2021 Geneva Motor Show CANCELLED as well | FerrariChat

2021 Geneva Motor Show CANCELLED as well

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Marcel Massini, Jun 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Now official:
    The 2021 Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland, scheduled for March 2021, has now also been officially cancelled. This years March 2020 Geneva Motor Show had already been cancelled just three days before the opening (due to the Covid-19 situation).

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  2. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, 2020 was cancelled 3 minutes after my plane from Australia landed in Geneva *grrrr*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The new information is for next year: 2021.
    No Geneva motor show in 2021.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Unfortunately it seems that the traditional Auto Shows days are numbered. Most have been on shaky ground the past couple of years and now CV19 maybe too much to overcome.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'm curious as to the financials of the auto shows. The one in Philly charges $14 a person to visit and its always packed. I assume the auto makers are paying to be there as well? Seems like the convention center must be making a fortune.

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

IMO -- stupid. There's no need to call it off this early. I

Flash G likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Nope. Auto shows will exist as long as manufacturers bring their cars. They save more money in PR and travel than trying to get reporters from all over the world to pay attention to them.

Its advertising. And in fact internet advertising is more important than traditional TV and print. That's what shows do -- get thousands of people to report on what you're doing so that millions will find out.

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The cost for a manufacturer to do the major autoshows is massive. The upscale manufacturers stopped doing them years ago, usually choosing to do small invitational events off-site for press and qualified clients. Many are also shifting to using virtual debuts with the physical debut taking place at events like Pebble, Goodwood etc.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't disagree. But the cost of getting your product to the eyes of millions is also expensive.

As long as car shows attract the media, bankers, and advertisers in one place at one time where they can all be together to get out the message, there will be car shows like Geneva.

Pay me now or pay me later....

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    a manufacturer could fly in all the significant media, put them up in 4 star hotels for 3 days, feed them etc. for a fraction of the cost of doing just 1 major auto show.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    WRONG. There are hundreds of vendors, parts suppliers, and small and start up manufacturers who cannot afford that and neither would the press bother for them.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    whose talking about vendors parts suppliers etc? Small manufacturers pulled out of the big major shows years ago due to cost. Now large manufacturers are pulling out due to cost, which can easily reach 7 figures.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Car shows will be cancelled when car companies no longer find it profitable.

Its really simple. No one goes because "they have to".