8 Backdate (under construction)

[​IMG]

2021 AMG GTR BS (incoming)

Yes I have a problem.
    No I'm not doing anything about it. :(

epah, Zcobra1, BLAMPEE and 6 others like this.
  5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    We’re here for you.
    If you want some help with that 911R problem, I’d be happy to lighten that load ;)

6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Ha, I actually sold the R when I got the 2RS, which I regretted five minutes later.

sampelligrino and Thecadster like this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    question of the day- is the R worth the premium over the Touring. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Ash Patel likes this.
  8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    It's not a long discussion ...
    With SMF yes
    Without SMF no
    Manual SMF is the fairy dust ... imo.

9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    R vs T is a great question (I'm sure there's many threads on RL), as is SMF (yay or nay).
    Beyond the specifics, it's a great example of the Car Buyer's Dilemma: how does one select between two excellent options (one of which is quite uncommon) when all most have to go on is written specs and internet/journo hearsay?
    Most of us are not able to test drive back-to-back these fine examples and thus make a truly informed decision.
    The original buyers of the R could only go on the theoretical difference of the SMF, since they couldn't drive an R with and without before deciding.

Emotion as opposed to logic likely plays an outsized role in the decision-making. The breakdown between the two (more emotion? more logic? balanced?) is one area where individuals will differ.
    I'm guessing this dynamic influences a lot of our discussions about Car A vs B.
    Someone like Carnut will likely be at the extreme of the logic end of the spectrum.
    Someone like Noone is going to be far at the other end of the spectrum, using only emotion (and not first-hand experience) to formulate opinions.

Just some random thoughts.

(and for the record, I'm team R with SMF although it's an admittedly emotional allegiance)

soulsea likes this.
  10. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    The grigio telesto GT3 was a manual, basically a touring with a wing ... although very similar on paper to the R the driving experience was very different, at least to me.

Like C50 said, one has to drive both to see if the price difference is worth it to them, just reading the specs doesn’t translate. A lot of peeps who have driven both tend to agree that the smf R is a very special car. Although it was originally a 991.1 pats bin car, it all came together as the most perfect modern day 911 alongside the 997.2 4.0 RS.

The non smf cars are currently trading pretty close to the touring (I think one just sold on bat for around $230k). SMf cars currently can’t be found for under $300k.

C50 likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ill say lose the Ranges they like to catch fire

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I am a doctor and I approve that syndrome as I also suffer from it.

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    to add... If I could afford one I wouldn't give a rats ass about the carbon. I never liked it. It looks dated to me. Engine compartment, maybe in small doses. Other than that, I've never warmed up to it. Looks passe' to me.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ^^^ yup. I've been dumbfounded myself at the spending going on in my area. Seems crazy and I really don't get it. But my commercial property value has increased dramatically since January 2020.
    New construction everywhere. Maybe a regional thing, but still kind of shocked as it seems counter intuitive to me given the economic and social situations right now.

and yes, I agree. Stop worrying and enjoy life. If losing money on your supercar it the worst that can happen, then I say what are you worrying about anyway.

Ash Patel likes this.
  15. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Well said! :cool:

16. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Soulsea, I remember when you bought the Z28! lol

soulsea likes this.
  17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    *sniff* that's beautiful Serge. I remember your run on RL with the 991 GT stuff, I was an admirer lol.

soulsea likes this.
  18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Thanks bud, I appreciate it. Nice to see you btw, you haven’t posted much here lately.

I’m blessed to have been able to go through all those cars, it’s been a process of refinement that has helped me narrow down and identify the things that are important to me in my car ownership, be it for a dd, for a fun car, or for a track car.

As I’ve mentioned before because of performance technology the line is now blurred between dds and supercars. As I stared at the M5C and 2RS in my garage I knew that I couldn’t go any faster on public roads with the Porsche than the BMW, and the bimmer sounded better, and it was more practical and comfy, basically a usable supercar, same with the amg wagon and it’ll be the same with the rs6. I had already decided not to track street cars any more for safety reasons, so the 2RS sat there largely undriven.

That was my moment of epiphany when I decided that I simply don’t care any more that getting an extra tenth was worth driving FI cars that don’t move me, especially since I can get that from my grocery getter. Hence, since then, I’ve been going backwards in performance with older cars but forwards in joy per mile ratio. The only exception moving forward is the GT black series, but anyone who’s driven an AMG GTR knows that despite the TT, that car is as raw and brutal as one could wish for.

Anyway, that’s my journey ... others come away from theirs with different conclusions. Like I said it’s all good. :)

sampelligrino and Elisesko like this.
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    It's such a great car, I went back and bought a second one to get it out of my system. :)

Great example of not having to pay crazy money to experience automotive purity. That NA 7L LS7 had cam lope from the factory. The tremec manual was perfect for it. Couldn't see anything out of it and that front spoiler snowplowed ants, a ridiculous car really, and one of my favorites along with the R and 458. A throwback when enthusiast engineers were in charge instead of bean counters.

kane00 likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I almost picked up a mustang manual- GT 350 for the reason. Cheap heater manual. I need a Manual fix!!

21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    The 350R is a great car by all accounts. It's faster than the Z/28 and a little more civilized ... between 305 front tires and the snowplow splitter the Z needs to be accommodated when one's driving it on public roads. I prefer the LS7 to the Voodoo, it's an epic engine the likes of which we'll never see again, but the 350R is all kinds of manual fun. Both low revving V8s sound tits.

22. So true.

I'm looking to pick up a S2000 AP1 because I've come to realize that driving fast in a slow car is oftentimes more fun than driving fast in a fast car, or even slow in a fast car.

23. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The 350R is still one of my favorites. It's a total hooligan, just made for causing trouble.

Jaguar36, IPO1 and soulsea like this.