430 - F430 to 458 Italia upgrade? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 F430 to 458 Italia upgrade?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ARMfastlane, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sorry, but the 430 is not the last body designed by Pinafarina, The 458 was! The 458 is also the last Ferrari with a normally aspirated 8 cylinder engine with a 9000 rpm max. There is absolutely no question regarding Duo clutch vs single clutch regarding durability, speed of shift or general maintenance necessities. Maintenance on my 15 458 has been 0 except things that I wanted done! 458 has 7 yr maintenance plan also that is alternating minor & major- free.

ARMfastlane likes this.
  2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The DCT is much more complex and i would much rather own a single clutch F1-system outside of warranty. 458 has it´s share of issues with the DCT and they cost around 30k to replace. You can do a lot of repairs on the single clutch system for 30k...

brogenville and RedTaxi like this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The 430 F1 dual plate (single) clutch is simple and cheap. The Getrag DCT in the 458 is not. Your '15 year is the last of the model and they may have sorted the issues by then? But as said any issue could run 30k.

4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Spend your money however you desire. You know the old saying, don't buy a Ferrari if you can't afford the upkeep.

5. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    That has nothing to do with what you wrote earlier though...

6. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I always thought the 458 a collaboration between Pinafarina and Ferrari's in-house design studio, but after some research that doesn't appear to be the case, I'll edit my post

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My perspective, from someone who can not afford a 458.

Wife just got a Macan, which is PDK and has the option to paddle shift. I haven't driven it much, yet, but even when I have I switch it to auto fairly quickly. On the street there is just not much excitement playing with the flappy paddles. I could maybe get a little more excited on the track, but again, while it would definitely lead to faster lap times I'm not sure if it would be a lasting enjoyment. Right now my 3-pedal 360 provides continuous engagement whether on the street or track. The difference between a 60ms or 50ms shift does not even cross my mind. There is very little thinking involved in flipping the paddle. Shifting the 360, and more so a 430, smoothly can be (is) an art, especially relative to my 308 which is so easy to make butter smooth shifts. Getting good rev matching heel-toeing only adds to the engagement and enjoyment factor.

So what exactly turns your crank when driving? Maybe you should think about going 'backwards' rather than 'forward'.;)

ARMfastlane and Flea7 like this.
  8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I totally agree. Although i haven't given up on a 458 completely....looking for a f355 manual currently. The F430 will stay put.
    Had time with a 488 for about an hour and I know for sure it's not for me. I'm not a turbo guy no matter how fast it is. I didn't like it back in the 80's and I don't like it now.

ARMfastlane likes this.
  9. _CoA

_CoA Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    I've owned both F430 spider and 599 Alonso. The 599 is a lot more expensive but I prefer the driving experience of F430 by a large margin. It's much more raw and exciting. Driving f430 feels like taming a wild horse while the ride of 599 is too smooth and bland. I've floor gased both cars. Statistically the 599 is faster but F430 wins in the bodily feel. I also like the v8 sound much more.

nickorette likes this.