F8 - Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but.... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    The purchase and to some extent ownership proposition of 458 v F8 is pretty different IMO, when you consider the new cars 7-years of inclusive servicing and 4-years of warranty.

As a 6-11 year old car, its amazing that 458 is still so desirable and fresh to look at and if owners didn't jump to 488, I guess F8 offers only an incremental gain.

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Angelo, with all due respect and I mean that. The delta for the F8 is definitely a factor as I don’t think I would be satisfied. But remember, that is not why I won’t buy and F8. I have turned my attention to either a 2015 Speciale which delta speaking is much higher than a F8 or I will be arranging to drive an 812, again, whose delta is much higher than the F8. So to be clear, the F8 is not being purchased because I can’t or won’t because the delta from 458 to F8 is too big, but rather all that I personally need to be happy as a Ferrari owner is and will not be fulfilled by the F8 right now. That may change a few years from now as I age and things become different as expectations may change. But for now, me, personally the F8 is the car I really really want to love but just can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I totally agree with this statement. The sales man was always preaching how easy this is to daily drive and how painless it is to own this car on a daily basis. I understand but I sort of like the drama and excitement of the 458 series. I have other vehicles that are daily drivers for this. The Montreal car may be the same one, not sure though. It could be the dealers car as it was with the Quebec plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The F8 in Toronto had New Jersey plates. The overiding reason 458 owners are not moving to the F8 is the significant cost difference which is always the case when trading in a 7-10 year old model for a newly introduced one. For those who have convinced themselves that the F8 is less satisfyng to drive inspite of it being clearly superior on every objective driving metric and that it is not as aesthetically pleasing, good for you.

5. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I think when people give strong opinions (like the O.P.) then it is just easier to go through previous postings (many people contradict themselves on these forums)... Specialie has been on his radar since 2018... No idea why it is still on his radar. I'm guessing $$$ (which is usually always the case when someone is considering a car with much bigger delta then what they have). If they have ever mentioned depreciation in the past then that in itself is the biggest reason of why they aren't stepping up. All other reasons are just backing into the decision with $$$ being the most important part.

In person and in real life the conversation is very short usually of why a person has a certain car or why they didn't buy a certain car....

Coincid and MANDALAY like this.
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well yes, it does become a value proposition based on the cost. It's not double the experience for double the price... But is ~25% power increase and newer electronics. The thrust from the low-down torque is amazing.

I may be in the minority who likes the F8 looks better. I'm with Angelo, the triangular side intakes are what I love about the 308/288/328, 365 California and 488/F8.

In every enthusiast community there is a group that prefers earlier tech with which they are familiar. I still play 8 and 16 bit systems occasionally, even though I have the newest 4k Xbox. The Porsche group obviously has the air cooled devotees. You're in audio, right? Aren't there those transistor and tube guys who refuse to use Bluetooth digital speakers?

I guess admit I'm in the crew that is one generation behind in Ferrari tech. A late adopter. I was a "manual only" guy until a couple of test drives in the 458 and Portofino broke me down.

I'm stuck on NA vs turbo... If only for the sound. If the F8 had that 9k scream - even if it sounded like an F40 - I would put a deposit today.

MANDALAY, ScrappyB and SECRET like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny I’m just the opposite...
    I NEED that NA high pitch F1 sound....wont consider cars that don’t have it....just my opinion.

Sent from my 16M

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This.

Sent from my 16M

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The 458 is a puppy dog. There isn't much drama in those cars either. Just more than a twin turbo v8 because of NaTuRaL AsPiRaTiOnZ.....

458 is a great car. But modern cars are not very involving period. This includes the 458. It's just more involving.

Great car though. In fact the 458 was for many the first car with serious performance from Ferrari you could drive every day. Great gear box. A chin that didn't run. A great rid. Roomy and comfortable.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There is nothing in this world that is perfect or can ever be without flaws. This truism certainly applies to super cars. All have specific strengths, personalities and imperfections. When cost is not a priority, the car that more completely fulfills ones preferences and priorities is the one to own regardless of what offers may think. In my world, the 458 is showing its age very noticeably compared to the latest offering from Ferrari, McLaren and Lamborghini. Furthermore, my aesthetic sensibilities are not satisfied by super cars that look elegant. I desire a sporty demeanor with more detail, functional aero applications, and the ability to exude specialness. It must be unique in appearance so that it spontaneously elicits a sense of awe by all who gaze upon it.

