430 - Major issue.... | FerrariChat

430 Major issue....

Discussion in '360/430' started by ahmadj, Jun 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    So yesterday after 2 weeks of sitting in the garage I took my 06 f430 out to work.

arrived 20 miles later finished my day and drove it home.

stopped by a buddies house to
    Pick up a few things and left the car in idle for 3min. Came back out and heard w whining noise from the rear of the car very similar to the f1 pump noise when you open the door. The slown down light came on. It has come on before so I just shut of the car waited a few minutes and tried to start it. No crank. :( slown down light still flashes but now also the red transmission light is on.

Im going to have it towed Monday to my shop. I’m not a Ferrari independent but my guys have done some work on Ferrari’s before. I have the diagnostic tool so we’ll see what I got myself into. Hopefully it’s nothing major. Possibly the f1 relay, or maybe the pump, she’s due for her annual service anyway so hopefully she’ll have mercy on me...

Did anyone experience these symptoms before to a point where it doesn’t even start anymore?

Ahmad

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Post a sound recording so we can help

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    As of now there no sound, because the car doesn’t crank, it’s just check ok light and then then the yellow slow down light and transmission light comes on. :(

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #4 flash32, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Just a educated guess .something to do with charging system

Pulley failure . Serpentine belt came off because of pulley failure
    Alternator/ alternator bearing causing charging issue

The reason is that you heard whining noise and then the car is completely dead that means that something didn't cause the battery to be charged

Need4Spd and SpencerMarks like this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have a diagnostic tool, can you scan for any codes, active or pending and post them here?

6. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
  7. wtam608

wtam608 Rookie

Sep 24, 2015
    Do you have Electronic Smart Relay? If so, try resetting the power from the battery cut off.
    It happened to me twice. I opened the door, no F1 pump come on, 'OK' display on the dash. But, will not crank.
    After the power reset, the pump came on and started without any issue.

8. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    So after sitting for 2 days, and trying the battery shut off switch still no pump noise when opening the door and no cranking on car since is won’t jump to neutral.

Had the car towed and did a diagnostic.

Got these codes back.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
  10. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    I don't think you can read the diagnostic properly. Ill post it again with my PC.
    I have not cleared any codes yet, and I will be checking the relay shortly as the car has just arrived on a flatbed.

Attached Files:

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I would be checking out the battery voltage first. Very easy, and a weak battery seems consistent with the above faults. There may be a mechanical issue too, but you need to get this one checked off the list first.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I had mentioned earlier to check your Serpentine belt .. I wondering if a pulley went and the belt came off .. either that or a bearing in alternator..both of which would cause the battery to get weak and then cause these faults

I know this is a repeat but not sure why it was ignored ..

Check the front of the engine and see if you see anything wierd ..black dust ..belt off etc

Charge the battery and try again ..

Like the previous post said ..all pointing to a charging system issue

Eric C likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Most of those errors are typical in a low voltage scenario, but based on what you've said it sounds like the F1 pump has died. It's worth confirming the cause because it could be the relay or low fluid.

14. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Battery would be my guess. Could be over voltage but most likely low voltage.
    What battery is in there? Are you using a tender? In what mode?

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can get a volt meter that plugs into the aux power socket from Amazon , about £8 . It will pick up the volts drop when the starter goes in , as well as the charging volts. Red LED display. Handy if you think you have an ongoing problem

16. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm using a optima red top battery.

It died a few months ago and i hooked up the tender for 3 days. It seemed to be working after that. However I'm still waiting for a proper diagnostic from the mechanic.

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My experience of Optima batteries isn't great, and if they have been discharged then they are generally damaged.

brian.s likes this.
  18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I just fitted a Yuasa to mine, seems good so far and 5 year warrantee .Lets face it they supply most motorbike batteries

mwstewart likes this.
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Th
    These are a cheap and handy thing to fit. Plug into the power socket for a volts readout and 2 x usb On Amazon for £5
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  21. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    This was what I was going to say. You can damage an AGM battery if it isn't designed to work with them. Most charges have a "mode" that you have to select.

Also, could be more than one issue, such as a short in the F1 hydraulic motor that is messing with your electrical system. The lightshow you're seeing in your dash is very typical of a voltage problem.

22. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    So after looking at the car, we checked there was power at the 50amp relay.
    No power to the pump. Checked the fuses and behind the seat there’s a 30amp fuse that was blown. I replaced the fuse, and as soon as we did the fuse blew again.

Car is not starting, again.

So as of right now I need to find out why the fuse keeps blowing up.

Any suggestions??

30amp fuse keeps blowing up as soon as the key gets turned. :(

23. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Perhaps a shorts circuit?

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Disconnect the pump motor and then if the fuse does not blow you know its the motor at fault- if it still blows then check the wiring to the motor or the relay base, only other thing is that the pump is seized

KC360 FL likes this.
  25. ahmadj

ahmadj Rookie

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks my tech traced the issue to a bad pump. Fuse does not blow when pump is disconnected, and he also used a meter and conncluded its the pump.

So I'm inclined to order a new f1 pump (electronic motor)
    a new relay, and also upgraded fuse.

Any recommendations on which ones to buy?

Sergio Tavares likes this.