My BMW 507 project | FerrariChat

My BMW 507 project

Discussion in 'Other German' started by A12pilot, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hello Everyone,

Now that the Ferrari search is over and my 328GTS is in the garage, I figured I’d post up a thread on another project I’m working on. My ultimate dream car, ever, has always been the BMW 507. Considering how the they’ve reached catastrophic cash levels, no way anytime soon I’d be able to afford one. So what’s the best thing to do to get one? Simple! Sink catastrophic cash into making one!!! HA!

But seriously, I decided that this would be the ultimate project for me and the next big challenge I was looking for. A little background on me; My hobbies and passion has always been cars and flying. With the cars, it’s always been a “what’s next?” attitude. I’ve always owned a classic car since I was 17. I’ve always done all the work to them over the years but hit a plateau when I first bought a chunk of crap 1968 Roadrunner and was knee deep in rust. I’m pretty sure the car was stored at the bottom of Lake Erie for years before I got it. The first quote I got for metal and paint work was all I needed to give me the nudge to go buy a welder and paint guns to teach myself! My attitude has always been that if other people can do it, so can I and if I screw up I’ll just try again.

I’ve restored several classic cars (Chargers, Roadrunners, Chevelles, tri-five Chevies, old farm trucks, Mustangs...you name it) and am currently about to paint a 1970 Cuda for a client who purchased the car from me unrestored. Here’s a video on V8TV about my 1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee I unveiled at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals a few years ago. Others than the headliner and glass installation, the whole restoration was done by me and ultimately captured a Concours Gold (975 out of 1000) at the show.

https://youtu.be/Dc1DIg3MXaE

So that’s my story, and with that, the 507! I had an idea of how I’d build this car if I had the chance but the biggest hindrance was a body. After purchasing a highly detailed 1/18th scale model and realizing the accuracy of it, I enlisted the services of a 3D scanning company to help me out. I wanted to make a body buck which would allow me to build the body with accurate dimensions. I took the model and my specifications to a company and chatted with them about my project. They were all in and after it was all said and done, the 3D CAD drawing and files were created to have the body buck laser routed out of MDF. I originally had planned on making the body out of metal but I don’t have the equipment to do that. I decided the second car body I make will be out of metal, but this first one will be out of fiberglass. Make no mistake, it’s NOT taking the easy way out. Far from it. Actually, none of this is easy, but it’s so much fun!!!!

I’ll update the thread as I move forward and explain in more detail how I’m doing what I’m doing. I hope you enjoy following along!!

Cheers

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here’s the model broken down and then primed for the scan. 3D scanning required a flat finish which makes helps not scatter the rays during the scan. Now, of course this was an excuse to buy two models!

The result was a 3D rendering of the car. Measurements from a real car are being used to make sure I stayed true to form. Being a 1/18th scale model, whatever measurements I got off the model with a micrometer were multiplied by 18 and that gave me the measurements of the real car. Amazing the accuracy of this thing!

I had the guys break the model into sections every 10”. That would create a station for the buck about the longitudinal and lateral axis of the car. Think of an old Gullows balsa wood model plane kit. Same idea. The whole assembly would sit on a 4x4 frame so I had those included in the plans.

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  3. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Next up was creating files for delivery to the CNC company to router the panels out of MDF. I will make another buck out of 3/4 plywood when I start the metal body build. That buck is known as a “hammer buck” since you hammer the metal around that shape to create your design. Although this one will be used to pull a mold off of for the fiberglass body, it will be used as a “finish buck” (think clay model concept that the auto makers use for new designs) to fit the steel panels onto after I form each one.

But that’s later for the second car. Right now, MDF will be perfect since I’ll something sturdy yet easily sanded and shaped.

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone and jm2 like this.
  5. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    audi_328, mcimino, sainthoo and 2 others like this.
  7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Looks awesome! What do you do for the gaps in between the MDF? What are you going to use for a drivetrain? What about all the various pieces of chrome and such?

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    OUTSTANDING! Always have loved the 507 style.
    And yes, I'll be following your progress!
    btw: there have been a couple of other similar build threads of FChat; not sure any of them were completed (or at least posted as such...)
    Sorry, I don't know how to search FChat to find them.....maybe Rob could help.......

PS: have you seen this? (page 3)
    https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=28555&page=3

9. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you! Yes, I know about that. Tristan is building that replica and is using a Z4 chassis as a base. I don’t know how far along he is, but hopefully he’s making progress!