Compared to forced air induction engines, the 458 has a superior sound. Its technical deficiencies compared to the F8, is stark and revelatory even upon a cursory drive. Those who are attempting to justify their preference for the 458 due to the cost of moving to the F8, will opine that the objective driving metrics pale in importance in comparison to the soul and emotion generated by the 458. Really. I'll take the F8 every day of the week and never look in the rear view mirror.

Tech Nerd, ryalex, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  11. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    It just depends what you desire in a car. the 458 and F8 are very different drives despite the F8 being a sort of 3rd gen 458 built on the same architecture. If you want outright power there are tons of other options out there. A used 720s with an extended warranty might be a better buy right now in my opinion if you want outright speed. Or get a twin turbo huracan/R8.

But high RPM NA sound and feel there are very few options if you want something with modern amenities . You are really just limited to the Huracan, GT3, and 458 for a sub-$300k price range.

12. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Coming from a 458 owner, I see it as the delta to upgrade to high for me at the moment, if it was around 100K I would jump on it all day everyday! Yes it is better in every way, not as wobbly and loose as the 458 which shows it age when it comes to fit, finish (a lot ot unwanted noise inside when going over uneven surfaces) and also how it handles on a twisty circuit and road =not as confidence inspiring as the newer F-cars

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Seriously, if money would be no object, who would even look at the 458???
    I know that if I had unlimited resources I might go for an F12 TdF (and a 250 GTO, and so on...) but never for a 458 (even with my limited resources it's not an option, I'm far happier with the 488, the Caterham, the DS and the upcoming 550).
    But personnally I'm not ashamed to admit I do have limited resources, kudos to the people being more successful than me and no BS :D

Gh21631, Wikdstrate, Coincid and 2 others like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I would and did.

15. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Many people.

Being blessed with resources gives one the freedom to purchase the things that move them, which may not necessarily be the latest and greatest. Usually the longer one is in that financial position the less those two things are related.

sampelligrino, anishka and dustman like this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I agree with you and Dustman that there are those that want this. But IMO the Delta outweighs those that want the sound. As how many are going 488 GTB > F8 ?

The feel the delta. That's why Ferrari are pushing new owners they haven't been hit yet

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You do realise this doesn't relate to you. We are well aware of your ability to purchase what you like. Its plainly obvious and I do congratulate you.

The delta discussions are more for those that have a single Ferrari. There is absolutely no shame of admitting one cant / wont because of the delta. Its not a penis size discussion. Its more what are the real reasons and why ever since the 488 GTB was released the 458 VS Turbo debate goes on and on and on.

The 458 is a great car but also are the 488 GTB and the F8 and the PISTA, Hell every Ferrari is great and to own one unlike you DUSTMAN us mere mortals are very happy to have at least one. But ild take the bet most owners would upgrade if the Delta was lower 100%. And those that had the means ( Like you Dustman) just add to the collection.

Gh21631, Ash Patel and Coincid like this.
  18. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I'm not even sure why this is argumentative ...

Different cars move different people. I have my first and only Ferrari, and after driving as many as I could regardless of price, I decided the 458S was the best one for my sensibilities, and it's completely irrelevant of my purchase potential. I got out of a much more expensive car that bored me to get into a 458 because I love it to bits, and I prefer puttering around in my slow af basic 993 more than all the P GT cars I've owned except the R. Heck after almost buying a Singer I decided to build my own backdate, not because of cost but because I decided the Singer wasn't raw enough for me ... mine won't be nearly as fancypants but it will be exactly as I want it. Others prefer having the fastest or 'coolest' thing out there for whatever their reasons are, be they a true love for the car, tracking, valet parking/c&c/social media cred, impressing whole foods milfs, or racing scooters ... it's all good, there's no reason to extrapolate from one's own reasons that someone else's are less valid ... it's not like they're spending your money to buy their cars.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

See you don't fit in the Dustman pigeon hole.
    From what I gather you only bought your 458 spider late last year. You have already a depreciated car probably 40% plus. You don't feel the pain.
    You like your 458 spider good on ya, no issues , it floats your boat.

soulsea likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ok...just correcting a blanket statement.
    And no, I cannot purchase Pagani after Pagani!

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

BTW the Pista you scored has to be one of the best and unique. If it was mine I would not have sold her.

Pagani, forget that get a real Ferrari your own one of one.

Gh21631 and soulsea like this.
  22. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Motion to ban the pauper.

C50 likes this.
  23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    As an American owner, I hope to find a solution regarding the unrequited GPF.

(I am perplexed as to why Ferrari chose to impose this in markets where it is not mandated)

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    GPF? Gallons Per Flush?

MalibuGuy likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Only 5% of all Ferrari sales down here but I also beg to as WHY ? We still have high sulphur fuel ! GPF not required yet