For Sale - Ferrari Shims for Valve Adjustment - 308, 328, 348, 456, Mondial, Testarossa | FerrariChat

For Sale Ferrari Shims for Valve Adjustment - 308, 328, 348, 456, Mondial, Testarossa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by asgor, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Used Ferrari Shims for Valve Adjustment - 308, 328, 348, 456, Mondial, Testarossa

I have a total of 16 shims:

- 3.95 (2)
    - 4.00 (10)
    - 4.05 (3)
    - 4.15 (1)

Online vendors are selling these shims between $39.65 and $47.54 a piece, depending on thickness + shipping. Buy the same items here for a fraction of that price (and free shipping!).

$17.00/each and free domestic shipping. Add $3.00/each for international shipping. PayPal preferred.

Be sure to indicate the desired number of shims as well as their thickness.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    2NA likes this.
  3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I know! :eek:

Truth be told the aspirin-sized shims in the image you linked are for motorcycle applications whereas the shims I am offering are about the size of a dollar coin and twice as thick. But even so...

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Are these 29 mm shims like those in the 512TR?

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
  6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Unless there is something I'm missing, your price is kinda high.
    You can buy a Metelli Valve Shim Kit - 29 mm from NewCo Products in California for $399. (818) 341-9216
    That's 112 new shims in various sizes plus tool and a nifty box to boot. I'm no math wizard, but that comes to $3.56 per shim.
    Now, if you already know what sizes you need, and you only need one or two, then your $20 per shim makes good sense. I bought this kit for my last two majors and then re-sold it here on FChat for $300. I needed 8 shims. Win-win.

QV 29MM SHIM KIT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    #7 asgor, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Jimbo, I had no idea what shim sets go for. I am now learning that shims can be purchased quite conveniently in bulk. By all means, if users wish to go that route they are duly encouraged to do so.

If on the other hand someone needs a few spare shims I suppose $17/piece is still better than $400 for 112 of them.

I just have this bag of shims I want gone and I thought that selling them at less than half the price found on typical go-to Ferrari online parts resellers would be appealing.

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I bought the set because I wanted all sizes on hand when I did the valves - you don't know what size you will need until you measure the clearance and take the old shim out and do the math to find the size for the new shim. You also don't know how many valves will be out of spec. In my case it was 8 shims needed. I didn't want to have to hunt down 8 individual shims, wait for them to arrive, etc.
    As I said, if you only need a few, then buying them individually is by far the most cost effective solution. And if anybody is wondering, used shims are just as good as new ones.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One of the good points about shim adjustment for tappet clearance is that every time you change the shim, you get a new, square, hardened surface for the cam interface. This is not the case with used shims.

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I don't think the shims change, they are hardened steel. The valves need adjustment because they recess into the heads so you need a bigger shim to maintain the correct clearance. I always measure new shims just to make sure they are as stated. The ferrari mechanics I know have no problems with used shims. Then again, if I'm going to the trouble to change valve shims, I'm going to use new ones ($3.56 each when you buy a kit).

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    It is! Especially with the free shipping.

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Smaller shim, but point taken.

13. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA