FERRARI and FIA push for more Girl-drivers! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FERRARI and FIA push for more Girl-drivers!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dino2010, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I didn't notice any of this difference you tell.

I have watched a few very talented girls in karting that later moved to single seaters or touring & GT cars. My conclusion based on just a few cases is that women can't beat men in motorsport due to the lack of aggressiveness, which in turn I think is due to the lack of testosterone.

I am not a doctor and I don't want to have any kind of prejudice, but the best female racing drivers I can remember they are all very unfeminine (Beitske Visser, Bia Figueiredo, Jamie Chadwick).

Bas likes this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    These two are midway there...

JLF and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    In karting, the shorter & lightest you are, the better.

That being said, I met a driver from Lithuania (Simas Juodvirsis) who became europen champion in KZ2 and he was over 1,90m

Bas likes this.
  4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    For whatever reason, my experience is that women as a group just aren't into cars/racing in the same way men as a group are. Maybe cars trigger some primal DNA codes that tell men to go out hunting and tell women to organize the village and look after the tribe's most precious asset, the children. Same happens with guns, extreme sports, etc. Some women do enjoy and compete well in all of this but not in proportion to their percentage of the population.

At the same time, there are physical differences which is why they have kept women competing in separate sports from men...martial arts, gymnastics, etc.

And then there is also plain old gender bias that goes back to primitive times.

All in all, evolution (mental and physical) will work it all out.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    In racing, the only thing that matters is winning. I couldn't care less what sex the driver is.

Gender might get you into a car over another driver, but results matter.

Danica got a ride because of her gender, but it wasn't enough to keep her around when she couldn't win.

I don't doubt some backmarker F1 team will soon have a pay driver that happens to be female. But I don't see Ferrari or other top teams running a female driver that does not have proven results.

Bas, paulchua, Isobel and 1 other person like this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For whatever reason there are very few female drivers entering motorsport - I believe this is the main reason for the rarity of talented ones, it's just about statistics.
    Some times ago most chess champions were Russians - just because more or less all Russians played chess, which provided a huge pool of players, of which a few were brilliant; it didn't mean French or Pakistanese or whatever were not physically or intellectually able to play chess as well as Russians, but since their players were very few in comparison, the odds to have some of them brilliant were far lower.

Nembo1777, stavura and Bas like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What does it matter what gender the driver is? There also seems to be a lot of gay jokes with Hamilton. I certainly don't care who Leclerc or Vettel shack up with after the race; what matters to me is winning. The folks that seem to care, are you trying to get your daughter to Hamilton and get into a relationship? Why else would anyone care?

That said, I invite all people from all backgrounds, races, genders, orientations, whatever on all racing events based on their performance.

If they can get the times, I don't care what they define themselves as long as they are not cheating - more power to 'them.'

Isobel, ricksb and william like this.
  8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Danica could drive and qualify but was not a front runner racer mix it up driver. Take the money and ride around driver

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

She achieved more than many guys she raced against.

paulchua likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Completely agree, it is a percentage game, like panning for gold.
    My ex is completely fearless with a super fast mind, very fit with perfect control of her body, I think she could have been a serious contender...but I never even managed to get her to come to a kart track, not interested...

I think Simona de Silvestro had real potential but money shortage intervened.

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #36 Flavio_C, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Unfortunately all the female drivers from recent years were average racing drivers at best. Simona is an example.

One wasted talent was Ana Beatriz (Bia Figueiredo). She is one of the best female drivers that I saw a few times (at the track) racing. She now races stock cars in Brazil and once and while is invited for some IMSA races where she easily puts a second over her other female team mates. Unfortunately she couldn't get sponsorship to stay in Formula Indy, where I'm pretty sure she would destroy Danica Patrick.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Like it or not, Danica won an honest race in IndyCar (top tier racing). Unlike any other female in several decades.

william likes this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It was pure luck.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That happens so often for young talents.
    The power of sponsors is so important to pursue a career, and their decision isn't always logical.

15. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #40 Giallo 550, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Aww, I would have no problem dating Jamie if I was 22. She's got the girl next door thing going on, but that's not the reason why I wish her luck. She's a talented driver and it will be interesting to see how she does.

william likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I
    Thanks Izzy, that picture of Gilles just made my day, i bet he could flog the Stroller driving that mustang against his racing point :)

stavura, Isobel and 375+ like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Why not 23??

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    after sacking Checo for being faster than lancelot, papa stroll could try his sister...she certainly has the looks!

19. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Okay okay, 21-25ish! Maybe 26.

20. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I’m pretty sure I can flog the Stroller with my Mustang, and I’m no Gilles...

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Liking the new avatar;)

Giallo 550 likes this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #47 Jack-the-lad, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Being a scold is not a good look.

.....and he got more likes than you did. :)

23. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I think Simona de Silvestro was better than some here are giving her credit for. She won three races in Atlantics. In Indy car she 'only' got one podium, although she was unlucky to miss out on others. She never had a really good ride though. The closest she came was when she did a couple of races for Andretti, in what was a 4th car in the days before they had such a big team.

I think the best 'might have been' from recent times was Katherine Legge who managed three wins, some more podiums in Atlantics, Danica for comparison never won an Atlantics race in her two years in the series. She moved up to Champ Car the next year, when they were absolute monsters of cars, possibly too soon. She never really got a good shot once she managed to get into Indy car (as opposed to the now defunct Champ car series), but I honestly believe she's a better driver than Danica. Not being American or have Danica's looks, she wasn't the the sponsors dream that Danica was. But hey, racing is not fair and far more drivers of talent don't make it than do regardless of gender.

It's funny that both Simona and Katherine were both unlucky enough to end up driving in Lotus powered cars in 2012. I hope a book or decent article gets written about the history of that train wreck of an engine project one day.

When people talk about Danica, Katherine and Simona they often point out that they aren't as good as the top male drivers, ignoring the many other male drivers, in the same series at the same time, who they were/are clearly better than.

I wish I could have seen the likes of Divina Galica, Desire Wilson (*) Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James etc. race. They were paving the way in F1 and Indy car at a time when men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

(*) Remember Desire is still I belive the only woman to win a race in an F1 car, although it was in the British F1 championship which did have drivers such as Eliseo Salazar, Guy Edwards, Kevin Cogan etc. in it, so while it wasn't a world Championship series, it did have some serious drivers.

24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Bia Figueiredo destroyed both Simona de Silvestro and Katherine Legge on Daytona last year.

https://motorsport.motorionline.com/2019/02/06/legge-figueiredo-e-de-silvestro-dallindycar-alla-24-ore-di-daytona/

The reality is that there are only two women in history who were able to challenge the best drivers: Michèle Mouton and Lotta Hellberg.

Adrian Thompson likes this.