430 - F430 to 458 Italia upgrade? | FerrariChat

430 F430 to 458 Italia upgrade?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ARMfastlane, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam
    All,

I’ve been the proud second owner of a ‘08 F430 for just over a year now and I’m considering an upgrade to an early 458 Italia... good idea or count my blessing with the F430?

I got the F430 as it was my dream car when I was your but I’m really drawn to the dual clutch (former Porsche purist) and the additional horsepower.

Any input from another owner that has or had both cars?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 ridege55, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    I currently have an F430 and 458. I hate to say it, but I love the 458 so much more. The 458 is just much more refined (DCT, tech, ride, drive, etc). You really have to drive both to understand the differences. My F430 has upgraded headers and exhaust, and while I love the noise and rawness, the 458 is just a better overall driving experience. However, it really depends on what you are looking for. If dual clutch (as you stated above) is what you are drawn to, then no contest. After driving the 458 and then the F430 immediately after, the shifts on the F430 seem to take FOREVER. Also I always stress out about clutch wear on the F430. Ultimately if I had to choose between the two, 458 wins. Ultimately, you can’t lose if you have either.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I think it’s a matter of preference. I think the 458 is a generational step up, but may be too much like a video game. It’s refined and shifts like it. I do think the 458‘s interior is modern enough to get “dated” quickly. How many 488 and F8 reviews keep saying the interior is dated because it looks like the 458. No one says that about a 360 or 430 except for the lack of a infotainment screen which is early solved with a 6.2” single DIN radio for $250.

The 430, and I’m not trying to justify my purchase of a 430 over 458 here... LOL. is much closer to the analog raw experience. You get kicked in the pants when it shifts and feel very connected to the driving experience. Plus if you get bored it can be converted to a 6 speed which may be the last model you can practically do that with from Ferrari.

Don’t get me wrong if they were similar price and condition, I’d get a 458 just because of the lower maintenance of never needing a clutch. To keep in my budget and still pay cash, my decision was a loaded very clean 2009 430 vs a 2010 458 which needed TLC. As clean 2013 and newer cars depreciate down this becomes a harder decision since the late 2012 and newer had a lot of fixes for the 458 just as the 2008 and newer 430’s did.

I hope I didn’t complicate your decision but helped you feel better about which ever decision you make. Either way you drive a Ferrari and the smile on your face will be the results....

Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sean Chen and ARMfastlane like this.
  4. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam

I’ve driven both and love both cars, a close friend of mine has a 458 Spider.

I like the raw experience of the F430 along with the styling. The F430 was my dream car when I was younger and I said I would never sell it, so maybe I should stick with that plan and wait a bit longer and somehow try and convince my wife why 2 cars is better then one! Lol

I appreciate the input guys! Thank you

Sean Chen and van22 like this.
  5. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Cars are getting more and more perfect; my Tesla Model 3 Performance is faster than my F430, and my 2019 GT3RS up to 80 mph and in the city, no questions asked; faster at everything at low speed, immediate torque, endless right-now acceleration... Completely silent, no emotion... That's one end of the spectrum; for us here, the other end may be a carburetor 308 which hiccups and hesitates and then gives you glorious sounds and meager acceleration but a lot of emotion.

Pick your point on the spectrum... for me the F430 is just the right blend of analog and imperfect while having enough character, more than enough power, and a great sound even from stock and with adjustability of many aspects, traction control, throttle response and shock properties. If you dont have a PDK or other dual clutch bland perfect shifter in your life a la PDK or BMW DSG or S-tronic Audi then you may be drawn to the perfection of a dual clutch 458. But if you do, then I would say F430 is the Goldilocks, just enough of analog and enough of digital ---> perfect mix.

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    DCT never needing a clutch? If it does you will probably be in for a whole new gearbox. The early 458's had various DCT issues which required very expensive gearbox replacements. That may have changed now. I've driven several DCT cars and they go from amazing to boring in no time. Not saying a 458 would be boring though, I'd like one. But the reason I am sticking with my 430 (manual) is because the amazing DCT terrifies me. I can't fix it and it might send me to the poor house.

tatry68, Zed82 and ARMfastlane like this.
  7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I had a 2008 F430 and I now own a '13 458 Spider. I loved my 430 coupe and the car really came alive in the higher rpm range. I fretted over the clutch and it was always in the back of my mind if I was prematurely wearing it out. I also worried about the headers (it had the MKII manifolds). My 430 must have been set up just right because when I bought the car the clutch reading was 94% (F1 transmission). When I sold it, the clutch life was 93%. Granted I only put a couple thousand miles on it but that was the best driving 430 I have been in. I drove other 430's and it was amazing how they varied. One item to note is the sound of the 430 is much more linear and dare I say, as good as the 458.

So why did I sell my 430? Due to the reasons above. Although the clutch would have lasted years, the exhaust manifolds bothered me. Yes, I could have got aftermarket headers, but as I thought about it, I REALLY liked the looks of the 458 and honestly, I wanted a back-up camera and some newer tech. I like having a few modern conveniences and I'm not worrying if I'm prematurely wearing out the clutch with the DCT.

In the end, I would go for a nice, well taken care of 458 over a 430 although I wouldn't pass on a nice Scud.

JaguarXJ6 and ARMfastlane like this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I had a F430 for two years then made the change to the 458. The main reason I changed was the transmission. I did not like how the F1 would wear the clutch and the shifts, especially around town, were a bit clunky. All the other upgrades that come with the 458 were icing on the cake (a lot of icing really). The 458 has also been super reliable.

That said, the F430 is a great car. I miss the low exhaust note as well as being able to see most of the engine in the rear view mirror (you can only see the tail end of it in the 458).

I don't think you can go wrong here. I imagine the price gap with trade-in, taxes, etc. is likely around $100k. My only concern would be whether paying that much extra would give you pause when you went to drive it. If it is a matter of stretching and getting the 458 vs. keeping the F430 and driving the wheels off of it, I would keep the F430. If the price is not a deterrent for using the car the move up to the 458. Since you only had the F430 a year, perhaps keep it another year or two to really get to know the car and then move up. Just a thought.

ARMfastlane likes this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    FWIW, a buddy sold his 458 and got a 430 Scuderia. He describes it as win-win. Yes it has all the weaknesses of a 430 but likely will depreciate less quickly and has more raw feel while being about as quick as a 458.

10. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam

I know you can’t go wrong with either. Unless the dealer comes up with a deal that I can’t pass up (which is highly unlikely) I’ll just continue to love the F430 and anytime I get the itch I’ll drive my friends!!

Sean Chen likes this.
  11. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Is that white over Cuoio?

ARMfastlane likes this.
  12. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes I believe so. That is my friends 2014 458, very sharp, and CLEAN! I wasn’t a huge fan of white Ferrari’s until I saw his.

13. BLAMPEE

Just test-drove a white 458 Spider this morning for the first time.

ARMfastlane likes this.
  14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Sounds like the right plan call me crazy, but i LOVE the styling of the 430 over the 458 I am a very happy (18 month) owner of a 2007 spider its just iconic plus, i never (ever) get tired of seeing that engine under the glass so damn unique!

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  15. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    And? thoughts?

16. BLAMPEE

I absolutely love it.

17. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    darn...I was hoping you would say hated it :) are you a current F430 spider owner?

18. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Sound: F430 -more raw and authentic, less synthetic and louder. Install a valve switch to get full sound at all rev ranges

Styling: F430 last mid engined Ferrari designed by pinafarina. The lines flow better and make more sense but at the same time has a more aggressive stance with air intakes and high shoulders. 458 is more modern look for sure, but imo F430 is more timeless. Looks as relevant today as in 2004.

