Ferrari cars "repainted" | FerrariChat

Ferrari cars "repainted"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Hi everybody,
    What do U think about F cars that has been repainted just for "refreshing". Does that make any sence to U? (I mean specially for closer to 20Y cars).
    Is that common?
    Would it have any value effect if it has been done for no accident or damage reasons?
    *I am reffering to repainting with exact factory color ofcourse:)
    THX,,,

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Ferrari owners are a fussy lot, so value could potentially be impacted. If the work was 1st class, well documented and photographed, the negative impact may be largely, if not totally mitigated.

3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Run a paint meter around a half dozen brand new Ferraris on a showroom floor sometime. Many of the new ones have paintwork. Paint happens frequently for quality control at the factory or due to shipping damage/repair.

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You can be banned for using the term "Quality Control" and Ferrari in the same sentence. Only new Ferrari I ever had was a Challenge Stradale. Paint was a joke. Orange peel everywhere. You could see the undercoat in various places. Hell of a car, though. I didn't spend much time looking at the paint.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am super finicky. If there’s a tiny ding or chip on my cars, they go to the body shop mucho pronto. Some people can live with barely noticeable flaws. I cannot. It has to be perfect.

I have a 2001 360 spider that I may well re-finish the front on. Most people would look at it and never notice. But I do notice and it’s a Ferrari. It’s should be flawless.

I have an immaculate 2010 Land cruiser, and by now I am quite certain I have painted every panel except for the top, some more than once. I couldn’t care less about resale - it’s my car to take care of. If some idiot says my car is worth less because it’s kept perfect, oh well!

Island Time likes this.
  6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think it is fine to repaint any car .. just needs to be a quality job and should be the original color ... lots of Ferraris have had a front bumper refinish or other repairs look at the 550 and 575's many of them had issues with the roof
    panel weld and were resprayed at some time or another .... but if you are going to do it need to do it right remove the
    glass and weather striping and remove the bumper if you are repainting it etc.....
    on the other hand a great paint expert can rework a factory job to make it consistent and beautiful I had one of my cars the factory paint was poor so we got an expert to wet sand the car and then fully detail it wanted to keep the orange peel consistent with a high quality factory job after 100 hours it looks beautiful and paint is in factory consistency with zero new paint used just a lot of fine tuning..

Island Time and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 Island Time, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    I just paid $3500 to repair the outside of the bed of a $6500 pick up truck. I like my stuff nice.

I think most people do. I'd choose a pretty (repainted) Ferrari over one that needs paint. I agree it needs to be done well.

edit: I just remembered I hit a deer with my 328. I took it to Atlanta to some Ferrari guru I learned about here for repairs. The front clip had to be repainted. When he was finished with it, it looked better than it did before the accident. Didn't hurt the value at all. Last I heard, the guy was showing the car at events.

BigTex likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Modern Ferrari paint jobs, as owners are posting is nothing to write home about...so "no change in value"..

The detail is in your final statement:
    "As long as very little documentation or especially CRASH DAMAGE was the cause.....", owners are well advised to reach for the wallet and pay cash, I have on some pretty major work..

Keeps it on the "down low"...not that it matters on a five digit VIN!!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1...some people call it maintenance, and a car in use these days gets the *&^(& beat out of it by the unwashed masses...

Island Time likes this.
  10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I believe there is no point deduction for a repaint in the Concurs de Elegance. Sounds crazy and looking for citation.....but I did come across that fact and pointed it out to my wife when I did.

11. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Very interesting comments.
    THX guys,,,