Triumph GT6 opinions wanted. | FerrariChat

Triumph GT6 opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'British' started by cls, Jun 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My first car was a Triumph spitfire. Bought it for $400, and learned how to work on cars on it. I remember pulling the transmission by bending over and lifting it out of the tunnel by myself. A year or so later, I bought a GT6 for $300. I drove it home, it broke down in the driveway and I eventually abandoned it.

Then just recently I saw an Aston Martin DB4 Zagato for sale and was instantly reminded of the GT6. Which made me consider getting the GT6 in the near future as a project.

I haven't driven a 60's car in a while. My oldest was a 246GT '72 which drove like it was on rails. I remember my spitfire driving the same, albeit with less power. Is the GT6 a capable car? I'm not worried about power, there are plenty of solutions for that, but the rear suspension design and leaf spring always have worried me. Is that a reasonable suspension setup, i.e. is it going to be a confident drive when being pushed? It doesn't look like there are any upgrades for the rear that eliminate the leaf spring, like a coil over conversion for a 911.

Any opinions from present or past owners are welcome.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd go for the Aston!:D

JohnnyRay likes this.
  3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have one I can test drive?

Bluebottle likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Similar experiences with the Spitfire... I was able to compress the front springs with my bare hands when changing shocks..

The rear swing axle was not an issue particularly, probably due to how little weight was on the back. I liked the GT-6, more power.

5. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I bought a spitfire a couple of years ago for sentimental reasons. I love looking at it but not so much driving it as I'm not 20 anymore!

Attached Files:

Boomhauer and Bluebottle like this.
  6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Oh, also the top on the Spit; it literally was a kit. A bag of assorted metal rods and a rolled up piece of vinyl. Had to be 'assembled' on the car, in the rain.

7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I don't recall my '69 being quite that crude.

8. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The mechanism was ok, it was mainly the leaks between the hood and the side windows. I used to arrive at work most mornings with a wet right sleeve and sometimes a wet bum!

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I had one of those as my DD back in the day. Great little car, if somewhat basic, in which I did many happy miles.:)

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh, I remember.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great looking though.

12. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have a Mk3 GT6 that I am restoring, but like Jonny I don't think I'll enjoy driving it now as I did back in the day :)

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One of my earliest cars, and my first foreign car, was an MGB GT that I bought with my own money. I also learned how to work on cars with it because -- I needed to! :)

But older British cars make pretty good hobbies. And the size and simplicity makes them completely unique from cars of today. My "B" was not fast but it had a lot of charm.

It also had a lot of breakdowns to go along with that "charm". :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Never owned a B, but had an A as my DD for thee years (successor to my Spitfire). Great car and very reliable. Traded it for a Healey 3000.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I had a Mk I.... '62. The top was definitely a 'kit.

They made it a true folding top later... Mk III?

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine, Mk. 4 I think, like the one in the photos, had an easily folding top IRRC.

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I had a Vitesse / Sports Six convertible for many years. Reliable? NO! Dangerous? YES! Rear traction? BWAH HA HA, are you serious? Swing axles with a double dose of swing.

I had a friend who bought a GT6 new. Probably the poorest built car I've ever seen. A dedicated owner can probably make something decent out of it.

18. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I had a vitesse convertible when i was 18. I was racing home one day to make sure i made England's game in the world cup and came into a corner a little too quick and did a full 360 spin and ended up in the right direction and continued on without missing a beat, to the on lookers it appeared I did it on purpose but i didn't :eek:

19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I like the looks of the spitfire but you could get out of the car and walk faster!

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Nah.... I drove mine all over NM. It did fine and was a ball to drive.
    No issues in thousands of miles.