Mileage anxiety | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mileage anxiety

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CoreyNJ, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I waited a long time to own this car so for me its always special to have the opportunity to drive it....Sunday morning filled up and took it on a 100 trip enjoyed every damm minute of it..There is always that balance of too many miles but I say go for it...Enzo would also be smiling to know his Cavallino's are proudly displayed on the open road.

Thecadster and Dane like this.
  2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    My mate Gizz...on here in Aussie,just sold his 60000 mile 430 after having put on about 40000 himself in 5 years.
    He drove the sox off it,maintained it both himself and our joint Ferrari trained mechanic.
    He didn't give a stuff that he in that time spent about $20K on it as he had gangs of fun driving it hard both and off the track.....you know the way they were designed .......
    He's now just purchased a gated 355 spider and it'll be treated the same.....enjoyment plus!

3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    this right here. some of us are getting to an age where mortality is not "something that will happen in the distant future".
    more than half of my days have been lived. Most of those were used for improving my future. Now is the time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

ryalex, Gary Sandberg, Robb and 5 others like this.
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You own a beautiful, wonderful Ferrari---DRIVE IT!

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    67,431 miles on mine at last count. Don't be fooled. As the 458's ultimately drop in price the F1 430 won't be worth that much. Drive it.

ryalex and 3POINT8 like this.
  6. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    +1 - why buy a car if not to drive it? Don't let that concern make you enjoy driving it less.. I intend to drive my 488 Spider every time I can possibly do so..

thorn and Boomhauer like this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i drove a ferrari as my daily driver for 9 years.

the specialness doesnt fade.

you just feel great every day !

with the way things are going, it is entirely likely that within 20 years you will not be allowed to drive an internal combustion ferrari.
    so what are you saving it for ?

SingleClutch, Robb, JaguarXJ6 and 3 others like this.
  8. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s been awesome. Great car, fast, reliable, exciting. I have owned it for 6,5 years now, it still feels ‘special’ every time I drive it. The best value for money in my opinion.

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's obviously not like this. You don't sell your girlfriend to her next boyfriend. Her (arguable) increased desirability to her next boyfriend due to having less sex with you does not have any monetary value to you, unlike mileage to a Ferrari's future owner.

10. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Don't worry about mileage. The modern day exotic car market has become so overasaturated (and will only get worse), that none of these cars will become true collectibles any time soon, save for a select few limited run cars. The future value difference between a 10k mileage modern exotic and a 35k mileage modern exotic won't be worth the stress of mileage anxiety. There will be a surplus of low mileage exotics, which will keep their rarity and value low because so many owners barely drive their cars as it is. If you think the future of EV will make your ICE cars more valuable, think again.. The upcoming generations do not care enough to make that a factor. Just enjoy the damn thing.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ryalex, Texas Forever, tomc and 4 others like this.
  11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Beat me to Jim’s line. IIRC he drove his TR year round until the frame rotted.

Nospinzone likes this.
  12. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    #37 audi_328, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    I have the opposite mileage anxiety. Sometimes if I'm on the bubble about going for a drive, I figure it's an opportunity to increase the mileage so I take the car out.

I love driven cars. At car shows and concours, I look for older cars with analog odometers and look for high miles. I heard there was a 150K mile award-winning yellow F355 at last year's FCA national; hats off to the owner.

30+ years ago when I was a kid lusting after and obsessing about Ferraris, reading everything about the cars and people involved that I could get my hands on, my imagination always had me driving the car - not just staring at it in the garage most of the time.

To each their own, I guess.

13. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    It's kind of nice when people smile, give a thumbs-up, give a horn honk or otherwise ogle your Ferrari. Very happy to share the fun experience with others. What is even more satisfying is when at car gatherings other Ferrari folks -- especially the minions to the Garage Queens -- come over, look at my 60k mile 550, tell me how beautiful to looks and sounds, and then drop their jaws saying, "You have HOW MANY miles on this ?" Driving, maintaining properly, and preserving are NOT mutually exclusive.

14. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    While we should not look at financials only when buying a luxury auto, I always try to keep my cost per mile within reason and I can only do that by driving it a lot. I daily the ZR1 and will continue to so until I trade it in. My only wrench in the works is that the wife wants to look at the new AMG SUV coming out with the 6.3 motor. That ruins the math right there as I would probably not want both cars. So I will continue to push the miles higher and enjoy the ride.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont understand mileage anxiety. I really stretched financially to buy my first Ferrari, a 355, but damn if I wasnt going to drive it or what was the point of stretching financially to get it.

16. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Same, Jerry!!!!! :D

TWINSIES!!!!!!! :D

MaurizioAM and anunakki like this.
  17. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I always remember what Napolis had on his signature line, "Not driving your Ferrari is like not having sex with your supermodel girlfriend because you are saving her for the next guy" nuff said!

18. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    I do a few 1000 plus mile rally’s a year. Several track days. . Like my wife said, you bought the car to drive it, not preserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Corey,

No one in their death bed has ever said: “boy I sure wish I had driven my Ferrari less”.

I’ve known people who died, full of dreams and projects, that were left unfulfilled because they thought they had time. That ends up putting things into perspective.

Sure, I don’t endorse living as if there was no tomorrow either. Life rewards you in the proportion that you plan and prepare. But keeping yourself from having fun, wanting to go for a drive but not doing it, it’s not healthy. The purpose of a Ferrari (and ultimately life itself) is to have fun on occasion.

Most funny stories I have in my life came from times in which I wasn’t all that logic, prudent or responsible. No good story ever came out of a guy eating a salad. Overthinking matters of the heart, or deciding emotionally matters of reason, is never good policy.

Indulge yourself. That’s what a Ferrari is for: guilt free pleasure.

Be safe and be happy.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wise words, to be frank, I see cars as high range and the rest.

What I mean is this. An extra few hundred of thousands is a lot of most, but relatively to Ferrari - not that big of a deal. Once you get into the 'big' boys, mileage doesn't play as much of a factor as I've seen with non-blue chips.

So either your car becomes a 'blue-chip' in 40 years or is one of the 'rest' - due to this personal belief, mileage is not an issue for me, as I purchase cars, not as investments first.

For example, say you have a 250. One is a garage queen that sells for 70 MM and the other with 100K miles that sold for 15M.
    Given I would most likely be 70+, I can't take the 55M with me in 10-20 years, can I? If anything, I would probably spend 55M if I could buy 100K miles in additional 'life' experiences with happiness...

Money can buy things; they can't purchase additional time.

To get even more philosophical, say science cures disease/ageing in the next 100 years, think that will make life better? Hell no, every person would be holed up in their house afraid of getting incinerated/crushed/decapitated by accident.

You got this one life and one life only. Live it by living today (without harming others), not by living for something that may never come.

21. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Couldn’t agree more. I bought my 348 Speciale (not an F430 I know), with 58k miles. And I’m at 66,000 a year later. Oh how good it feels to not care and drive it as frequently as I do. It’s amazing. I don’t envy low mileage owners. It’s less a car, and more like a high end wall mounted art piece. No sense having “blue balls” if you can get it off with a higher mileage lady in RED

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MaurizioAM likes this.
  22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Zero guilt whatsoever.

Not taking any of these cars with you when you kick the bucket.

On your deathbed, do you think you will be thinking "damn...wish I didn't drive my Ferrari as much..." orrr....???

23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My 2016 488 broke 15k mi some time ago.
    Feels good.
    You got some catching up to do, brother
    ;)

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #49 TTR, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    I believe J.G.’s signature line/phrase was actually to counter the financial concerns of driving one’s exotic performance car by comparing it to not having sex with one’s (gorgeous) girlfriend as both can easily be seen as behavior or mentality of a poser rather than a true connoisseur/enthusiast.
    Or at least that’s my interpretation of it.

It sort of compliments another one of my favorite phrases/truths/wisdoms I learned decades ago from a friend and mentor, "Pu**ies will never be heroes !", which I don't believe is meant to suggest anything direct about female anatomy or cats. :rolleyes:

SingleClutch likes this.
  25. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I bought a 991S with 40k miles on it so I wouldn't have to care about adding miles. Sold it for $7k more than I paid for it after driving it for 2 years. I bought a GT3 with 40k miles on it so I wouldn't have to care about adding miles. Sold it for $1k less than I paid for it after 14 months. I just bought a CPO FF with 48k miles on it so I wouldn't have to care about adding miles. High mileage cars with warranty at the low end of the price spectrum tend to hold their value the best. There is always someone wanting to move up to the next level of cars. I will continue this trend.