Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    i totally agree !
    Both Novitec and Kline are good choices and materials and construction are great
    Novitec is much more expensive
    Does it really worth ? I’m not sure ....

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    totally agree

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Do you have any clips to share of the Pista with the Kline?

4. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    The Novitec is definitely LOUD with the Lusso - again, too much for my liking. At times it sounds "loose" if that makes sense. I do like the tight wail at high RPM's though. Even with the Novitec control button thingy, I do still on occasion get "check engine" codes but they usually go away within a minute or do on their own. I ended up having Kline make 200 cell cats that will be a direct bolt on for the Novitec cat delete pipes. I will be installing these in the coming weeks. Hopefully that will quiet it down some, 'tighten' the sound up and reduce the smell (your clothes can smell quiet bad of exhaust after driving - too much for me who wears a suit to work daily).

I had the full Kline ordered for the Lusso before installing the Novitec. I can tell you the Kline build quality is top-notch. Better than Novitec? - I'm not sure as both seem well built.

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @unogib Thanks for sharing that insight. Have you ever seen any Akrapovic exhausts for other cars? I'm curious about comparisons to that, as it is among the highest build quality out there. Lots of attention to detail there.

6. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    From what I can tell, the Novitec on the 812 is a no brainer. Full cat delete, no, but x pipe and rear unit. The Pista it is still so unclear which the winner is.

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have to say the Kline is interesting as it offers the Inconel Button to open / close the valves. There is a radio receiver sits neatly in the engine bay, ready to receive wireless commands from the Inconel Button. Only company offering that ?

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Interesting Kline > Romania , IPE > Taiwan , Novitec > German.

Gee wages in Romania / Taiwan about 1/5 th of Germany. There are great Tradesmen no matter which country but then there is also greed and mark up

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Not at all. Novitec, Capristo, forza all offer remotes that work the same.

MANDALAY and Gh21631 like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My bad , blond moment :)

Lagunae92 likes this.
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Lol! Theirs is the only one in Inconel though.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #187 Shadowfax, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Skilled labor rates may vary country to country but with a tubular exhaust product where the material is clearly specified the quality of the workmanship can be easily seen.

Kline Specializes in Inconel as well which may also afford them to provide that higher level of product at a more competitive rate. Frankly Kline is a bargain in comparison to the Novitec on everything. I really like the way Kline have designed the 488/Pista system keeping the valves in the equation on their large X pipe design as Ferrari designed the turbo engine's response incorporating the operation of the valves as a means to quicken the throttle response time. To do away with the valves entirely does away with Ferrari's tech. Novitec OTOH has simply carried the 458 system over to the 488 as nothing has changed on their large X pipe offering which has no valve functionality at all to accommodate for Ferrari's valve set up. Kline also offers the large X without the valves too I see and for much less money and in Inconel. So they have all bases covered. Novitec needs to step up their game as Kline has them beat on every front. The last thing they need to be is more expensive.

458-Italia and MANDALAY like this.
  13. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I have not....only from my days of riding bikes (GXR 600 and 1000) - Akrapovic was always a high quality name for nikes. I have never seen or heard one on a car let alone a Ferrari.

14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’ve seen and considered them when I had a BMW V8 M3. They were very popular and probably considered the top exhaust.

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Cant find an Aussie distributor ?

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It doesn't matter. Just email them direct. They are very responsive with great communication answering any questions and concerns and also offered great shipping rates. I did much the same when I bought the JCR pipe for my gt3rs - just went direct to the source. Was excellent service and communications and you are dealing with the boss not some reseller. Took only a matter of days before I had the product in my hands. It will be the same result if I go ahead with the Kline. Very professional.

MANDALAY likes this.
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Throttle response with or with out valves open ???

Valves open roughly around 3k r.p.m. which is low anyway so how can there be any difference in throttle response while performance driving?

If i need to... "get on it" I am definitely not going to do that at 2500rpm

I plugged my valves to stay open and have not noticed any less or odd throttle response. Car just sounds better at idle and under around 3k r.p.m. Above 3k the car sounds no different so valves are only effecting sound

18. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Driving in the canyons yesterday, played with the valve being open and closed. My brother and I both thought we could feel a difference, but a lot of things can contribute to the butt dyno.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the butt dyno is not necessarily the most precise way to measure but at the end of the day it is the only one that matters.

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    But nearing the end of the break-in period, we discovered just how FAST this car is. Incredible. And the sound at WOT is epic. I wasn’t a believer, but very solid.

LARRYH likes this.
  21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    But the valves open at around 3k rpm...so there is zero difference in exhaust flow pinning the valves open or have them open or close.

22. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Correct, sort of. They close around 2000 until 31/3200. But they also close as soon as you lift off the throttle, and reopen when you jump back on it. This is when you should feel the difference I suppose.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #198 Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    It was explained the principle is the same in 488 just not as critical as the much higher tuned Pista. The reduction in lag is found in the moments between off and on boost. Remember the foot doesnt always stay pinned to the throttle and there are countless on and off throttle applications during the course of driving a demanding road course. The closing of the valves manages the boost in a pre loaded state upon each throttle lift off to aid the immediacy of the throttle response upon each reapplication. Most will find it hard to detect because the engine is so powerful anyway but if you want optimum performance from the engine the ECU needs to be in control of the valves. Pinning the valves open is fine if noise is the key objective but there is a sacrifice to throttle response and engine performance whether you can feel it or not.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #199 Shadowfax, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    In a 488 the valve opening is audibly more pronounced because the muffler has more attenuation than Pista.

Pista OTOH is more noticeable on each throttle lift off as the valves redirect the flow through the muffler eliminating the noise of the engine coming off power. Also, at this time all load has been released from the engine and the automatic decrease in rpms results in the engine falling silent as the gas is passing through the muffler. With the valves open on decel you will recover all available volume which makes quite a difference to the sporty feel of the car. You will get that slight burble and the odd pop along with the tonal vibration of the engine.

Under power (in Pista) the noise mainly amplifies with engine load and the rise in rpms and will only slightly increase in volume when the valves open due to the muffler having little attenuation in a comparative state. This is why it is said an aftermarket muffler won't produce any worthwhile increase in audibility for the money spent and it is only the cat change that will give more actual volume that you can really notice.

Also, Flow is less with with the valves closed - due to the gas passing through the attenuation of the muffler - than exiting straight through the muffler Bi Pass, so there is most certainly a difference!

The decreased flow from the gas taking the attenuated route keeps the pre-load in place for the next throttle application. So once you remove that environment by having the having the valves open on throttle lift off the exhaust flow bi passes the muffler so the is no back-pressure environment to create the pre-load for the turbos to recover as quickly. The concept is easily understood if you think about it - which is Ferrari's way of reducing boost loss on lift off to create a better throttle/turbo response. Porsche uses the VTG which frankly I find better because there are no valves to interfere with the boost recovery equation.

Exactly. The difference is there whether some choose to believe it or, can feel it. I've found with the valves pegged open there can be a momentary loss of power when exiting a sharp corner after braking into the turn then re applying the throttle. With the valves under the ECU's control the power is more seamless upon exit with no apparent or momentary loss of power. It can feel a bit like the stability control systems are intervening and cutting power output on corner exit. I recall a similar feeling in the GTB if in sports mode when executing sharp bends where in race mode intervention became less obvious and throttle inputs were more seamless in recovering any lost boost from the previous lift off.

25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    And here I was talking about butt dyno! Good info Shadow.