Comfort/refinement: 458

Feel: F430 -the raw analog experience makes you feel so connected to the car. It gives you confidence because you can feel everything, but at the same time you don't need to be doing breakneck speeds to be having fun. Some see the single clutch shifter as a disadvantage, but to me it's so much more satisfying to have the "kick" when shifting. Shifts in race mode are plenty fast imo. The increased driver involvement never leaves you feeling like you need to go faster

Maintenance: Draw -F430 is older and more likely to need replacement parts however it is simpler then 458 and easier to work on. Clutch issue overblown, as long as you drive it like a manual it'll last a very long time. 458 is newer and built to a higher standard but if something does go wrong it can get very expensive very quickly. Plus the difference in price between 458 and F430 buys you a lot of maintenance budget

I'd recommend the 458 if you had one space for one fun car and needed a car to do a lot of things. It is more refined and easy to live with. A 458 Spider is a great proposition. However if you crave pure focused driving enjoyment and engagement, the F430 is the better choice imo

Sean Chen, ARMfastlane and cole328 like this.
  19. J360M

J360M Karting

Nov 29, 2018
    430, 360, 355, 348 after that - not for me.

It’s more than outright speed for me. Can’t deny that the 458 is incredible and on another plane performance wise, but it will not be more fun (not for me anyway).

I’d imagine as a daily it’s a better proposition/ but you can buy a lot of lovely refined daily’s for the change you will have left over by not buying a 458..

ARMfastlane and cole328 like this.
  20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I would not get a 458 due to the complexity overall and also i´m afraid of owning a DCT out of warranty. DCT-boxes are very complex, they fail and they cost a lot to repair or change. But sure, it´s an easier Ferrari to live with. But aren´t you supposed to wrestle with your Ferrari a little bit? Otherwise you could get a Porsche...

JaguarXJ6 and RedTaxi like this.
  21. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hahaha... of course I am a former Porsche guy. F430 came after a ‘17 Carrera and two different Caymen’s.

Zed82 likes this.
  22. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam
    To throw another perspective in, I dropped my car off at the dealer today for annual service and was drawn to a Nero/Nero 08 599 GTB. V12, sound, and additional comforts are a plus, but it’s a totally different car.

My wife would enjoy being a passenger more in a 599 and I’d be smiling either way.

Would I regret a front engine car, as a former Porsche guy, and current F430 enthusiast?

23. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I thought I wanted a 599, but decided to go to Dream Racing when I was in vegas to test some cars on the limit before purchase. The 599 had more straight line speed but I found the F430 cornered better, felt more planted and was significantly more communicative. I also had another front engined V12 in the stable. The F430 left an impression and immediately after started researching options. They are two completely different cars, for me the F430 was closer to what I was looking for

Sean Chen likes this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The front engined V12 Ferraris are so different to the mid engined V8s in driving and owning experience. I have a gated 430 Spider, a gated 575 (and a F512M). The 430 is fun, exciting, laugh out loud in a way the 575 is not. The 575 has a feeling of composure and heritage and feels more expensive, but it won't have you yelling "yee-hah!" as you exit corners as the 430 does..the 599 is a faster, more perfect but less tactile upgrade from the 575.

It's cavallinos for courses, some people would love a 599 over the 430 for its extra power, comfort, and sophistication, others would miss the laugh out loud factor. It also depends a lot on how you will use it. For weekend fun and backroad blasts over relatively short distances, the 430 will be more fun without a doubt. For more a more comfortable GT experience, the 599. But the 599 really needs to be going very, very fast for it to feel fun, rather than just satisfying. 575 is similar in this.

Personally I'd never sell my 430 for a 599 as a second, fun car. I'm not sure a 458 is any more fun, either - better and faster, but blasting out of a tight corner at legal speeds, not much can beat a 430. Apart from a Scud, or a manual 430.

Sean Chen, ARMfastlane and catdog like this.
  25. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary