Interesting 3x8 Technical/DIY Threads | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Interesting 3x8 Technical/DIY Threads

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    classicalfas likes this.
  2. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I’m having the same problem...indeed it’s going to Mclaren

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    which links? if you are using the app, there is currently an issue on Tapatalk's end. Try using your mobile browser instead

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  4. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    On web browser is working fine

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Love your posts. Have done the first two per your videos. Next up the rear cover.

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Thought I'd post my liquid collector -
    Lots of posts of folks dropping plugs & such into oil & coolant.
    I made this a bunch of years ago. Chicken wire over the Pep Boys fluid pan. I used screws as every once in a while I need to go into the tub & wipe it down, remove debris & Such.
    It's caught many a plug. It's great if a tool slips out of your hand. The tool wont fall into the oil or such. And you can rest the oil filter on it & let it drain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavlino, ragtop1, turbo-joe and 6 others like this.
  7. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
  8. Neil Kathol

Neil Kathol Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, CA
    Full Name:
    Neil Kathol
    Wondering if there’s anything on replacing a 308 clutch, or diagnosing. While I wait for the shop I contacted here in Calgary, Canada to get back to me. The shifter will go in any gear when the engine isn’t running. Running, it will go into reverse but after a while after warming up, it will not (just grinds - have to stop the engine to get it in reverse). After a while, getting it into first is also very hard. Of course I am double clutching and first, putting it into an “easier” gear (then trying reverse). Any ideas on the problem - I realize probably need to get the clutch exposed for a look. Any photos or forum threads on this - I looked through all the topics and transmission category but saw none. Thanks.

9. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Birdmans site has a good tutorial on clutch replacement
    http://www.birdman308.com/service/clutch/308_clutch_replacement.htm

If I had to guess at your problem from the description, possibly a failed input shaft bearing

tomberlin and Neil Kathol like this.
  10. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  11. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Hi Neil,
    If you move your question to the discussion area, I am sure you will get some help. "Search" is also much better if you scroll down and choose "Style" and then "Old". At least I think it is better.
    Good luck!
    /Peter

Neil Kathol likes this.
  12. Neil Kathol

Neil Kathol Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, CA
    Full Name:
    Neil Kathol
    Thanks Peter! I am not very familiar with blogs and find it challenging. So thanks for the help!

13. Neil Kathol

Neil Kathol Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, CA
    Full Name:
    Neil Kathol
    Thanks very much, RJLlod!
    What a helpful suggestion. I learned a lot reading it.
    Thanks for your thoughts on what could be wrong, I am imagining it in my (inexperienced) mind - the pressure plate is properly deformed "straight" meaning it is moving away from the clutch plate when the pedal is depressed ... all as it should be ... but the input shaft bearing - which I believe means the sometimes-called "release" bearing on the long shaft that runs from the flywheel to the gearbox ... is seized particularly when warm, and it's inner ring is still turning not coming to a halt ... anyway as you can tell I am ... enjoying learning.
    What I am finding is, with this issue, it is a lot of labour to open up the clutch to see what is wrong and one may as well buy a "kit" and replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, what Ricambi et al. refer to as the "release bearing"/input shaft bearing ... and ... by doing that, enjoy a good clutch for another bunch of miles (car has 60K miles and don't know if its clutch being done before).
    That said I am half of a mind to order a release bearing, follow Birdman/Eric Leung steps and give it a whirl. Given I am not experienced and can afford a mechanic will probably go with the former.
    Last thing - parts - Superformance of the UK is cheaper by half for this kit than the US source I found - https://www.awitalian.com/, if you know of any suppliers that provide ok parts and decent prices can you let me know?
    Any additional thoughts and help, appreciated! Sorry to ask so much of your already-helpful response!
    Best, Neil

14. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia
    Hi. I still have the first Ferrari that I purchased in 1976. It is a 1974 Dino 308 GT4 chassis No 08218. The car has been off the road for 25years as a result of a dropped sodium filled exhaust valve. I am now doing a complete restoration and need some information. Please can anyone give me the big end and small end conrod specs.
    I suspect that I will be calling on this groups extensive knowledge and experience for help in future.

Thanks
    Mike

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Post a new thread in the 308 section.

16. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia

17. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia
    Have done. Thanks.

18. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    Neil, not sure if you resolved your reverse problem yet but I had the exact same problem with my 83 308 QV. While changing the clutch helped the real issue was the silent bloc's on the shift linkage where worn out. With time the rubber on the stock bushings degrade and flex when shifting. I replaced them with "Delrin" bushings from Unobtainium Supply and fixed the problem. While I had it apart I also change out the shaft seals and put in redline transaxle fluid. The car shifts like new now and couldn't be happier with the results.

19. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  20. fer308qv

fer308qv Karting

Jul 12, 2006
    Patchogue
    Full Name:
    Matt Kellers
    Ferraridoc, miketuason and absostone like this.
  21. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I also got a similar part from the local BMW dealer to replace mine in a 1983 QV. Good thing the knowledgeable guys here on F-Chat gave me the data, or I would have spent a fortune sourcing it from Ferrari.

fer308qv likes this.
  22. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Not sure where to file it. But a German video of the 308 QV Bosch fuel injection system being fixed. Use automatic english subtitles. It works great

eurocarguy101 and Du_Man like this.