F430 Hydraulic Steering Pump Removal Issue | FerrariChat

F430 Hydraulic Steering Pump Removal Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Metastable, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#1 Metastable, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Hello - Trying to take off the power steering pump to look for an oil leak. I have removed the 2 bolts, tapped it with a mallet, but it does not want to pop off. Am I missing something here? Is there a strange voodoo happening, or is there some third anchor point I don’t know of?

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/430-group/f430-05-08/hydraulic-steering-pump-and-tank.html

Picture is attached. Also, the leak is not from the power steering pump because the oil colour is very clean looking motor oil, not the red power steering fluid currently being used.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    If I remember correctly, it is doweled to the block, it may take a few taps to get it free.

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They like to leak oil from the horizontal portions of the front cover

4. Metastable

#4 Metastable, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    So I was looking at pictures of pumps and came across this one. Where does the bolt on the left go? The 10 mm bolt and the long Allen bolt have been removed. I don’t see a third bolt on the parts diagram.... except for the one holding the wheel in place.

5. Metastable

Yes, I am thinking you are correct, but I want to get a clearer picture first. Any ideas why the pump is not coming off?

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I believe it holds the pulley on the shaft.

Metastable likes this.
  7. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    There is a third bolt with an allen head at the top center of the pulley. You have to line the pulley up and insert your finger into the top pulley hole to feel it.

Metastable likes this.
  8. Metastable

Wow thanks! I believe this is the culprit you are talking about? It isn’t in the parts diagram.

View attachment 2959464

Attached Files:

brian.s likes this.
  9. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Yep, that’s it. I recently had the same challenge.....

10. Metastable

Thanks again! Something was not feeling right.

AandSC likes this.
  11. Metastable

Finally got around to removing the power steering pump. You can see the hidden bolt in the picture. Note the picture is not true to vertical. The bolt as AandSC pointed out is at 12 o’clock. This bolt is not shown on the part diagrams I have looked at.

You need a 5mm Allen. That other bolt you see in the picture not related to the power steering pump is the same 5mm size..... if anyone is wondering if they have the correct size Allen key. It is also much more visible.

For reference the other more visible bolts used on the power steering pump are: 6mm Allen and 10mm socket. Hopefully this clarifies things for others.

AandSC and EastMemphis like this.
  12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Good to know gentlemen, thank you for the information.

brian.s likes this.