To answer your questions, everything will be hand made: front and side grilles, trim, etc. I have a real windshield and gasket, side mirror, dash, and tail lights. After making the grilles, they along with any other parts, will be 3D scanned and printed for suture use. The chassis will be very close to the original featuring a 4 wheel torsion bar suspension. The engine will look aesthetically identical to the factory V8 yet be a small block Chevrolet. More on all that later!

I trimmed the buck down a bit more closer to the shape to get rid of some excess MDF. I also made a pseudo windshield frame just for mockup purposes.

Moving on, it’s time to fill the voids. I’m using pink construction foam from the big box stores and a belt sander with 80 grit on it along with a 12” sawzall blade to sculpt. The good thing about the 3D scan is that it put a relief on the panels where the doors, trunk, and hood openings are so there’s no guess work!

Cheers
    Dave

mcimino, tritone and Boomhauer like this.
  10. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
  12. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The hood scoop was also incorporated into the scan, so it’s laid out exactly where it should be. Measurements off a real car confirm I’m right on with the size. Meanwhile, I have collected 8 correct Roundels for the car, aN AM/FM Becker Mexico radio/amp/speaker, and a few other correct parts for her.

I had to stop for a bit and wheel it over to the big shop so I could move the Cuda over for paint in the small shop. It looks really good outside!!!

Cheers
    Dave
    View attachment 2965159 View attachment 2965160 View attachment 2965161

Attached Files:

13. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mcimino and tritone like this.
  14. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave

Attached Files:

15. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The headlight buckets were mounted to car which involved cutting the MDF and three layers of foam to get them to fit correctly. I also extended the bucket 1/2” so the trim ring fits correctly. This lip will be reinforced with a steel inner ring to mount the bucket onto once the body is finished. The lines are extremely close now and I’m REALLY pleased!!!!!

This is where I’m at right now on the build, so the updates won’t be as fast as they have been. I just wanted to get the thread up and running so you all can follow along. The Cuda is ready for paint and I’ll be doing that over the next few weeks with part time here and there on the 507.

In talking with several fiberglass auto body guys, my plan is to skim coat this entire form with filler, then cover that with one layer of fiberglass mat to hold everything in. Once that’s done, I’ll continue with filler and block sanding much like I would on any car until it’s a body that’s ready for paint. I will be painting it so it’s true to form before I pull a mold off the buck since it needs to be waxed and sprayed with mold release. A painted surface is perfect for that!

I’m extremely excited about the process. My goal is to have the car ready for the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago next November, 2021 so anyone in the area can see the car in person and inspect my handiwork! I’d like to have the body popped by the end of the year and think that’s doable.

Meanwhile, the hunt continues for more parts! More to come....

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, sainthoo, 4re308 and 5 others like this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Wow, what a cool project. Reminds me of being in school again.
    Anxious to see the finished product.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 507 is stunning, and your project looks really neat. Thanks for sharing it!

tritone and Boomhauer like this.
  18. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Keep the updates coming! I love and have loved the 507 forever too!

19. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, guys! I’ll have more updates later this month as I continue down the sculpting road!

Glad you guys like my work so far!

cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool of the too-darn variety! And you already have a trunk to stash Christmas presents in (great clip!), so what's not to like?!

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Amazing thread and amazing progress thus far. Any ideas on what color combo you want for the car? My favorite for the 507 (and Z8) is black exterior and red interior. Looks amazing in any color, though.

22. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Guys! I’m stalled right now since I’m finishing up a 1970 Cuda I sold to a guy, but I had to paint the car first and of course now I’m doing a few more things to it. “Hey, whole you’re at it, can you just redo the....”:rolleyes:

Color combo on the first one will be a dark graphite metallic with a Red interior. I think the factory color is Dolomitengrau or Steingrau. Haven’t gotten clarity yet in my searches. But then again, I’ve seen them painted all sorts of non-factory colors and am also leaning on Silver Blue from the 63/64 Vettes, or similar shade. We’ll see.

I acquired a factory dash for it along with a windshield. I’m going to be buying the donor car and chassis parts in the next few months. Can’t wait to get back on it!!!!!

Cheers
    Dave

tritone and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh, and I have about 1000 photos downloaded from several restorations of a couple Series II cars, and watch the Elvis video by BMW..oh....just about daily!!! Give me inspiration to start a video process of my own!

Cheers
    Dave

Emmanuel Goder and tritone like this.
  24. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave